shape
carat
color
clarity

The one that got away...

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
A recent thread on Rocky Talky got me thinking. Anyone have stories of the diamond, the ring, the bracelet, the piece of jewelry that you found, almost bought it right away, decided to research it, compare it, analyze it and found yourself unable to pull the trigger on it, only to have someone else snatch it up just as you decided it was exactly what you wanted?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found a CBI diamond I thought would be ideal for my good lady's ring at HPD and was in touch with Wink about it, but it sold!

Miraculously the buyer decided that they wanted to go bigger and returned it, which meant I was then able to snap it up :))

The chap who returned it was on here at one point, IIRC!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not exactly an answer to your question DH, but I had been stalking a stone for quite a while... the videos: just make some popcorn and tuck in beside me and let's sit here on the couch and watch them a thousand (more) times... the photos: should I blow them up to 8 X 10 or 11 X 13 for framing?... the setting options: have you ever been to the end of the internet and back? I have!

And then it was Gone. From. The. Site.

WHAT?!

WHERE?! WAS?! MY?! STONE?!

?!?!?!?!?!

I texted the vendor late. It was a sleepless night. The next morning... DING!

A message back!

My litle lovely had gone off to GIA to be certed, but was expected back in about ten days. (The lack of cert, I'm convinced, is the reason it hadn't sold to that point.) I committed on the spot -- at 6:15 in the morning, toothpaste on my chin and sleep still in my eyes -- to buy it!

Awaiting delivery this week...

And earlier this summer, another stone (same vendor coincidentally) that I stalked incessantly, with panic ensuring when it disappeared, this time to get set because it wasn't selling loose so the seller though a setting would help it. Well it did -- helped Unit right into (onto!) my hot little hand.

Ironically I haven't bought any jewelry (of any substance) for YEARS, but in the span of a few months two things from my bucket list have materialized, I thought been snatched away, and ended up mine. Thank you jewelry gods!

Last edited:

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Yes! It was probably 7 years ago now. There was a vintage ring in platinum on consignment at a local jeweler-- still looked brand new with an incredible transitional F color 80 point center and this perfect setting. I ended up passing on it, though it was at a really good price, because I thought I wanted a larger diamond in lower color. But when that failed to capture my heart... I went back for the transitional and it was sold. I still regret passing on it.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
When I first started sending my now husband pictures of what I liked, I fell in love with a ring off ebay (and still have the images saved). Vintage, OEC, filigree, it had everything that I ever wanted in a ring. I knew that he wasn't ready at the time to make the purchase since it was to be sold that week, so it still went in the inspiration email- but without a link.

first.jpg

I'll someday get a ring designed after this one.

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
A 0.7, vs2, GIA E diamond in a really nice, solid 18k bezel setting for under $2000. In my size. I was sooooo tempted, but because the GIA paper was from 1995 it had no angles and I couldn't check the HCA score. Still wondering if I missed out on a good thing, but then if I got it I wouldn't have gotten the cluster ring on its way to me now... so if the cluster ring blows my mind then it all worked out. :P2 That cluster better blow my mind!!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two come to mind - I tried on a beautiful mid cornflower blue sapphire ring, I went back to buy it the next day and it was sold, and a thick 1.20cm (wide) Antique diamond band that had mixed size Antique diamonds in no particular pattern just encrusted all the way around it was a sparkle monster and one of the most beautifully made pieces white gold outside diamonds covering the whole thing and rose gold inside (the diamonds were all closed backed).

Again I went back for it and it was sold. I still consider the diamond band particularly, the one that got away. I've never seen anything like it since - it was obviously custom made.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread makes me sad, maybe because when you miss out on something it's hard to forget about it and then you run the risk of trying to compensate by buying other pretties but they never scratch the itch completely :sick:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh! I just remembered one! There was a 1.7 ct "yellow" MRD one time that I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on. In reality it was probably just a low (S-Z) color and not really a yellow, but I could have set it in a yellow bezel and played what color it had up a bit. I still think about it...

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This brooch. I forgot to bid on it at auction, and it got scooped up for a song by an Instagram seller.

B1FCCC6A-A745-44D2-8395-04216ED11C9B.jpeg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
More 4 peaks amethyst than I can count that has been falling through my fingers for a long time with the prices steadily rising.

A pair of .8x s-t mid brown with a hint of pink in some lighting RBs superbly cut. $800 but I could have got them both for $600 cash.
A pair of 1ct+ mid-brown RB's less well cut but stunning $1600 for the pair but they would have took $1200.
That was well before brown diamonds really took off in price.
Not that I really had a chance at these:
Some of the larger diamonds by the cutter that cut my wifey4vr's diamond.
Kenny's asscher that he sold.
And of course every Octavia ever cut! I love them all!!!!!!! :}

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I found a CBI diamond I thought would be ideal for my good lady's ring at HPD and was in touch with Wink about it, but it sold!

Miraculously the buyer decided that they wanted to go bigger and returned it, which meant I was then able to snap it up :))

The chap who returned it was on here at one point, IIRC!

