shape
carat
color
clarity

Stuller Illusion Rings

tiarepikake

Rough_Rock
Hi there everyone!

I am hoping to see photos of your rings set with Stullerillusion mountings. I did find a few photos here, but most of them are older at this point, and I’m wondering if anyone has any additional photos to share.

Thank you very much in advance! (I initially posted this in Show Me the Bling, but it seems like a better fit for this forum...my apologies for the double-post.)

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dear Tiarepikake,

You can see some of the heads at Stuller.com. When you get there, just do a search for illusion head.

The problem with Illusion heads is that they look okay when they are brand new and then get rather "poopy" looking quickly.

The definitely do not have that edge to edge brilliance that a well cut diamond will have, as you get a little sparkle from the center and then a big edge of shiny metal. (NO FIRE FROM THAT SHINY METAL EITHER!) The shine dissipates quickly and then you have an even worse looking item.

You may have a hard time finding a good jeweler to do one for you as most do not want that out there with their name on them.

I apologize if I sound too negative about them, but I have never talked with anyone who had one for more than a few months who did not regret the purchase.

Wink

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh, come on Wink. The point of illusion heads is to fit a budget. Most of them are to fit a 0.25ct or less sort of range and most buyers are looking for a price point even at that. I1s and I2s. There's nothing wrong with having a budget. Edge to edge brilliance and comparing to a super-ideal cutting job isn't the goal. Do such stones look better in illusion heads? I think they do.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh, come on Wink. The point of illusion heads is to fit a budget. Most of them are to fit a 0.25ct or less sort of range and most buyers are looking for a price point even at that. I1s and I2s. There's nothing wrong with having a budget. Edge to edge brilliance and comparing to a super-ideal cutting job isn't the goal. Do such stones look better in illusion heads? I think they do.

Yes, they do, for a few weeks. After that, not so much.

It is rare when I disagree with you my friend. This is one of those times.

Wink

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi there everyone!

I am hoping to see photos of your rings set with Stullerillusion mountings. I did find a few photos here, but most of them are older at this point, and I’m wondering if anyone has any additional photos to share.

Thank you very much in advance! (I initially posted this in Show Me the Bling, but it seems like a better fit for this forum...my apologies for the double-post.)

Let”s do it this way: why are you looking for a Stuller illusion setting? What draws you to it?

tiarepikake

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies so far.

I have a smaller, imperfect vintage diamond with a small girdle imperfection that is still quite important to me in terms of sentimental value. I also prefer a vintage look and have a soft spot for 1940s illusion rings in general. My stone is currently set in a mounting with fishtail prongs. The added protection of a ring of metal around the stone (and, yes, a slightly larger presence) poses some appeal to me. I have also considered a milgrained bezel setting as an alternative for those reasons.

Again, I appreciate the info and the perspective. Concerns about brilliance make sense. I’ve seen the stock images in the Stuller catalog, but wanted to ask whether anyone may have personal photos to share. I’m guessing this is unlikely due to the possible unpopularity of the setting, but figured it was worth a shot.

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Invisible setting applies to different settings/heads. It would be helpful if you gave us the stuller link you were looking at so that those that have
something similar can post.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the replies so far.

I have a smaller, imperfect vintage diamond with a small girdle imperfection that is still quite important to me in terms of sentimental value. I also prefer a vintage look and have a soft spot for 1940s illusion rings in general. My stone is currently set in a mounting with fishtail prongs. The added protection of a ring of metal around the stone (and, yes, a slightly larger presence) poses some appeal to me. I have also considered a milgrained bezel setting as an alternative for those reasons.

Again, I appreciate the info and the perspective. Concerns about brilliance make sense. I’ve seen the stock images in the Stuller catalog, but wanted to ask whether anyone may have personal photos to share. I’m guessing this is unlikely due to the possible unpopularity of the setting, but figured it was worth a shot.

I find it is very hard to find real world images of any Stuller setting— I was looking for this one yesterday
29960DF0-5194-445B-B8B3-5101637EC1AD.jpeg

And can’t find any real world pics.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@whitewave is right- it's hard to find real photos of Stuller settings.

I understand what you want and why. I personally think that vintage stones look nice in those settings and maybe I'm in the minority. It's a different cup of tea than a modern round super ideal and that's okay. Stuller produces a product that is generally reliable and you know what you are getting. The more basic settings are usually pretty economical too.

