shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on David Klass halo setting and wedding band

MissNat

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone!

Posted the CAD in another thread and figured I should make a thread for the ring instead. I got some really good notes and appreciate all your thoughts on the CAD below.

2012 I bought a custom setting from BGD together with a diamond from JA. It's, what GIA calls it, cut-cornered square modified brilliant. It's 0.8 ct F VS1 and I love it. Doesn't love the setting anymore though and I would like to have some more finger-coverage. So now when it's time for us to finally tie the knot I decided to go for something different. Throughout the years I have started loving halos and especially halos with bigger diamonds that looks a little bit like a flower. So that is what I'm going for together with the shared u-prong wedding band.

So please give me your thoughts and reflections!
I already know the I will need a spacer (not completely sold on it but understand why ;)2)

50853-QUAD.jpg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey: Just curious, have you had a chance to see a similar halo style with a like diamond ... like maybe at a local jeweler?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally would ditch the collar. Not only are you going to have to worry about it rubbing your wedding band, it just looks like too much going on.
I fear that your center stone is going to get lost in the halo, collar, and diamonds on the shank and wedding band. Just my opinion.

MissNat

Rough_Rock
:wavey: Just curious, have you had a chance to see a similar halo style with a like diamond ... like maybe at a local jeweler?

No, unfortunately not. Don't think we have anything close to it over here.
Had these two in mind when figuring out what I wanted:
https://www.rockher.com/halo-engage...-engagement-ring-large-diamond-platinum-shank
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...rande-diamond-halo-engagement-ring-item-53046

Do you think it will work or is totaly crazy? :shifty:

MissNat

Rough_Rock
I personally would ditch the collar. Not only are you going to have to worry about it rubbing your wedding band, it just looks like too much going on.
I fear that your center stone is going to get lost in the halo, collar, and diamonds on the shank and wedding band. Just my opinion.

So ditch the collar and what do you suggest I'll do so that the center stone wont get lost?

MissNat

Rough_Rock
If you get rid of the collar, I would bring the stone and halo down... although I may be biased because I like lower profile rings.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I don't like the low profile on my current e-ring so that is actually one thing is going to happen. I believe that low profile makes the diamond smaller on me and it doesn't pop like I want it too :)

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, unfortunately not. Don't think we have anything close to it over here.
Had these two in mind when figuring out what I wanted:
https://www.rockher.com/halo-engage...-engagement-ring-large-diamond-platinum-shank
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...rande-diamond-halo-engagement-ring-item-53046

Do you think it will work or is totaly crazy? :shifty:

First, let me state the obvious: I won’t be the person wearing it; you will. So you should go with what you love & want. Any feedback we share on here is just from experience and - in some cases - a fair amount of ‘trial and error’, so we try to help folks not repeat some of our own mistakes by sharing those experiences.

That said, I agree with @tyty333 that I would also find it too busy, and fear the asscher would get lost in the setting with such large melee diamonds in the halo, the shank, the wedding band, etc. It’s just a look I personally find too busy, and feel it would detract from/overwhelm the asscher. Here is a really quick halo/asscher mock-up as close to ‘scale’ as I can get for size melee noted in the CAD and your diamond’s size to give you a sort of visual.
2E07FE2B-3D24-4C47-95A4-D68D6F01A4C3.jpeg
Again, you may LOVE this look, and that is absolutely and perfectly okay. I just feel like it helps to see as close to what a real expectation may be before getting too far down the custom path because I’ve been there a few times, and it doesn’t always end up pretty. Sometimes, what we *think* we would love doesn’t always come to fruition in the end result, so I just want to be helpful in that regard; not to dissuade you from going with your own heart/wishes. :wavey:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I don't like the low profile on my current e-ring so that is actually one thing is going to happen. I believe that low profile makes the diamond smaller on me and it doesn't pop like I want it too :)

If you really want the asscher diamond to pop, I do not believe you will achieve that by using such large halo diamonds; rather, the opposite.

Others may chime in here and correct my perception, but it would appear to me - based on the CAD - that the halo will overwhelm your asscher diamond, and the halo will be the focal point when looking at your ring vs. the asscher.

ETA: now, if the halo were comprised of, for example, sapphires or rubies or another colored stone creating more contrast/definition between the halo and the diamond, then I think your assher would stand a better chance of ‘popping’ more. Just a suggestion/thought.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree- lower profile can make the stone appear smaller :)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So ditch the collar and what do you suggest I'll do so that the center stone wont get lost?