That's fantastic! I wonder why it was returned - what a happy development for you!

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Not exactly an answer to your question DH, but I had been stalking a stone for quite a while... the videos: just make some popcorn and tuck in beside me and let's sit here on the couch and watch them a thousand (more) times... the photos: should I blow them up to 8 X 10 or 11 X 13 for framing?... the setting options: have you ever been to the end of the internet and back? I have!

And then it was Gone. From. The. Site.

WHAT?!

WHERE?! WAS?! MY?! STONE?!

?!?!?!?!?!

I texted the vendor late. It was a sleepless night. The next morning... DING!

A message back!

My litle lovely had gone off to GIA to be certed, but was expected back in about ten days. (The lack of cert, I'm convinced, is the reason it hadn't sold to that point.) I committed on the spot -- at 6:15 in the morning, toothpaste on my chin and sleep still in my eyes -- to buy it!

Awaiting delivery this week...

And earlier this summer, another stone (same vendor coincidentally) that I stalked incessantly, with panic ensuring when it disappeared, this time to get set because it wasn't selling loose so the seller though a setting would help it. Well it did -- helped Unit right into (onto!) my hot little hand.

Ironically I haven't bought any jewelry (of any substance) for YEARS, but in the span of a few months two things from my bucket list have materialized, I thought been snatched away, and ended up mine. Thank you jewelry gods!

This is a happy story! I am curious, did the lab report match the stats as advertised or did you get a change in anticipated color, clarity, cut (or even carat)?

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes! It was probably 7 years ago now. There was a vintage ring in platinum on consignment at a local jeweler-- still looked brand new with an incredible transitional F color 80 point center and this perfect setting. I ended up passing on it, though it was at a really good price, because I thought I wanted a larger diamond in lower color. But when that failed to capture my heart... I went back for the transitional and it was sold. I still regret passing on it.

This is a sad story. I imagine whoever has it is ecstatic, though.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A ruby and diamond ring at an antique jewelry story. I loved it but decided to think about it. I saw it around 11:00 AM on a Saturday. The store was closed on Sunday. I called as soon as they opened on Monday and it had sold on Saturday afternoon. That was years ago and I still think about that ring.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a happy story! I am curious, did the lab report match the stats as advertised or did you get a change in anticipated color, clarity, cut (or even carat)?

Carat and color matched, the clarity was not as good as expected. But I committed to buy the stone and told the vendor I would take it regardless of the color and/or clarity that came back on the certificate, all I wanted was to be sure it was natural with no indication of enhancement or treatment of any kind. I'm a "buy the stone and not the paper" sort of girl so I wasn't hung up on the stats.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Very early in my jewelry buying days, I purchased a three stone morganite ring set in rose gold from an eBay vendor. It was very affordable. When it arrived, it fit perfectly and the morganites were the most beautiful pastel pink, well cut and without window. I fell in love immediately. The only thing that bothered me was a black mark on the inside of the shank. I didn’t know why there would be such a mark on a gold ring. So I took it to a jewelry store and the jeweler told me that despite its gold hallmark, it wasn’t gold.

Afraid I had been cheated, I messaged the vendor and he asked me to send the ring back to him for testing. I did and he tested the ring as having the correct gold content. He then asked if I wanted the ring back if he cleaned up the black mark for me. I said yes, but the only problem was I was moving provinces at the time and would have no permanent address for at least a month. No problem, he said, he’d hold it for me until I got my new address.

A couple of months later, I send my new address over and ask for my ring back. This time I got a reply from the seller’s brother saying that the vendor just got married and was on his honeymoon. He could not find the ring but would keep looking. This dragged on for months and the ring could not be found. They concluded the ring had been misplaced and issued me a full refund.

I kicked myself. Why did I send it back? Even if it was plated, I would have loved it and worn it. I bought a couple of three-stone morganite rings after that, hoping to find the same magic, but in vain. They had to go. Now I have a very pretty morganite halo ring that I like, but it’s more on the peachy side rather than the beautiful pink of the one that got away.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Carat and color matched, the clarity was not as good as expected. But I committed to buy the stone and told the vendor I would take it regardless of the color and/or clarity that came back on the certificate, all I wanted was to be sure it was natural with no indication of enhancement or treatment of any kind. I'm a "buy the stone and not the paper" sort of girl so I wasn't hung up on the stats.

That's great!

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Very early in my jewelry buying days, I purchased a three stone morganite ring set in rose gold from an eBay vendor. It was very affordable. When it arrived, it fit perfectly and the morganites were the most beautiful pastel pink, well cut and without window. I fell in love immediately. The only thing that bothered me was a black mark on the inside of the shank. I didn’t know why there would be such a mark on a gold ring. So I took it to a jewelry store and the jeweler told me that despite its gold hallmark, it wasn’t gold.

