shape
carat
color
clarity

Sotheby’s is holding its first all-gold auction

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm curious about the gold sheets. Are there any gold items other than jewelry that you would like to have? No need to be realistic.

Gold Ferrari up for grabs at Sotheby's — starting at $350,000
It’s a sale that would make King Midas — and likely President Donald Trump — proud.
by Alyssa Newcomb / Oct. 17, 2018 / 7:19 AM EDT

It’s a sale that would make King Midas — and likely President Donald Trump — proud.

Sotheby’s auction house is holding its first all-gold auction on Wednesday in London and there is, quite literally, something to suit the tastes of every member of the 1 percent.

The star of the show is a 1977 gold painted Ferrari, one of four in the world. Bidding will start at $450,000 for the car, which boasts a chestnut brown — not gold — interior.

And why not celebrate a successful bid on the car with a six liter gold bottle of Dom Pérignon champagne? Bidding for the 2002 bubbly starts at $19,278. Or perhaps you’d prefer the less expensive option: A gold three liter bottle of Louis Roederer 2002 Cristal Brut will start at $6,426.

Whichever sparkling beverage the winning bidder chooses can be poured into a set of eight wine goblets, which have a starting bid of $9,000.

Perhaps the most unusual item on the block is an 18-karat gold bust of supermodel Kate Moss, starting at $300,000. Called "Song of the Siren," the sculpture "boldly articulates the artist’s characteristic investigation into ideas of beauty and celebrity," according to Sotheby's.

The most expensive item is a 1961 painting from French artist Yves Klein, titled “Monogold Sans Titre.” The small gold panel starts at just over $1 million and articulates “the artist’s life-long preoccupation with the transcendental medium of gold,” according to Sotheby’s.

After all the excitement of Wednesday’s auction is over, one lucky deep-pocketed buyer can look forward to climbing into bed and getting some rest on a surprisingly soft king-sized set of bed sheets made of 24-karat gold and silk.

At just $38,000, they're unlikely to keep the 1 percent up at night.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/gold-ferrari-grabs-sotheby-s-starting-350-000-n921046

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sex toys?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also gonna need a gold laundry hamper, and gold washer/dryer for those gold sheets.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love gold and silver. Tiffany makes a ball of knitting yarn out of silver. If I had a beautiful showcase of a home and plenty of money to donate to charity, I would buy that.

TiffanySilverBallOfYarn.jpg

Last edited:

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd be afraid to wash the sheets.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
For the record:

Can't say I miss paper much: reading wthout search or freewheeling annotation, feels stiff now; I had always found books cringingly un-clean - especially the pilings of them in library situations o_O - public or private. Then again, jeweled books make all the sense in the world :whistle: - presumaby few & worth revisiting often. (says a lass who's been staring at this stuff much of the time between 4 & 40...)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results