shape
carat
color
clarity

The making of: Birdie

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have two sapphires rings in the works. I thought the best way to document their journeys was to create a “making of” thread, and then one big SMTB thread when they are all done.

The first think I purchased for this ring was an antique watch with the most gorgeous movals. I did not know what size the movals were – AT ALL – as there wasn’t any perspective in the eBay photos. However, when received. They were a very nice size. The watch didn’t even work but whatever, I wore the heck out of it, just for the movals.
6E737868-2CFD-47F1-B2FB-1E6D6520476F.jpeg F98AA732-8B70-43AF-99B6-6C91CC14FD2E.jpeg
When I took it to the jewelers to have the stones popped out – the jeweler didn’t even think they were real diamonds, too white and clean! Luckily, and of course I knew this, they were.

Popped out and weighed turned out together they were .97 tcw. Now, what to do with them?!

I considered studs, bracelet, interesting moi et toi…. I even considered using Hazel, the beautiful fancy LYB diamond @MakingTheGrade now owns and making a three stone with that. However, the old and new diamond cuts didn’t go exactly as I would have wanted.

I had first gotten the most beautiful ruby to go with. 1 ct, and the best red I have ever seen. On my hand it looked great, but I know I am a size whore, and size whores got to size whore.
7D7EAD17-920B-420F-BA64-130E2CB406E0.jpeg
I purchased this 3.6 ct 14*6.77 blue sapphire marquise from @arkieb1. The size, amazing, the color? Just what I love. It had a bit of a window but as far as sapphires, this unicorn is a little hard to come by so I didn’t mind.
CC6C0FA4-65C6-41E0-AECB-C25ED694BC09.jpeg
When I got it I knew I had made the right choice over the ruby. The size was everything. However, I got greedy and wanted the stone shapes to match EXACTLY.

I had reached out to a number of cutters for Daisy -one of which was Daniel Stair. He had an issue with his emails and never responded. But what was funny, the day I decided to get my sapphire cut from a marquise to a moval he emailed me apologizing for missing my email about Daisy! Taking this sign, I sent my sapphire to him. He had never heard of the term “moval” before and he was very excited to try the shape out. He said he had a bunch of marquise that needed recuts, and he would explore this shape for those (so if you like Birdie, id reach out!) I lost a whole ct in the cutting process (eek!) but the face up size only went from 14*6.77 to 12.5*6.77. This I was very happy with, and he even cut in an open culet! D3625373-E455-47DD-B6AB-7B74D59A8526.jpeg I actually don’t have a better photo as I had him send it right to DK. The cads have been difficult to get it exactly as I like. Were almost exactly there, and they look like this. It will be an alternative e- ring and will be in platinum.
F446F6E2-09FF-4036-97C1-ADB001FBA85E.jpeg 3D8EF53F-02D8-4FAA-BD9F-5CFFFE841525.jpeg
The shank is a split shank so there will be a line down the middle of the shank like the example
1BE9181D-245A-48B6-81C5-0E30BEDF23C8.jpeg

Of course I will keep you posted with any updates.

Also, her name is Birdie because this I wanted to name her Robin because it has some significance to this ring and it looks like bird eggs but oohhhh I hate the name Robin lol

Last edited:

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooh this is exciting!

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am looking forward to seeing the finished piece! I have never seen a three stone moval ring before. This is going to be gorgeous!

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
I am SOOO excited to see how this turns out! All the stones are just AMAAZING!!! Envious already!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring.
'Hate' is such a strong word tho!
I mean it's not like the word 'moist' or 'panties'
:lol:
I knew typing that I would offend anyone named Robin. Or Robin name lovers. But I stand by my statement. :lol:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dan did a great recut and I can’t wait to see the finished ring!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had first gotten the most beautiful ruby to go with. 1 ct, and the best red I have ever seen. On my hand it looked great, but I know I am a size whore, and size whores got to size whore.

I am dying! :lol-2:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! That’s going to be one spectacular ring! Love the color of the center and those movals! Gorgeous! :love:

ETA You have such jewelry design vision!

Last edited:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The mock ups :read: to show how the sapphire would look with Niel's diamond movals. Yes cutting paper that size perfectly was beyond my skillset :lol:. The recut looks amazing, I can't wait to see the finished ring!!!!
MQ sapphire 1.JPG MQ sapphire 2.JPG

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The mock ups :read: to show how the sapphire would look with Niel's diamond movals. Yes cutting paper that size perfectly was beyond my skillset :lol:. The recut looks amazing, I can't wait to see the finished ring!!!!
MQ sapphire 1.JPG MQ sapphire 2.JPG
Thank you your pictures show her blues that I did not capture the short (two days??) that I had her in my hot little hands

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just can't wait to see the finished ring!!! :whistle:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock

Ooh! The ring on the left! The setting has the most beautiful crown. Did you have it made?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ooh! The ring on the left! The setting has the most beautiful crown. Did you have it made?
Gosh no. Sadly that’s for sale at victor barebone. (My ebony for buying a marquise I wanted off eBay and trying to flip it for 4x what they paid)

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m so impressed at your creativity!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no, another ring I'm going to be jealous of! :lol: That's ok, don't worry about me, I can handle it.:kiss2: I always love your creations @Niel! Really looking forward to seeing both of your finished rings.

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
Ahhhh! Can't wait to see this. So so cool. And that blue is just stunning. Open culets, blue, movals, three stones, creative repurposing....so many great things. Also the kind of involved project that can keep you busy for quite some time. Never a bad thing!

Can't wait to see it all together! I'm sure that recut gave some incredible new life!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahhhh! Can't wait to see this. So so cool. And that blue is just stunning. Open culets, blue, movals, three stones, creative repurposing....so many great things. Also the kind of involved project that can keep you busy for quite some time. Never a bad thing!

Can't wait to see it all together! I'm sure that recut gave some incredible new life!
You’d think this would keep me busy but sadly nothing ever seems to keep my mind focused anymore. Not even two projects of once

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How exciting! Following! :appl:

Shijitake

Shiny_Rock
Those diamonds, ruby and sapphire are sooo pretty! Doesn't matter that the sapphire has a window, that color is so perfect. Please more pics of the ruby!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those diamonds, ruby and sapphire are sooo pretty! Doesn't matter that the sapphire has a window, that color is so perfect. Please more pics of the ruby!
The ruby was returned and the window ha disappeared after the recut. So I’m told anyways, I haven’t actually seen it!

Reactions: AV_

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
Niel, where did you find the ruby?

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Glad to see such a beautiful cut by Dan Stair - not much of his work around & his own www pages are too humble by allot.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am totally love with your suite of moval stones and can't wait to see the final product!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results