shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoroughly lost

msw2b

Rough_Rock
Hi!!

I'm getting married next month and as of yet I'm ring less! We have a budget and I've just been down a rabbit hole of wishy washy. I'm not diamond educated enough to be confident in my choices. Can you help me?

Here's where I am at:

Our budget is $15k for the diamond. And I'm stuck between 2 settings.

I started off at Whiteflash and their ACAs because I really love their butterflies setting.
https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...-butterflies-diamond-engagement-ring-1288.htm

I love how swoopy everything is. But then I was questioning if the 6 prongs would be too much metal showing. So then I'm looking at their trellis setting.
https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...tone-trellis-diamond-engagement-ring-1427.htm

I was looking at a 1.5 G SI1 ACA but I'm told it has been sold. I am looking at 1.5+ because a 4 is bad luck in my culture and my FI is quite superstitious. And a G color because I am a little bit color sensitive. For reference I have a 1.10 GIA J color diamond so I figure G would be ok.

But then I saw the expert selection and I like this one even though it's an H color.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4042793.htm

After that, I started looking at other super ideal brands and I found CIH diamonds by Victor Canera. These 2 are on my list now.

https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/wqfnen-1.527-g-si1-ideal-hearts-arrows-round

https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/ags104093675002-1.500-g-si1-ideal-hearts-arrows-round

But I'm wondering if it would be silly to do 2 different vendors.

As you can see I am all over the place. Please help!

msw2b

Rough_Rock
@MissGotRocks Thank you! I will only look at Whiteflash diamonds. That narrows it down a bit for me. The 1.5 G you posted is really nice but above our budget :cry2:

@kmoro Hi!! I've been trying to look for examples of 1.5 cts in 6 prong settings and I always feel like it's too much. Maybe the pictures are just so blown up and they're more dainty in real life? I want the daintiest look possible. My ring size is 3.75.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@msw2b what is your budget for the setting and the sidestones?

The closest six prong example I can think of is Frankie’s old ring with a 1.7ct center and 0.23ct side stones, size 5 finger:

843003C8-6A03-449B-9CEF-1F6440BD2983.jpeg

I also have a three stone with six prongs on center and while mine is a bit larger at 2.1ct, I think that 6 prongs is nothing to worry about as they will keep the stone secure and protected without overwhelming the diamond.

msw2b

Rough_Rock
@SimoneDi Oo!! Thank you!! That makes me feel much better. I'm pretty set on the butterflies setting then. I really love how swoopy it is. The setting on Whiteflash is $3325 and it includes the side stones. I'm guessing it's .25 each.

Our budget for the center diamond is $15k.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't automatically rule out VC options (1.50 looks good if eye clean), because he can custom make anything and make it look better. I assume you've already checked his 3 stone settings, but it won't hurt to give him a call for a custom estimate. I absolutely LOVE his hand forged top precision work, so I don't want you to miss out of the option, especially since you're worried about having a delicate dainty setting. One way or another, you don't seem terribly lost. LOL
You can't lose going with Whiteflash, and good options are already on the table.

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @msw2b ! Just for reference, I have the Butterflies setting and imo I don't think it has too much metal. It's stunning from the side, especially. That said, I do prefer six prong settings in general. Mine is .403-2.261-.403, but I have a size 6 fingers and big hands. The size you are thinking is going to be awesome on such a small finger!

I also had mine made with the ruthenium alloy and it pairs absolutely perfectly with the plain 2mm Tiffany classic band I have. (Just in case you were thinking a plain band.;)))

I have photos all over the place, but for reference here are a few:
IMG_7584.jpg IMG_7752.jpg IMG_7691.jpg IMG_7758.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't automatically rule out VC options (1.50 looks good if eye clean), because he can custom make anything and make it look better. I assume you've already checked his 3 stone settings, but it won't hurt to give him a call for a custom estimate. I absolutely LOVE his hand forged top precision work, so I don't want you to miss out of the option, especially since you're worried about having a delicate dainty setting. One way or another, you don't seem terribly lost. LOL
You can't lose going with Whiteflash, and good options are already on the table.

As someone who has owned both handforged and cast trellis settings - from these vendors in particular, actually: the WF Butterflies setting was my first custom project - I strongly recommend going the cast route. Casting allows for “unrealistic” graduations in metal wire diameter across the length of the wire (“unrealistic” in quotes because yes, trellis wires could be hand-shaved, but I don’t want to imagine the labour costs!)... and those “unrealistic” graduations, like thickening the wire at the base of the basket and thinning it out as it curves upward to cradle the stones, create a dynamic fluidity that makes handforged same-diameter wirework look flat and lifeless by comparison.

This is about choosing the best tool for the job. Casting is the best route for this job.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
As someone who has owned both handforged and cast trellis settings - from these vendors in particular, actually: the WF Butterflies setting was my first custom project - I strongly recommend going the cast route. Casting allows for “unrealistic” graduations in metal wire diameter across the length of the wire (“unrealistic” in quotes because yes, trellis wires could be hand-shaved, but I don’t want to imagine the labour costs!)... and those “unrealistic” graduations, like thickening the wire at the base of the basket and thinning it out as it curves upward to cradle the stones, create a dynamic fluidity that makes handforged same-diameter wirework look flat and lifeless by comparison.

This is about choosing the best tool for the job. Casting is the best route for this job.
That does make a good sense for the trellis design. I did notice the VC orchid setting and it looks somewhat like what you've described. I suppose that's where the casting would be superior to avoid the intertwined look. But damn those VC prongs and metal work - they're so awesome.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Each diamond in my 5 stone is held by 6 prongs, and they are each a lot smaller than you're considering (largest is .70ct) and even at that size, I don't feel that there is too much metal at all.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah congrats @msw2b! I am sure that your new ring will be stunning!

