shape
carat
color
clarity

Star Sapphire 15.5 ct

PerSweden

Rough_Rock
Hi,

New to this forum. Got colored gemstones that my late father bought mainly on several trips to Sri Lanka between 1972 and 1978.
Including Star Sapphires of which I intend to sell a few. The biggest of them is this 15.5 carat stone.

My father was extremely picky as to quality price of everything. And good at it. I am glad realize that colored stones had quite a ride since mid 70s...
No certs, but several original receipts:) I am in Sweden and considering to get them certified. Where is the best and most economical place to certify dozens of stones?

Whats a fair price, any idea? quite a range between Natural Sapphires Company and Ebay :))

All the best
John
Just took these photos in natural light, almost no sun though. Star is really sharp in reality 20191015_170945.jpg 20191015_171202.jpg 20191015_170945.jpg 20191015_171202.jpg

20191015_170945.jpg

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Wow.

i can’t answer your question and could never afford a stone like that, but having the entire collection certified and validated would be a great first step. Once that is done, many PSers can advise you of next steps to get fair market value prices for your stones.

best wishes and good luck!

amoline

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful stone. Can only echo what was said above. I could never afford this, as beautiful as it is, but the certificates will go a long way

And, perhaps, when I see some of the other things we will see if there is anything that is in line with my more meager budgets :D

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A member here had lots of stones that she was considering certifying/did have certified. Her “hoard.” :cool2: Maybe she can help advise how she decided which ones to send out! @Bron357

Best of luck, and we’d love to see more, of course!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, that’s me and I’m still a work in progress.
i think it’s pretty self evident that they are indeed natural star sapphires. They also have natural zoning. They would be unheated because heating makes the silk disappear and that’s what gives you the star.
While Synthetic Star sapphires exist, they look too perfect or so completely fake only a complete novice would be fooled.
Google Linde Star sapphires. These were all the rage in the 1940/ 60s and were quite attractive for synthetic. Some of the fake ones on eBay are literally white lines drawn squiggly on a blue base.
That said, if you can find a local gemologist with certification who can write a report, that will be helpful to potential buyers. Depending on the number of gems, at probably $75 each it will start adding up.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
My understanding is that GIA would be the best place to send stones for examination. Once they come back to you graded, you’ll have a way to research value by comparing what similar certified are selling for.

PerSweden

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for the input. Understand GIA would be best. But pricey. A cert for the large stone I uploaded photo of cost usd 350. Hopefully it will pay off in the end.

And yes,would be glad to upload images of a few more stones but I like to have some good natural sunlight. Got a rainy grey day in Gothenburg, Sweden.

The more I learn about colored stones the less inclined I get to sell. But I need to sell a dozen or so as my veteran boat needs the money:)

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don’t know anything about star sapphires, but I just wanted to say that yours is so very beautiful. It reminds me of the sun shining through the sky on a winters day. Your dad had excellent taste! There is also a colored stone section of this forum for enthusiasts, if you wanted to start a show and tell thread for others to admire your collection. :)) https://www.pricescope.com/community/forums/colored-gemstones.11/

PerSweden

Rough_Rock
Thanks for you kind words. Feels encouraging. This is a new world to me. GIA certification seem to be the way to go. More affordable and with a better reputation than most other validators. However,they dont seem to have a lab for colored stones in Europe. Might be tricky to ship back and forth to the US reg. customs etc.

Looking at cost for certs I am really surprised to see some labs could charge 600 usd for identity & origin of a less than 2 ct colored stone. Many stones are sold for less!?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
How about GRS? Very reputable lab and in certain parts of the world, much preferred over GIA.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Right , if you are in Europe GRS, Gubelin are the best labs. They have reputation at least on par with GIA when it comes to color and in fact they are the choice in that case. I would just take a trip with the stones and get them certed.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results