Well, I would probably remove the diamonds on the shank of your ering and go with solid metal. That emphasize your main diamond but would also
add interest IMO by introducing an area that was not covered in diamonds.

The other option would be to go with smaller diamonds on the ering and wedding band shanks. Since you want a "flowery" look to your ering you
could keep the larger stones on the halo.

I just noticed that @the_mother_thing echoed some of my concerns and posted a lovely ring that lets the main diamond get more of the attention.
Also eliminates the need for a spacer ring.

I also want to comment that this ring is not for me so fill free to ignore my comments!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just noticed that @the_mother_thing echoed some of my concerns and posted a lovely ring that lets the main diamond get more of the attention.
Welllllll that’s probably not a good representation because the halo/ring are a little fuzzy while that asscher diamond is super clear, which actually distorts what I was trying to show (that - IMO - the asscher would appear to be gobbled up by the halo proposed in the CADs). I would prefer smaller diamonds in the halo ... or even consider a slightly off-color halo (think yellow or pink diamonds, or rubies, sapphires, etc.) to really make (in OP’s words) the center diamond ‘pop’.

But again, I’m trying to tread carefully here because it IS OP’s ring to wear & love; not mine.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here’s another example I stumbled upon, from Ritani, I believe. These halo diamonds are actually smaller than what is proposed in the OP’s cad, but I think this better reflects what I was thinking about the central diamond appearing a little ‘lost’ in the setting ... if you can imagine those halo diamond about 20% larger. For me, my eye doesn’t know where to look.

C56F34A6-1900-4456-8E90-D03AD07DCEB6.jpeg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I totally agree with this. I'd remove the collar - but also the diamonds down the shank. This will visually separate your e-ring from your wedding band and will emphasize both of them. A much more elegant look.

ETA Gorgeous center stone, tho! And I love the cluster look, given that I'm doing something very similar with DKJ myself!

MissNat

Rough_Rock
Thanks to all of you! I really do appreciate to hear all of your thoughts and wont get offended. :)
I have considered before to go with only a metal shank and might think that over again. I can see that it's a little bit busy.

Don't know if I would make any difference but It's not an asscher that I have. It's the shape of an asscher but it looks like a brilliant :) Maybe it doesn't change anything for you but I felt obligated to point i out since they are nothing alike but the shape.

Unfortunately I can't find a good picture of it right now..
IMG_2468 (1).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2468.JPG
    IMG_2468.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 13

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MissNat Ahhh, seeing it up close, I can tell now it’s not an asscher ... it looks like a cushion, perhaps? I thought it was an asscher based on the CAD rendering using that outline/facet pattern for the center stone and noting ‘emerald’ for it.

If that’s the case, that actually makes more firm my belief that your center stone may get ‘lost’ in all of that bling, since there’s less differentiation in facet pattern between your center diamond and the cut of the diamonds in the halo. :(2

MissNat

Rough_Rock
@MissNat Ahhh, seeing it up close, I can tell now it’s not an asscher ... it looks like a cushion, perhaps? I thought it was an asscher based on the CAD rendering using that outline/facet pattern for the center stone and noting ‘emerald’ for it.

If that’s the case, that actually makes more firm my belief that your center stone may get ‘lost’ in all of that bling, since there’s less differentiation in facet pattern between your center diamond and the cut of the diamonds in the halo. :(2

Nope, it's not a cushion either. Found the ASET that shows the diamond a little bit more clearly.
1510064aset.bmp.jpg

Right now I'm thinking that I will remove the collar and the diamonds in the e-ring and go for an eternity wedding band instead :think: I want a whole lot of bling but I still want it to look nice of course!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love: @MissNat do you have the lab report which might identify the cut? I’m really curious now, seeing that octagonal shape and arrows.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do have the report from GIA and it says "cut-cornered square modified brilliant"
It's really one of a kind and I love how it sometimes look round and sometimes more like a square.
It's like a cross between a cushion, princess, and radiant. Where did you purchase it from???

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, it's not a cushion either. Found the ASET that shows the diamond a little bit more clearly.
1510064aset.bmp.jpg

Right now I'm thinking that I will remove the collar and the diamonds in the e-ring and go for an eternity wedding band instead :think: I want a whole lot of bling but I still want it to look nice of course!