I would match the width of the band to that of the e-ring shank.

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
@SimoneDi I didn't! We just ordered it! Thank you so much!!

@Siamese Kitty OMG that's TDF! I love it!! Does it cost extra to request the ruthenium?

We have a 1mm plain band but I'm wondering if maybe 2mm would be better now.

Thank you so much.:) To answer your question, yes I do think it was an upcharge. For me it was honestly worth it, though. It doesn't scratch as much in my opinion and I knew I wanted the T & Co wedding band that has the same alloy. I also have kids, cats, and clumsiness. I would try a few widths on and see what you like. My sales associate liked the 3mm, but I went with the 2mm since it was closer to the 2.3mm the Butterflies is at the widest point. (I think-pls double-check in case I'm wrong!) It fits perfectly against the basket height-wise. Whiteflash could probably do a matching one as well. I'll attach a few photos here to show what I'm talking about. Both bands look thinner in person, fwiw. Photo quality is awful, sorry!

IMG_8313.JPG IMG_8314.JPG IMG_8309.JPG IMG_8310.JPG IMG_8293.JPG

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much.:) To answer your question, yes I do think it was an upcharge. For me it was honestly worth it, though. It doesn't scratch as much in my opinion and I knew I wanted the T & Co wedding band that has the same alloy. I also have kids, cats, and clumsiness. I would try a few widths on and see what you like. My sales associate liked the 3mm, but I went with the 2mm since it was closer to the 2.3mm the Butterflies is at the widest point. (I think-pls double-check in case I'm wrong!) It fits perfectly against the basket height-wise. Whiteflash could probably do a matching one as well. I'll attach a few photos here to show what I'm talking about. Both bands look thinner in person, fwiw. Photo quality is awful, sorry!

IMG_8313.JPG IMG_8314.JPG IMG_8309.JPG IMG_8310.JPG IMG_8293.JPG

My platinum wedding band from Tiffany's doesn't look like that anymore after many many years. :bigsmile:
That shiny look may have lasted a few months, but now looks brushed with patina.

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
My platinum wedding band from Tiffany's doesn't look like that anymore after many many years. :bigsmile:
That shiny look may have lasted a few months, but now looks brushed with patina.

Yes, mine still looks almost new without any repolishing but it is just over a year old. I am also good with my rings in the sense that I take them off when I get home, don't always wear them around the house, etc.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, mine still looks almost new without any repolishing but it is just over a year old. I am also good with my rings in the sense that I take them off when I get home, don't always wear them around the house, etc.
Ahh OK. I take off my diamond e-ring for any chore, but I wear my wedding band 24x7, and it really doesn't come off anymore because of my swollen knuckles.

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Ahh OK. I take off my diamond e-ring for any chore, but I wear my wedding band 24x7, and it really doesn't come off anymore because of my swollen knuckles.

With the way my RA has been going that will probably be me some day soon! After I sent this I thought about my husband's band which is the same one, different width. He wears his 24/7 and his definitely looks worse! I kind of like it, though. It looks like we've been married a long time, haha.:bigsmile:

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
With the way my RA has been going that will probably be me some day soon! After I sent this I thought about my husband's band which is the same one, different width. He wears his 24/7 and his definitely looks worse! I kind of like it, though. It looks like we've been married a long time, haha.:bigsmile:
I just checked my husband's thicker band and it looks pretty much the same as mine.
In the beginning, I would get upset when he lifted heavy weights with it on and made big scratches, but soon later we both started abusing the rings. Gardening, chicken coop building, rock mulching - you name it, we put these rings under hella wear. They really haven't changed at all since the brushed patina set, and completely maintenance free. ;)2

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My wife usually takes off all her jewellery when we get home. I used to wear my bands 24/7. Lots of “patina”. Now they’re only on when I’m not doing gardening, cleaning up, washing etc.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
My wife usually takes off all her jewellery when we get home. I used to wear my bands 24/7. Lots of “patina”. Now they’re only on when I’m not doing gardening, cleaning up, washing etc.
Wow, you're the only guy I've heard who takes off his ring for some chores - my husband had to took off his ring a few times during a few outpatient hospital visits. My nephew and his wife who golf opted to wear rubber ring pair instead during their sports activities.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, you're the only guy I've heard who takes off his ring for some chores - my husband had to took off his ring a few times during a few outpatient hospital visits. My nephew and his wife who golf opted to wear rubber ring pair instead during their sports activities.

Anything involving water and some type of cleaning liquid, I leave them off as surprisingly, my left hand ring finger appears to have shrunk in diameter (my grandfather’s platinum ring now acts as a stop for the yellow gold wedding band falling off). Usually, it’s the other way around after marriage (fingers and bellies tend to increase in size!)

Even when swimming, I tend to leave my rings off. Hell, at times my wife and I go out together sans jewellery (with the exception of our watches). The fact that we are chasing around our toddler is enough for people to recognise we are together!

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
the yellow gold wedding band

Gold bands do wear down and get thinner over the years.

Good idea taking off your band for water, especially salt water. My brother lost his wedding band during his honeymoon when he swam in the sea with it on.
He was devastated but ended up getting an upgraded Cartier replacement soon enough. lol

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd take my ring off before I go to bed. :P2

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also have a three stone with six prongs on center and while mine is a bit larger at 2.1ct, I think that 6 prongs is nothing to worry about as they will keep the stone secure and protected without overwhelming the diamond.

:wavey: Hi SimoneDi - Any chance you might have a picture of this ring posted somewhere that I might check it out? TY!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results