shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on mixing cuts?

Erinsews

Rough_Rock
I am in the market for a new diamond pendant, and I’m curious what you all think about mixing diamond cuts. My everyday studs are 1ctw MRBs and my ring is a three-stone with a 1ct round MRB center and .6ctw pears. I’m interested in something like the Brian Gavin Barbara bezel pendant.
Here’s my question: Should I stick with a MRB diamond for the necklace, or would it be okay to look for an OEC? I’m really drawn to their chunky facets but wonder if it would look weird because it’s different from my other diamonds.
Additionally, what ct weight would you recommend? I was thinking of about .7 so that it would be bigger than the earrings but smaller than the necklace. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Erinsews

Rough_Rock
Anyone have any thoughts to offer?

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have no issues mixing different shapes or cuts on my jewelry.

Regarding size... stay within your budget but make sure they have a fantastic upgrade policy :lol:

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I mix MRB, OEC, Transitionals and other cuts all the time. I love the variety! .7 is a lovely size for a pendant.

Erinsews

Rough_Rock
I mix MRB, OEC, Transitionals and other cuts all the time. I love the variety! .7 is a lovely size for a pendant.
That’s good to know. Thank you!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My ering is a proprietary step cut, my studs are OEC, my current RHR is a rose cut cluster, my second and third earrings in each ear are some random old cuts, and my pendant is an OMC.

You want to mix it up? Go for it. :lol:

Regarding size, what @tkyasx78 said.

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am all about mixing the cuts. You yourself can enjoy a variety and others will not really think much about it. The cut of our jewelry is typically less important for people around us. At maximum, they will care about the size :twisted2::lol::D

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wear what you like! I've honestly never paused mixing cuts and CS.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I say mix it up. Beautiful diamonds and gemstones come in all shapes and sizes and colors and it's all fabulous.

diamondsfabulous.gif

Erinsews

Rough_Rock
Yay! Thanks, guys! Now to find a good source for OECs...:think:

Erinsews

Rough_Rock
Oh, geez, down the rabbit hole... I got myself pretty well educated on MRBs and now I’m starting from square one. :eek-2:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I mix up every and anything when it comes to jewelry my favorite thing is mixing step-cuts with any other type of cut, I enjoy the contrast.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love mixing cuts and metals!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mix it up!
I own a transitional, MRBs, an OEC, a cushion and a princess (that one's not actually a diamond, but you wouldn't know, if I didn't tell you.) And, as KKJohnson said, I mix the metals, too. The above are a mix of white and yellow gold. If I ever get the chance to add in other shapes or rose gold, you better believe I will :P2
Jewelry should be fun!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol: Welcome to my world! Calling @missy to help with some tips for picking out an OEC. =)2

Old World Diamonds, Parks Fine Group Inc, Jewels by Grace, Ivy and Rose, Love Affair Diamonds, XOtheBijouxBox

Love your recommendations @JPie and this is where I would start. @Erinsews go through all the threads here (at your convenience) that highlight old cuts and see what flavor(s) you adore. There is no shortcut per se but just looking at as many old cuts as you can (online and IRL).

Here are some threads to get you started:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/old-cut-lovers-please-sign-in.113724/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/dreamers-old-cut-guide.178095/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/old-cut-craze.223149/

I would then call Adam at Old World Diamonds and talk to him and tell him what you want and your budget. And if you are lucky enough to be able to make a trip to NYC (or maybe even live here better yet) he will show you all the old cuts in person and teach you about them too. He is very knowledgeable and when I and some fellow PSers were first learning about old cuts Adam taught us so much. He is very generous with his time and sharing of knowledge. And his old cut selection is the best. His inventory huge and filled with old cut treasures.

