shape
carat
color
clarity

The Journey Continues...Her Wedding Band CAD's

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The bulk of you know about my journey thus far. For those unfamiliar, here you go:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/dk-bgd-custom-setting-the-home-stretch.240843/

The short version is I bought a BGD stone, had DK create a custom e-ring, proposed (twice actually, first with a ribbon and second time with the bling), she said yes both times and we are planning a wedding.

I have two major goals left, besides being her support and voice of reason through all the wedding planning chaos:
  1. Plan a kick ass honeymoon.
  2. Finish designing her wedding bands.
She gets no input on the honeymoon but I am going to let her participate in the design of her bands.

That said, let's go!

Current E-ring:
DKJPV_0629_WR-1.jpg

Option A (single wedding band):
44836-quad-A.jpg

Option B (dual band option):
44836-quad-B.jpg

Starting point:
  • She prefers the dual band option.
  • She believes keeping the bands plain will help support and not overpower the e-ring.
  • She wants the bands to be complimentary and look like they belong together (unlike a solitaire with diamond band, she feels that was just "added" and not integral).
  • The above in mind, the bands are hugging the original shape lines.
  • There is a gap by one of the "halo swirls" I'd like to sit more flush.
  • I'm not sure the thickness is right.
  • I almost feel it's too plain but not quite sure how to tastefully jazz it up.
While this project looks very tame compared to the e-ring, I'd love to hear your thoughts and suggestions. :cool2:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The bulk of you know about my journey thus far. For those unfamiliar, here you go:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/dk-bgd-custom-setting-the-home-stretch.240843/

The short version is I bought a BGD stone, had DK create a custom e-ring, proposed (twice actually, first with a ribbon and second time with the bling), she said yes both times and we are planning a wedding.

I have two major goals left, besides being her support and voice of reason through all the wedding planning chaos:
  1. Plan a kick ass honeymoon.
  2. Finish designing her wedding bands.
She gets no input on the honeymoon but I am going to let her participate in the design of her bands.

That said, let's go!

Current E-ring:
DKJPV_0629_WR-1.jpg

Option A (single wedding band):
44836-quad-A.jpg

Option B (dual band option):
44836-quad-B.jpg

Starting point:
  • She prefers the dual band option.
  • She believes keeping the bands plain will help support and not overpower the e-ring.
  • She wants the bands to be complimentary and look like they belong together (unlike a solitaire with diamond band, she feels that was just "added" and not integral).
  • The above in mind, the bands are hugging the original shape lines.
  • There is a gap by one of the "halo swirls" I'd like to sit more flush.
  • I'm not sure the thickness is right.
  • I almost feel it's too plain but not quite sure how to tastefully jazz it up.
While this project looks very tame compared to the e-ring, I'd love to hear your thoughts and suggestions. :cool2:

@rockysalamander

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the double better than the single. I think the width is perfect. The only thing I would want changed (if it was my set), is to eliminate the gaps between the two bands and the sides of the e-ring where the swirls meet the shanks. I'm pretty sure I've seen that done in similar sets by shaping the bands into points. Whether or not this is advisable or feasible for your particular design, I don't know. I just think it would look nicer. I also don't know if it's better to have the two bands attached as a ring guard/enhancer/jacket (or if it's even possible if there were points on the band) or keep it as two separate bands. I was thinking it might be more convenient as a single unit.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She'll probably have to get the bands soldered to the e-ring, because bands don't stay perfectly in place and I'd go nuts with curved bands moving out of place. It's not an issue with straight bands. It's also going to be a very wide set. I am assuming she has really long fingers? I think the e-ring looks best as a standalone engagement/wedding ring, personally.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
80B84083-47AA-4C6A-8E3D-F88C45693D69.jpeg I agree with DS that 2 seperate bands could drive her nuts as they won’t stay in place. Personally I would opt for the plain ‘duo-band’ as shown in one of your earlier cad’s, as it can be worn on its own and it’s not too matchy

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BC2CC3CD-E586-44F6-A2FB-A5A22BE38666.jpeg
I guess your fiancee has some finger real estate left as her fingers are long? But it will be good to mimick the total width with small ropes or something similar, to ensure that it looks nice on her finger. The ring is also gorgeous as a standalone ring. What about a duo-band with pave for her right hand?

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree with @Acinom i think that band is so well done, it looks like part of the ring, i just love the flow of it. my second choice would be the two bands, i think it is very balanced and so lovely though i totally agree with you on the changes to the CAD. Especially the gaps in the swirls. I don't know that you should go much wider on the bands though, that is really adding width as a whole.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @sledge!

Exciting to see you start on this project too! :)

The one band or two question - in that style, I think it looks nice with the two bands to give it some balance, however I agree it raises some dilemmas that you and your fiancée need to ponder.

