carat
color
clarity

This DK ring

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You_Doodle_2019-04-20T15_21_48Z.jpg
This is from DK's Instagram. Does the owner happen to be on here?!!?
It's beautiful!
Are these considered collet set stones in the halo?
Or what would you call them?
Closest I could find is this one
You_Doodle_2019-04-20T15_21_24Z.jpg
Which really looks like collets.

I've recently come to the conclusion that I 'need' a halo...........

sunandsky

Shiny_Rock
There’s a similar one (could be the same) with a brown center that I think might be fortekitty’s

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That halo does look like an antique collet style. I wonder if DK incorporated the halo from an old ring.

I’m also a huge fan of the more floral look. I still kind of regret not jumping on this one (click to enlarge):
71040C97-0744-4281-9091-39893027C419.png

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There’s a similar one (could be the same) with a brown center that I think might be fortekitty’s

Yes! That's sure pretty as well, but those are set much differently.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That halo does look like an antique collet style. I wonder if DK incorporated the halo from an old ring.

I’m also a huge fan of the more floral look. I still kind of regret not jumping on this one (click to enlarge):
71040C97-0744-4281-9091-39893027C419.png

That's beautiful- I'm loving the daisy-ish vibe!
I'm thinking pulled from antique as well, I just haven't seen other examples yet.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's beautiful- I'm loving the daisy-ish vibe!
I'm thinking pulled from antique as well, I just haven't seen other examples yet.
They’re a little less common but I do see antique ones pop up on IG from time to time.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had talks with DKJ about doing something similar, but more along the lines of the Leon Mege Lotus ring, which I *think* he no longer does. I prefer this style of setting the sides, as it doesn't have metal right around the side stones. My plan was to set my yellow sapphire like this - and I may still. There's a couple of significant changes I'd make to this design, but this is the general idea re pointed tips and not fully encompassing the sides in metal.

Lotus petals.jpeg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What? Your yellow sapphire three stone or a different yellow sapphire @mrs-b ?
Leon’s is pretty!
I bought a blue sapphire - don’t have it yet- that I think is screaming out for a setting like this. I’ve even picked out a gallery. I am so ahead of myself it ain’t funny.
We shall see.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rfisher -

It was a true line ball which setting I went with for the yellow sapphire. I went with the three stone, but I have to be honest, I can't shake this whole daisy design!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That top ring in the first post isn't what I normally consider collet set. I do love that style halo, though! Fortunately I have seen antique rings with that style, so I think anyone is free to make one like it!

This is what I usually see called a collet setting. However, I have seen collet used for bezel setting. And I would consider that top halo with bezel or bead set stones.

ColletSetting.jpg

Last edited:

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fortunately I have seen antique rings with that style, so I think anyone is free to make one like it!

DS, I find this comment a bit off putting.
Comments like this makes people shy away from posting on RT or SMTB for fear of being called out for "copying"

@Rfisher I love your design mockup. I especially like different graduated diamond size in the halo or petal look.

Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Comments like this makes people shy away from posting on RT or SMTB for fear of being called out for "copying"

@Rfisher I love your design mockup. I especially like different graduated diamond size in the halo or petal look.

Thank you for the compliment on the mock-up. We will see where it goes!

And for the other comment-
Unfortunately it’s the elephant in the room.
I deeply regret my participation in a different thread that lead to this direction. Was never my intent.

Reactions: D&T

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you for the compliment on the mock-up. We will see where it goes!

And for the other comment-
Unfortunately it’s the elephant in the room.
I deeply regret my participation in a different thread that lead to this direction. Was never my intent.

Just to make sure there is no misunderstanding, my comment was not directed to any person. There was a comment above about LM having made that style halo before and was maybe no longer making it. Antique rings are not currently being made by the original maker and can be reproduced by current jewelry makers. This is certainly one of them (I used to have a picture of an antique ring with this exact style halo), and DK did a nice job on the halo!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to make sure there is no misunderstanding, my comment was not directed to any person. There was a comment above about LM having made that style halo before and was maybe no longer making it. Antique rings are not currently being made by the original maker and can be reproduced by current jewelry makers. This is certainly one of them (I used to have a picture of an antique ring with this exact style halo), and DK did a nice job on the halo!

My comment about the elephant in the room was directed towards the PS community board generally. I should have worded it differently. There's been comments made over multiple threads by different posters over the past week here that I don't think would have been said, had that one thread gone differently.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Rfisher -

It was a true line ball which setting I went with for the yellow sapphire. I went with the three stone, but I have to be honest, I can't shake this whole daisy design!
:lol-2: Daisies are addicting!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results