shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this ruby from Thai Native Gems?

Beacon75

Rough_Rock
I have really appreciated this forum and the time spent by members to educate us all. I used it years ago to purchase my wife's engagement ring, and we have since been blessed with a July baby. My wife would like a piece with his birthstone so I am looking to have a small pendant made. I have zero experience with rubies.

I'd like member's opinion of this 2 carat stone with consideration of its price etc. GRS doesn't consider it their pigeon's blood standard, which I understand, and do see a lot of pink tone to my eye (along with the ambiguity and over-use of the P'sB terminology in marketing). I'm not as clear on using pictures alone to identifying excessive extinction in a cut, windowing/too shallow a stone etc. I'd full stop at visible inclusions but they seem much more tolerated in a ruby vs. diamond as I realize color is the first driver. I prefer higher transparency but worry the color saturation seemed lacking in the video. Finally, the lopsided cutlet location seems obvious to me but again I don't know if that's such a big deal with a ruby. And of course we are talking about a sub $5k ask.

All insights, opinions, suggestions welcomed! Sorry I couldn't figure out how to paste individual pictures from the dealer's site.

http://www.thainativegems.com/produ...-oval-cut-unheated-untreated-mozambique-ruby/

Video:

Attachments

• IMG_0527.PNG
    IMG_0527.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 56

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found the pictures a little difficult to interpret but I am quite sure there is a window, only that I don't know how major or minor it might be. The shape is also a roval so it'll need a custom setting. Colour looks quite nice, even if it isn't a pure or saturated red. Stone looks transparent and clean enough to me and there is the reassurance of the GRS lab memo to prove that it is untreated.

It is definitely worth taking a look in person. Do note the below on their return policy though:

We do accept 100% refunds for loose diamonds or gemstones (not finished jewelry products) within 7 days after purchase, if the item is bought locally in our Bangkok office.

For items shipped internationally or made in jewelry, please contact us within 2 weeks of receipt of item. We will take 10% administrative & restocking charges for shipping the item back, so we highly recommend the customer to be fully satisfied first before purchasing.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've never been 'fully satisfied' before ordering............

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At the very least I'd get a handshot before purchasing. A leaf that color is uncommon, so I'm wondering if they haven't amped up the saturation in the video. I'd hate for you to purchase, be disappointed and return it - in essence, paying them 10% for the privilege.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks pretty, nice transparency. It does look like it has a window (dark area in middle) I don't know how bad that will be once it is set. Definitely worth a look.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, just watched the video. The stills give me pause because it does appear as if they've amped up the red hue in the photos, but I don't see it quite as much in the video. Its worth a shot.

Beacon75

Rough_Rock
Much thanks for all the replies. I'll see if I can't get some more pictures, hand shots perhaps a little less staged and in average indoor and outdoor light. Straight on and backlit may be easier to interpret vs. the angled tilt window ones on the website. At least they placed the stone on a brown leaf and not a poinsettia or rose petal.
Chrono thank you for the fine print consideration. $495 is no doubt an expensive potential gamble for a first hand look. I also hadn't considered the rounded oval dimensions (assume that's the "roval"). Since a custom setting would be needed, does any name come to mind that might be skilled at setting to "close" a workable window? Chrono I also reached out to Seenu in Ceylon-Sri Lanka who sends you his best.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A couple things:
1. Straight on hand shots is good
2. Do not use backlit pictures to gauge colour.

Yes, roval is a very rounded oval, almost round but not round enough to be considered a round. Minimizing the appearance of a window will depend on the severity of the window and it can also affect the perceived colouration of the stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results