It will provide a lot of finger coverage, and will this be comfortable for her to wear?

Although having the curved section will help to 'lock it' into place, both bands are still likely to potentially 'come away from' and not be perfectly aligned with the engagement ring at times. Not sure how much of an issue it will be but something to think about.

I personally dislike the idea of soldering the bands to the engagement ring. I wonder if there are other solutions? I'm sure some people have interesting added strut things that can be placed at the underside of the ring to hold two rings together if that's really an issue, although I'm not sure that's really a good solution.

There are some dual bands that I have seen, where the dual bands themselves are fixed to each other with some sort of metal strut so that they are permanently set a certain distance apart from each other. You have to take the engagement ring off, slot it into the gap and then put the combined ring on. I can't really remember how they worked because I imagine it would be difficult to get the 'struts' right without it being bulky or unsightly, and I suspect overall it just complicates matters for you further. However I remember liking the set I tried on where it was like this - just can't remember how they did it in a seamless way.

Will she want to be able to wear the band or bands by themselves if the occasion calls for it? I suspect if she just wanted to wear the band she would have to wear only one (unless they were joined together as above, and that might look odd).

Coming onto the pointy bit, I agree it would be nice if the band or bands were pointed so that they perfectly fit into the swirl of the ring with no gap.

The fact the band is plain. Hmm. I agree that it helps not distract from the amazing engagement ring, however I'm also aware that this is going to be her wedding band. I wonder if it has the potential to get 'lost' if it's just a thin metal band (or bands) slotted against that very eye-catching ring. Pavé would be really interesting to see but also might get lost - although if you did pavé it might be nicer to just do one band.

Oooh, ooh, I have an idea! What about - you know how you have that pavé swirl but underneath is the channel set band? What about replicating that band in that exact shape with the channel set diamonds. Then it would sit against the setting but with the skin gap to one side that's already a feature of your engagement ring? That would be really nice as just a single band and that curved channel set band has the potential to be quite nice as just a plain band worn by itself.

My other thoughts were getting some sort of fine patterned engraving (might be a bit much), or doing the plain band but perhaps adding a hidden stone or two with your and her birthstones??

Good luck!!! :D

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Before I added to much width to the set with the bands I think I'd figure out the overall width with bands added and perhaps buy some inexpensive bands for her to stack on her finger. If her fingers swell at all in warmer weather a set that is super wide may become uncomfortable. I have fairly long fingers and can stack a lot of rings but when my fingers swell it can become uncomfortable. That all being said, I like the band in the CAD that @Acinom posted.

I like the double better than the single. I think the width is perfect. The only thing I would want changed (if it was my set), is to eliminate the gaps between the two bands and the sides of the e-ring where the swirls meet the shanks. I'm pretty sure I've seen that done in similar sets by shaping the bands into points. Whether or not this is advisable or feasible for your particular design, I don't know. I just think it would look nicer. I also don't know if it's better to have the two bands attached as a ring guard/enhancer/jacket (or if it's even possible if there were points on the band) or keep it as two separate bands. I was thinking it might be more convenient as a single unit.
I was thinking the same. Something like this?
swirl-engagement-ring-and-matching-wedding-band-i-might-need-one-of-these-made-up-600-x-600.jpg

My preference would be for the wedding band to be on one side only. My e-ring is swirly too. When we were first shopping for wedding bands, I though about getting one on both sides. But then it looked too much like just one large ring as opposed to a wedding set. I like Acinom's suggestion with reconsidering the duo-band. It gives a nice balance to the overall look yet it can stand alone.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooh, yes! This is the best option! It looks like a wedding set vs a large cocktail ring (which is what the bands on both side reminds me of). Plus the way it’s been designed has a classy but edgy feel to it too... something in how the swirls combine together.

I’d have them soldered together after the wedding; when she needs/wants just a wedding band she can wear a cheapie that can be picked up anywhere or maybe get her a nicer one for an anniversary present that can double as a RHR =)2

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
80B84083-47AA-4C6A-8E3D-F88C45693D69.jpeg I agree with DS that 2 seperate bands could drive her nuts as they won’t stay in place. Personally I would opt for the plain ‘duo-band’ as shown in one of your earlier cad’s, as it can be worn on its own and it’s not too matchy
I'm usually big on symmetry but I VERY much prefer this option in your case. I think the band on top covers the beautiful curve of the ering and the double bands just don't compliment the beauty of the ering. This version looks like a wedding set without interfering with the ering's design or making it look like a single wing with very thick band.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm with you on this one @Acinom I like the single physical band with a duo look. I think this look much better. I still would like to see some tweaks on that band. Will spend a bit of time this weekend.