I like this idea! The other alternative if you don't want a plain shank on the e-ring band is to do smaller pave like 1/2 or 3/4 of the way around the shank. Then you could get a bigger/more blingy eternity band, and get away with a small spacer. I agree with others that the large stones around the shank might "eat" the center stone, and will end up not having as much contrast as you want. Sometimes if too many stones are the same size, it ends up looking like one giant thing instead of each piece standing out.

I think smaller pave or a plain shank looks amazing with a blingy eternity band!

EDIT. when I say "smaller pave" I mean like what you have in the pic you posted of your other ring. So the diamonds on the shank will be much smaller than the ones on a bigger eternity band. That way they are clearly separate pieces, and both will stand out more (IMHO, of course!)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, I keep posting and then thinking of other things! Of your inspiration rings, I MUCH prefer the JA one, because the halo has bigger stones and the shank has smaller. That's what I was talking about, and that's what I think would work best to make sure things don't just look all the same.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welllllll that’s probably not a good representation because the halo/ring are a little fuzzy while that asscher diamond is super clear, which actually distorts what I was trying to show (that - IMO - the asscher would appear to be gobbled up by the halo proposed in the CADs). I would prefer smaller diamonds in the halo ... or even consider a slightly off-color halo (think yellow or pink diamonds, or rubies, sapphires, etc.) to really make (in OP’s words) the center diamond ‘pop’.

But again, I’m trying to tread carefully here because it IS OP’s ring to wear & love; not mine.

Got it @the_mother_thing...I just think that in the original picture you posted the difference between the shank size diamonds and the halo diamonds
helped to put more emphasis on the head (vs not knowing where to look because everything looked the same). The center stone may still disappear
in the halo due to the larger halo stones. I would even rather see a double halo with small melee. It will make the head bigger but not over shadow
the middle stone as much. However, she wants the flowery look and that wont give it to her.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone! It's a H&A radiant cut! GOG used to sell a bunch of them and they pop up on James Allen from time to time....

Yes. @rainydaze has one, I believe, which I think she got from James Allen. You can see it in her avatar and I also link to it in my Pricescope Hall of Fame thread.

They're a very cool cut

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
I think a floral cluster-type halo for this stone is a wonderful idea! As others have mentioned though, the current CAD is a bit overwhelming, and everything gets kind of lost.

My first inclination is to agree with mrs-b and others, that a plain shank on the ring will allow the cluster to pop, and will look lovely with an eternity band. The plain band will be the easiest way to combat the "great wall of bling" effect. And a diamond cluster on a plain band is a very classic, timeless design (it is all over the place in Victorian rings! If/when delicate halos pass their heyday, your floral cluster will maintain old world charm :) )

However, having pave in the shank is not impossible. I actually think the James Allen setting you posted is very very successful at attaining what you originally envisioned. A quick explanation of why:

On the hand, the chunky halo stands out and looks light and delicate on the hand. This is in part because of the very thin shank relative to the size of the head (as lovedogs pointed out)
upload_2019-1-30_21-4-26.png

More specifically...
1) The pave and the shank actually tapers in a bit as it approaches the head. This visually makes the head stand out more.
2) The pave in the shank is channel set, giving the shank a linear rectangular silhouette that is very different from the flowery curves of the cluster.
3) The cathedral setting of the head means the head is set higher and "pops out" more to the eye, as you mentioned before. If you like cathedrals, I think this is a very good way to add vertical interest to the ring, while eliminating the problematic donut in the orignal CAD.

All three points can be seen in the view below of the JA setting.
upload_2019-1-30_21-12-11.png

But the BEZEL! I think this is an excellent idea. A bezel around the center stone will help differentiate it from the big halo stones. Alternatively, a halo around the whole curvy silhouette of the cluster will emphasize its flowery shape and differentiate it from the shank pave. You could also do a bezel on both and get the best of both worlds :) Plus added diamond protection.

Here are some examples of all three options. They are round center stones bc that is more common, but it should help you visualize the concept.

Bezel just around the center stone:
upload_2019-1-30_21-19-45.png

Bezel just around the halo (ignore the awful prongs):
upload_2019-1-30_21-20-27.png

Bezel around both:
upload_2019-1-30_21-21-24.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-30_21-4-15.png
    upload_2019-1-30_21-4-15.png
    389 KB · Views: 16

agingsparkle

Shiny_Rock
I think bezel setting something -- to get the center and halo separated -- would be a great idea. If you don't love the thought of bezeling the center stone, how about the halo, similar to this DK ring? https://www.instagram.com/p/BtLxJGKFEjf/ Definitely gives the flower look while having the center stone rising up out of it makes it pop.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results