shape
carat
color
clarity

Starting the Quest for a White Sapphire Engagement Ring

M@!

Rough_Rock
As the title states, I am starting a quest for a White Sapphire Engagement Ring. Well white for now, I have to find out if she'd be interested in any other colors. Looking for a twist shank with a halo. I'm going to start digging through the preferred vendors, but if there are specifics vendors that you could point me too that would be great. $1k ish range, is that enough? She wants sparkly, but doesn't need a high dollar ring.

I was thinking something like this, but I don't see this vendor on the preferred list. http://etsy.me/2mMBnLO

Thanks in advance!
Matt

shinyrocks

Shiny_Rock
Premium
That looks like a very pretty ring. I have no experience with the particular Etsy seller, so hopefully others will chime in. White sapphires aren't super-expensive, so I would think $1K for a nice stone should be a good budget to work with. The particular one in this ring, if truly natural, appears to be very clean and very well-cut.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She’s asked for a white sapphire? I just want to make sure she isn’t expecting a diamond.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree - first be absolutely sure she isn't expecting a diamond as a white sapphire will never look the same - different performance! :naughty:

If she is 100% happy with a clear gemstone and is gentle on her rings, you could also look at these stones for white/colourless options for a $1K budget:
  • spinel
  • chyroberyl
  • phenakite
  • goshenite
  • danburite

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, sapphire & diamond are very different animals ... The letter does almostª any colour MUCH better than the first, which does sparkle instead.

Credibly colourless sapphire is not too common - most have allot more of a tint than diamonds beyong the GIA colourless range D-F does. On the other hand, an almost colourless sappire with a dash of blue or pink is a very lovely object & similar shades in diamond would not be trivial at all (a 'Light' grade of colour below 'Fancy' in GIA terms). ... Just a thought ...

2c

__
ª hedging for yellow here

S

SparkliesLuver

Congrats on your new journey! :) A few questions:

-Budget. Is $1k for the stone or completed ring?
-Size. Any idea on size? And think mm, not cts.
-Shape. Any thoughts here?
-Material. Are you 100% on sapphire or would you possibly be open to another hard stone such as spinel?
-Treatment. Open to heated sapphires?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a twist shank with a halo, but a very classic solitaire beautifully made & likely nicely priced - www

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is $1000 Your budget for both ring and stone? Or just for the stone? If she likes sapphire, I would ask her how she feels about a colored sapphire. I will be totally honest and say that while I love sapphires I don't care for white sapphires.

M@!

Rough_Rock
Alright thanks for the quick responses. She is 100% good without a diamond and it doesn't have to be Sapphire, Spinel is an option and would probably be ok with heat. We do live an active lifestyle so I definitely need a stone that can hold up.

Budget - Is Flexible, I can def affort $1k on the stone
Size - 6mm - 6.5mm
Shape - Thinking Round
Color - She wants something more white/clear but I think she'd be ok with a tint of color, think its time to get her to check out some different options in person.

S

SparkliesLuver

I'd check out Africa Gems, especially now while they're running a 25% off sale. Once you click on an individual stone, click the buttons by the picture because most have a video. Lots of good options for you there, I think!

https://www.africagems.com/round-white-sapphires.html

I'd probably have someone like David Klass make the ring for you. You just have to provide direction but he works well with budgets.

P.S. Since you do lead an active lifestyle, you might want to consider a bezel. But if she's stuck on a halo, then get the girl a halo. haha :)

M@!

Rough_Rock
I didn't think about the durability of the Halo, might have to find a local place for the setting to replace the diamonds that are going to fall out. :mrgreen2:

That is a good sale at Africa Gems, thanks! I'm going to take her window shopping this weekend to make sure she is satisfied with the white sapphire. She was even thinking some kind of pearl as the center stone, but that doesn't seem nearly shiny enough too me. Also looking at Rose Gold settings, they seem to add a lot more dimension to the white sapphire.

S

SparkliesLuver

haha Yep, just something to consider. Or she could take off her engagement ring when you're super active and only wear a wedding band. Just a thought.

Sure thing. Also, if you're wanting some sort of dimension, you could do a colored stone halo around the white sapphire. :) I wouldn't recommend a pearl ring for everyday wear, but that's just me. Maybe you could do something like that as a wedding gift, if she really wants one?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An address for white sapphire www . (from the same: a blue-tinged white - somewhat less precise cut & already in a ring)

Another address: www

&

Anything from JD www would be exceptional in some way ...

It may be difficult to find a finely cut one to see, unless you order one. Like diamonds, the obvious beauty of colourless sapphires is mostly in their cut ... (not talking for myself).

____
Ddigressing: these - www & www - are also white star sapphire ... perhaps worth knowing that such things exist, although the stuff is simply too unusual to be available on a deadline, even a small-ish ones like that.

Last edited:

M@!

Rough_Rock

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
FYI, how did that peach color perform with her skin tone? While she may like the color, there are skin tones that do not work with peach stones. If she's tried them on her skin in different lighting.......and likes it then fine.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vote for the cushion - since I do not particularly care for modern cut in these, not a popular opinion, for sure ...

More clicks: WWW - since for much of the world a 'peach' sapphire is one that just failed to be a 'Pad', they may well be in stock, but not on show; I would ask for one here.

An almost white peach - WWW

A warm orange-pink is a trademark shade for a cousin of sapphire - WWW , WWW & there is sapphire around there too ... I rather like this WWW for the subtle colour, despite the 'window' which seems tolerable in the 'between-the-fingers' shot which mimics the look of gems when set ...

There is always more to see !

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results