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I agree that this is my favorite option too.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Soldering might prevent spinning but will also prevent stacking options. I like the idea of a "jacket" that the ering slips into? But then you'd have band on two sides (not sure which way you're leaning on that). Of course, since you're having it made, it could be made with solid metal on the top (fingertip) side and diamonds on the bottom (knuckle) side.

Or get a (substantial-ish) BGD five- or seven-stone to wear on her right hand, or on her left hand when she doesn't want to wear the ering.

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just a thought to have her try on a 2.5 mm band to see if she even likes wearing a total of 5 mm ring on her finger. I think it would look stunning, but check to be sure...

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry I've been quiet today. I've been moving. Started at 10am and still going strong. This sucks and I need a shower and some rest before I can think clearly.

Traveling out of town tomorrow for a wedding. Might have some time on Sunday to really get into details.

Please keep the input coming, it is appreciated. :cool2:

Ilovecarbon

Rough_Rock
I can't help you with the wedding band issue, but I do have some advice for your honeymoon. If you don't already have an idea of where you'd like to go, then think about the things that y'all enjoy doing together. This statement comes with a GIANT but and a cautionary tale. My first husband planned the honeymoon and it was amazing- he took me to Calgary and Banff where we stayed at a beautiful cabin on Moraine Lake, and then another place just on the other side of the continental divide. He tried to incorporate popping into a couple of the smaller towns, as well as a trip to the hot springs (because he knew that's what I wanted to do). Then we got to Calgary where stayed the last couple of days, where he planned absolutely nothing. There is a fine line between scheduling enough and too much. He scheduled too much in the Banff area (I'm not even kidding you, he went hiking EVERY day, ) because that was what he enjoyed. He went hiking more than I did. Our honeymoon was actually a hiking trip for DH, and a lot of alone time for me because I couldn't keep up with him nor do I love hiking as much as he did (I'm more of a lets go on A hike and then go back to the cabin, he got up before dawn most days and came back at lunch time). When we got to Calgary, I was already frustrated and his lack of any sort of idea of what to do was even more frustrating. He never even looked up what there really was to do, and then complained that we didn't know what to do. Needless to say, this marriage didn't last, mostly because he couldn't pull his head out of his butt long enough to realize that my needs were not being met in the relationship.

It's y'all's honeymoon, go where you both can have a good time, make a general itinerary but prepare to be flexible, and for goodness sake you don't have to be attached at the hip, but if you are spending more time apart than together you messed up. And this last piece should not have to be said but - it's ok to spend at least one whole morning or afternoon or day in BED. This will be the first vacation that you take as husband and wife, and it's for both of you. From the day you get married you are now moving as one body through life but you still have 2 heads so just be mindful.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A thought to jazz up the plain duo band:
- a single surprise stone in the profile side of the ring
- completely fill one side of the profile with diamonds (the side that is not worn against the e-ring), so it will be plain at the top and blingy seen from the profile
- Engrave a personal text message within the ring or on the profile

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps engrave the wedding band with some flowery / nature-inspired patterns?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This was the design that she loved with her e-ring. It fit flush, but was a little apart for this photo. I think we told @sledge to just worry about the ering as the CAD for this was off and he needed to nail down the ering first.

The wedding band seems to have the same size melee as the pave shank and tucked under the elevated part of the pave shank.

195da48d-1c29-4ddb-96b4-c0452a185723-jpeg.626312

f473ffcb-1b48-483e-a901-0420a8cc0370-jpeg.626315

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Comparing the CAD above with this, there would need to be some changes.

1) The Jareds band is an E/W symmetrical wave, not a notch.
upload_2018-7-21_18-32-10.png

So, if you cut the left side of the WB at the center prong and mirror it, you get the orange colored area. So, you've now make the symmetrical. The wave gets the pave added just like the halo. The melee stones will tile outward away from the ering at 20 degrees IF she will always wear together. If she wants to be able to were the WB alone, then you might want them level to the ground. I would just get a plain band for wear alone days, but she should vote for what she likes. BUT, I'm not sure this perfect symmetry will work with the ring as designed. If you look at the right side, there is a curve mismatch. That could be my bad cut and paste, but re-reading the thread, the curved shanks are at different angles (remember the whole not a plus sign, make the shanks meet as an squatty X???). But, check with Amy/DK.

upload_2018-7-21_18-39-40.png
2) The wedding band she loves also looks to be more symmetrical N/S. The photos is a bit tilted, but if you draw a straight line where the two shanks (plain and pave) are parallel, they look to be mirrored. The DK version has a inward arc.

upload_2018-7-21_18-43-57.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-21_18-39-24.png
    upload_2018-7-21_18-39-24.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with a lot of the others...your first design with the single band on one side is my favorite.

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Another vote for single band on one side, similar to early design.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results