This is a good place to start. And we are here for any questions. Enjoy the journey and the search. :appl:

Erinsews

Rough_Rock
Oh dear, I just saw this one acv123 is selling. Bigger and lower in color than I was looking for. But I bet it would be gorgeous set in a rose gold BGD Barbara with milgrain. My hesitation is with the color. It looks gorgeous in the pics, but I recently swapped out my center H color diamond for an E because the yellow tint bothered me. I think it was because it was set against some very white pears, though. I’m guessing a stand-alone lower colored diamond wouldn’t bother me. And this looks more peachy than yellow. https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-old-european-cut-lots-of-pics-inside.244705/

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh dear, I just saw this one acv123 is selling. Bigger and lower in color than I was looking for. But I bet it would be gorgeous set in a rose gold BGD Barbara with milgrain. My hesitation is with the color. It looks gorgeous in the pics, but I recently swapped out my center H color diamond for an E because the yellow tint bothered me. I think it was because it was set against some very white pears, though. I’m guessing a stand-alone lower colored diamond wouldn’t bother me. And this looks more peachy than yellow. https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-old-european-cut-lots-of-pics-inside.244705/

It's very pretty. If you like the faceting and you don't think the peachy brown color will bother you it might be a sweet deal. But only you can determine if the color is good for you. And the I1 clarity. But because of that it is a nice price. If you are interested I would ask to see videos and more photos. It might just be perfect for your pendant.:love:

Erinsews

Rough_Rock
It's very pretty. If you like the faceting and you don't think the peachy brown color will bother you it might be a sweet deal. But only you can determine if the color is good for you. And the I1 clarity. But because of that it is a nice price. If you are interested I would ask to see videos and more photos. It might just be perfect for your pendant.:love:
im not sure I even know what to look for in terms of the faceting. I love that sort of flower pattern I’ve seen, but not sure how to tell in pics if that’s really present or not.
Here’s another I found. Thoughts? I think I probably just need to spend some time thinking about what I read want. https://loupetroop.com/listings/rings-natural-diamond-center/0-dot-68-carat-oec-est-h-vs-from-cvb

Erinsews

Rough_Rock
That was “really” want. I thought I wanted an icy little sparkle set in white gold, but suddenly I’m thinking of a warm glow set in rose gold. Very different, so I probably need to cool it before making a purchase.

Erinsews

Rough_Rock
I just found out that Erica from Love Affair Diamonds is located in the very same smallish Washington town that I am. Fate?? I think so! Hoping to meet her and see some OECs in person. :appl:

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just found out that Erica from Love Affair Diamonds is located in the very same smallish Washington town that I am. Fate?? I think so! Hoping to meet her and see some OECs in person. :appl:
That’s awesome! She designs beautiful settings too. Post lots of pics please!

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If it were me, based on the size of the studs and your wedding set, I would go for one of the slightly smaller stones you've listed, like the one from Erica or the 0.68 on Loupe Troop. The one acv123 is selling is lovely, but for me, it's size would be a little too close to the size of the center stone in your ring. But that's me; I'm weird about always wanting my ring to be the "dominant jewelry item" compared to studs/pendants - especially if the studs/pendant are daily-wear items. Not everyone is as OCD about that kind of thing as me. :eek2: It does sound like doing a lot of looking and getting an idea of what really speaks to you in an OEC is smart!

Lucky you, living in the same town as Erica! If I did, I would be in So. Much. Trouble.

Erinsews

Rough_Rock
If it were me, based on the size of the studs and your wedding set, I would go for one of the slightly smaller stones you've listed, like the one from Erica or the 0.68 on Loupe Troop. The one acv123 is selling is lovely, but for me, it's size would be a little too close to the size of the center stone in your ring. But that's me; I'm weird about always wanting my ring to be the "dominant jewelry item" compared to studs/pendants - especially if the studs/pendant are daily-wear items. Not everyone is as OCD about that kind of thing as me. :eek2: It does sound like doing a lot of looking and getting an idea of what really speaks to you in an OEC is smart!

Lucky you, living in the same town as Erica! If I did, I would be in So. Much. Trouble.
Totally agree. I really like that 1ct, but I share the feeling that the e-ring should ideally be dominant.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results