shape
carat
color
clarity

Swapping a 5.05mm sapphire for 5.2mm Diamond

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a big birthday coming up in February (hello 40!) and I'm considering swapping the pink sapphire in this ring for a diamond, since the sapphire is not original to the setting.

The sapphire measures 5.05mm x 3.55mm and the diamond is 5.2mm GIA graded D VS2. Is there any chance the diamond might fit? I'm not sure how much variance this setting can accommodate and I could bring it to my jeweler but wanted to see if I'm even in the ballpark first.

Thanks!

IMG_2476.JPG IMG_2477.JPG IMG_2478.JPG

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm no help Stephanie but that setting is so pretty a diamond would be beautiful in it! Happy upcoming Birthday!!!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, based on the photos (particularly the face-up photo) as well as my own past experience, the pink sapphire appears to easily fit within that setting and it even seems on the small side for the setting, like the sapphire manages to be just wide enough for the prongs to grab... meaning I think there is room in the setting to accommodate a slightly larger stone (i.e., going from 5mm to 5.2mm).

I think a diamond in that setting will be lovely, BTW!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @tyty333 and @marymm I appreciate your thoughts so much, it would be so great to bring this back to its original state since it is an old platinum Art Deco setting.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'd really want to show it to the setter to be sure Stephanie......
Diamond setting is a very specialized skill- sometimes things look easy and aren't- other times, it might look difficult, yet it's easily accomplished......

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd really want to show it to the setter to be sure Stephanie......
Diamond setting is a very specialized skill- sometimes things look easy and aren't- other times, it might look difficult, yet it's easily accomplished......

Thank you so much, asking here was just the jump off but if I go ahead the diamond has a return policy so if it wasn't going to work, I could return it.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your upcoming birthday. That setting looks stunning with the sapphire in it currently. Can only imagine that a diamond in it will also be stunning to look at!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much @bmfang! I'm still waffling to be honest because I do like the pink sapphire and it is natural but curious how a diamond would look. Still have a couple of months to figur it out anyways :D

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@StephanieLynn, is this a diamond from one of the illusion rings, or did you acquire a loose stone? You've been busy bee lately, I can't keep up!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@StephanieLynn, is this a diamond from one of the illusion rings, or did you acquire a loose stone? You've been busy bee lately, I can't keep up!

Neither! I am just thinking, I have seen a loose diamond that would work but I haven't bought it.

Wouldn't even be looking but last night DH asked me what I wanted for my birthday and honestly hadn't even thought of it so now I'm thinking about it! I have a few possible ideas :twisted2:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your setting and sapphire is so pretty! I love it in your setting!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your setting and sapphire is so pretty! I love it in your setting!

Thank you so much, for now I decided to leave it as is mainly because we got hit with big car repairs so there went the bling budget :confused2:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
QUOTE="StephanieLynn, post: 4472455, member: 87749"]Thank you so much, for now I decided to leave it as is mainly because we got hit with big car repairs so there went the bling budget :confused2:[/QUOTE]
Oh no...but I do love it with the pink sapphire! :love:

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
UGH car repairs are the worst. I like the pink sapphire, but diamonds aint wrong either :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results