Afraid I had been cheated, I messaged the vendor and he asked me to send the ring back to him for testing. I did and he tested the ring as having the correct gold content. He then asked if I wanted the ring back if he cleaned up the black mark for me. I said yes, but the only problem was I was moving provinces at the time and would have no permanent address for at least a month. No problem, he said, he’d hold it for me until I got my new address.

A couple of months later, I send my new address over and ask for my ring back. This time I got a reply from the seller’s brother saying that the vendor just got married and was on his honeymoon. He could not find the ring but would keep looking. This dragged on for months and the ring could not be found. They concluded the ring had been misplaced and issued me a full refund.

I kicked myself. Why did I send it back? Even if it was plated, I would have loved it and worn it. I bought a couple of three-stone morganite rings after that, hoping to find the same magic, but in vain. They had to go. Now I have a very pretty morganite halo ring that I like, but it’s more on the peachy side rather than the beautiful pink of the one that got away.

This makes me sad - I wonder if the local jeweler was incorrect, or if the eBay seller got it wrong?

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
This brooch. I forgot to bid on it at auction, and it got scooped up for a song by an Instagram seller.

B1FCCC6A-A745-44D2-8395-04216ED11C9B.jpeg

WOW! I love that piece! Too bad - hopefully someone who can appreciate it ended up with it.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it was 3 years ago, JBG had this wonky 1.6 OMC, K SI1 or something. It was not quite cushion, not quite round, and I LOVED it. The canadian dollar has sucked vs the usd for the past while, so it was much more in CAD, and I couldn't justify it. It went on a crazy sale, and I was 99% sure and ready, but I still waited. I think it sold a week after. I was looking at it for literally a year lol. It was such a lovely interesting stone!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I have one that got away but then I got it back 2 plus years later...proving (to me) it was indeed meant to be.

It wasn't snatched up from under me as I had first choice to buy it but I couldn't rationalize spending the money at the time and was also reluctant to sell my (at that time) OEC ER. There was another buyer who wanted the OEC and after much deliberation I told the vendor to let her buy it as I was going to have to pass. I spent 2 plus years thinking and feeling sad about "the one that got away" and regretting the decision. All that time I was searching high and low I was unable to match its beauty with any other OEC. Fast forward to 2 years later and long story short it came back to me. Meant to be.

Not how I wear her but a fun photo anyway.

bubbalahand5bands.jpg.png

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think it was 3 years ago, JBG had this wonky 1.6 OMC, K SI1 or something. It was not quite cushion, not quite round, and I LOVED it. The canadian dollar has sucked vs the usd for the past while, so it was much more in CAD, and I couldn't justify it. It went on a crazy sale, and I was 99% sure and ready, but I still waited. I think it sold a week after. I was looking at it for literally a year lol. It was such a lovely interesting stone!

Strike when the iron is hot, I guess... well, when the iron is hot and the CAD is too...

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Well I have one that got away but then I got it back 2 plus years later...proving (to me) it was indeed meant to be.

It wasn't snatched up from under me as I had first choice to buy it but I couldn't rationalize spending the money at the time and was also reluctant to sell my (at that time) OEC ER. There was another buyer who wanted the OEC and after much deliberation I told the vendor to let her buy it as I was going to have to pass. I spent 2 plus years thinking and feeling sad about "the one that got away" and regretting the decision. All that time I was searching high and low I was unable to match its beauty with any other OEC. Fast forward to 2 years later and long story short it came back to me. Meant to be.

Not how I wear her but a fun photo anyway.

bubbalahand5bands.jpg.png

WOW! - Fantastic. I'd love to hear the details and make the short story long - ha!

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Two come to mind - I tried on a beautiful mid cornflower blue sapphire ring, I went back to buy it the next day and it was sold, and a thick 1.20cm (wide) Antique diamond band that had mixed size Antique diamonds in no particular pattern just encrusted all the way around it was a sparkle monster and one of the most beautifully made pieces white gold outside diamonds covering the whole thing and rose gold inside (the diamonds were all closed backed).

Again I went back for it and it was sold. I still consider the diamond band particularly, the one that got away. I've never seen anything like it since - it was obviously custom made.

I can't believe that happened twice to you - makes me sad.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I realized over time with diamonds, there is always another 'unicorn'. I remember seriously regretting not pulling the trigger in time on a 2.8+ I VS2 ACA. For a long time, that was the one that "got away". Two years later, I found current stone, which I call my 'super unicorn'. But having lost out on the 2.8 I VS2 did make me pull the trigger MUCH faster on my current stone. :lol::lol::lol:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't believe that happened twice to you - makes me sad.

It's probably happened to me way more than twice, I'm the type of person that really likes to consider and think about everything I buy first so it has happened a number of times but those are the two pieces I still think about particularly that band. I've had some killer Antique pendants and some killer gemstones get sold a loose red Mahenge spinel that would make most people go ooooooh it was a top colour was very nice and a few others that got away too.

But on the flip side of that almost everything I do end up buying is a fairly high quality because I do take the time to really think about what I'm buying.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results