shape
carat
color
clarity

Sparkle or colour?

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you prefer to keep a smaller yellow diamond, or go for a big yellow sapphire with a bit of silk?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds and sapphires are very different.
If presence on your finger is more important, go with the sapphire.
If sparkle is more important, stay with diamond.
You need a really well cut and clean sapphire to get maximum “sparkle” (it doesn’t compare with a diamond though) too much silk in a sapphire can make it look flat and “muddy”.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
If the colour is not pleasant enough on its own, at least let there be sparkle, or something else (shape, size - presence). This goes for either type of stone.

A small golden diamond WWW or a great sapphire WWW would fit the bill. These are more or less beyond yellow; I do not know what shade you have in mind...

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go smaller yellow diamond as yellow diamonds have amazing colour as well as sparkle.

If you were talking about a pink diamond vs a pink sapphire on a budget (assuming you do not have the squillions for a huge super pink diamond) the answer will be different as at the lower price range I think pink sapphires look so much pinker and better than something minute that is barely pink!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote diamond. :)

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think if it's colour over spark, the colour has to be strong and saturated.

If on the lighter spectrum, I'd vote for spark.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote diamond. But it comes down to your personal preference completely. There is no right or wrong. A diamond would probably always be my first choice if I had to choose between a colored diamond or sapphire just because I love colored diamonds so much. They bring something to the table that’s special. I love sapphires but their presence is not the same imo.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends on how small and the colour of the diamond.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Pictures please! That’s really the only way to settle it.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would go with a diamond. I just love how they sparkle.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've seen some amazing yellow sapphires but they don't compare to the sparkle of a yellow diamond.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tough choice. I think it depends on a few factors. Can you find the buttery yellow color you’re looking for in a diamond and will the diamond be large enough for you to be happy with it? Do you love the yellow sapphire as is (size, shape, etc) or are you looking for something a little different? Sapphires don’t have the sparkle of a diamond but I am a total CS hoe so I’d probably pick the sapphire. Then again, it would be a colored diamond so...:think:

For me it all comes down to size. Personally, I have a size sweet spot. If I couldn’t afford that particular size in a diamond, I wouldn’t buy one...simply because I wouldn’t end up wearing it as much.

I love this guy but he’s way out of my price range. :P2
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/424ct-w-x-vs2-cushion-cut-diamond-gia-r7790

8CC0F045-BE75-434E-A135-6E084299AF49.jpeg
87924D95-9061-4547-8781-9BD01FB7B52F.jpeg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, the specific color of yellow could make or break either.
So it really depends.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like big and I dislike silky/sleepy so that also would be a hard decision for me. I think I would keep the smaller yellow diamond and set it in a substantial setting.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go smaller yellow diamond as yellow diamonds have amazing colour as well as sparkle.

...and amazing luster, the most underrated aspect of a gem IMO;)2

I have a half carat light yellow diamond, but I put it in a yellow gold bezel, which really enhances the color. It’s an option if one can not obtain a larger or more vivid yellow diamond. The bezel also makes the stone look larger.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
0CB1FC15-96A7-4AAC-A20A-6775849DD7ED.jpeg F280C386-D4A2-4ED9-BF99-610EFBEF6D49.jpeg This is the only light yellow I have. The diamond is in the S-T range, I could look for one lower in the alphabet or go fancy, but it would be expensive. I’m extremely picky when it comes to yellow. I don’t like golden or any modifiers. I don’t like it too saturated. The only exception to these rules is the chryso I have that is very saturated with a hint of green, but that’s a different beast. The cut on this diamond is great (transitional) and it’s clean. The sapphire I’ve been drooling over is the honker from Jeff White.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
0CB1FC15-96A7-4AAC-A20A-6775849DD7ED.jpeg F280C386-D4A2-4ED9-BF99-610EFBEF6D49.jpeg This is the only light yellow I have. The diamond is in the S-T range, I could look for one lower in the alphabet or go fancy, but it would be expensive. I’m extremely picky when it comes to yellow. I don’t like golden or any modifiers. I don’t like it too saturated. The only exception to these rules is the chryso I have that is very saturated with a hint of green, but that’s a different beast. The cut on this diamond is great (transitional) and it’s clean. The sapphire I’ve been drooling over is the honker from Jeff White.
I think it’s a gorgeous diamond. Mine is also light yellow like that. I love the cutting on that one much better than mine though, and I think it is in a gorgeous setting.

Did you get different lighting views of the JW sapphire? It could have a slight brown modifier, and you said you’re picky about that. Golden gems are prone to brown modifiers, not greenish yellows like the chrysoberyl you referenced.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I appreciate everyone’s responses, thank you. I’m going to be responsible and be happy with what I own, and put a lump sum payment on my mortgage. Booooring, I know. Lol

But also, I cleaned the ring up and wore it to the grocery store, and the sparkles were too good to trade in. :)

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't reply earlier because I don't wear yellow well so biased towards one that sparkles. Now that I see your ring, I'm glad you are keeping it (as much as I always look forward to seeing you do another project :D ) . It's even nicer that you can be responsible and still have a beautiful yellow diamond ring

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I appreciate everyone’s responses, thank you. I’m going to be responsible and be happy with what I own, and put a lump sum payment on my mortgage. Booooring, I know. Lol

But also, I cleaned the ring up and wore it to the grocery store, and the sparkles were too good to trade in. :)

We should all take a page out of your book and be this responsible. :cool2:
I love that low colored diamond ring too btw so I don't think you're missing out on anything there. Yummy! :kiss2:

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote for diamond too. :P2

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
8002BA3B-804C-444E-99A7-0A5950C91682.jpeg E7C1B965-1F48-45E8-B2FC-64B4DB520500.jpeg Okay, so I stupidly forgot about the coolest aspect of my diamond...and why I will NEVER sell it. I received my UV flashlight today from amazon. This diamond has phosphorescence. So, it glows in the dark, even AFTER YOU TURN THE LIGHT OFF. Pics don’t quite do it justice, as is usually the case. Fun, eh? :D

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
8002BA3B-804C-444E-99A7-0A5950C91682.jpeg E7C1B965-1F48-45E8-B2FC-64B4DB520500.jpeg Okay, so I stupidly forgot about the coolest aspect of my diamond...and why I will NEVER sell it. I received my UV flashlight today from amazon. This diamond has phosphorescence. So, it glows in the dark, even AFTER YOU TURN THE LIGHT OFF. Pics don’t quite do it justice, as is usually the case. Fun, eh? :D

That is so freaking cool! I didn't realize they could glow like that after the lights are out. :shock: :cool2:

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love fluorescence and this is even better! Your ring and stone are beautiful :love:

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow! That is awesome, NKOTB!! :geek: :dance:

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I know you've already made your decision but DIAMOND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that! Yes diamond all the way. Did you know before you bought the stone? I just checked and my smaller OMC has fluorescence and faint phosphorescence. So cool - I had no clue diamonds could glow!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results