A bezel is a nice option as well and would also protect your stone that is sentimental.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
03BC5D56-B9BC-4DCA-AA7A-36FF21DAC18F.jpeg Or like a prong/bead set within a bezel?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ring0865, that is a really nice option, prong set within a bezel. It gives more presence and protection to stone without looking like you are bra-stuffing so to speak.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You might have seen mine. The one with yellow gold shank is the .75ct size and the white gold one is the 1ct size. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/antique-illusion-wedding-sets.52817/
No, they don't look exactly like a diamond. But given the choice between wearing that .75ct diamond in a 6 prong vs. the illusion, I chose the illusion head ring because it just gave the ring a bigger presence. The 1ct size is 8mm across, which is the diameter of a 2ct diamond. If your diamond is at least a very good cut, I don't think it will detract from the brilliance or fire or color of the diamond. It's essentially the same thing as a metal halo or bezel around a diamond. Metal is metal. Fishtail is a similar idea, with the big triple prong corners adding bulk to the ring. The stone I had in that .75ct size mounting was not better than an average cut. I had one of the lovely colorless czs that Wink used to sell mounted in it later and the ring is stunning. So, I'd not rule out getting an illusion head ring if that's what you want. There may be some upkeep, polishing and rhodium plating required, but unless you're extremely hard on rings, once or twice a year should take care of that. I have beaten the tar of of this white gold ring, wearing it as a work ring when I worked in q.c. for a foundry that makes very large heavy section cast iron things. :lol-2: It's overdue for a new sim stone and a good polishing. These rings are actually prettier in real life. The photos were taken 10 or more years ago using a 2mp Fugi camera. The shank is Stuller, for a 6 prong head. The jewelers ground it flat to butt up against the illusion head's flat sides.

Wink2.jpg

Last edited:

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
By the way, those 2 illusion rings could not be more comfortable to wear as daily rings. The broader base of those heads is very stable on the hand. The ring doesn't turn, and it certainly doesn't have anything to gouge your hand with. The metal rim protects the girdle of the stone. The heavy prongs are virtually indestructible. I started out with one of the typical 6 prong Tiffany knockoffs, but the heads on those have little points at the noon and 6 o'clock positions that were constantly scraping and scratching my skin. You can choose other styles of 6 prong that don't have that issue, but that and actually seeing an illusion on someone's hand at a store were what made me track down a similar setting. In other words, I saw about a 1ct diamond ring on some sales clerk's hand, and I thought it looked awesome. 26 years later, I still have not changed my mind. But I don't have the herd mentality, either. I wear what I like and I don't worry what other people like or don't like. Buyers today have very many options from which to choose. There's no need to look like everyone else.

tiarepikake

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone!

I wanted to stop by with an update to this thread for anyone who may be searching for vintage illusion setting info in the future. We ended up selecting a true vintage, deadstock illusion mount for my sentimental diamond. My (admittedly small and imperfect, but much-beloved) stone has been set for quite some time now, and I’ve been wearing it daily. I am extremely pleased with it! The stone feels very secure in its protective setting. It’s low and practical for comfort and daily living. Best of all, normal ring cleanings keep everything sparkling and bright.

While illusion settings are certainly not for everyone, my husband and I are very happy with the one we found. I am thrilled with our choice and have no regrets.

Thanks again to all for the advice!

23538604-6A29-4DC1-9B2E-9677EC58E79B.jpeg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello everyone!

I wanted to stop by with an update to this thread for anyone who may be searching for vintage illusion setting info in the future. We ended up selecting a true vintage, deadstock illusion mount for my sentimental diamond. My (admittedly small and imperfect, but much-beloved) stone has been set for quite some time now, and I’ve been wearing it daily. I am extremely pleased with it! The stone feels very secure in its protective setting. It’s low and practical for comfort and daily living. Best of all, normal ring cleanings keep everything sparkling and bright.

While illusion settings are certainly not for everyone, my husband and I are very happy with the one we found. I am thrilled with our choice and have no regrets.

Looks beautiful, I have a soft spot for these settings and I think your diamond looks perfect in this setting.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
Hello everyone!

Your ring is beautiful! Thanks for coming back to update the thread! I often search old threads for info and follow up like this is so helpful!

tiarepikake

Rough_Rock
Thank you two so much! I’m glad you like the way it turned out.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
It's beautiful!! I had to look at the picture for a while to try to figure out what was diamond and what was metal. I think it looks great, and I am so happy that you are enjoying it!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring!!!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks beautiful. I really love illusion settings! They’re reminiscent of times long gone but fondly remembered. Enjoy!!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah I love these illusion settings - the corners look so curved and pretty and I love the swoops of metal along the side. Your stone looks gorgeous in this setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results