shape
carat
color
clarity

Son has poison ivy, need some advice

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay guys, our 13 year old son has PI that is spreading and now it's on his face, he gets it like me and I always have to get on steroids because it completely takes over.

Here is the obvious problem, I don't want to bring him anywhere, when I called the walk-in (his Dr is closed until tomorrow) they said they would have to see him in person and they will not give him a mask, they all have masks on. I asked specifically if he would be given one because I feel that is prudent going to any medical facility right now. I am hoping his doctor will prescribe him something sight unseen as an extrodinary exception.

Does anyone know if there is anything I can give him to help that might prevent a doctor visit? He can't take Benadryl orally but I do have Eldeberry syrup I bought in case of sickness.

You know the kid just had to go play in the woods and pick the one tree that is covered in it. We aren't even letting them ride their bikes right now because I am not taking either one to the hospital unless it's life or death.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Reactions: AV_

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you tell the doctor that you have a diabetic husband at home and you can’t risk exposure to coronavirus ? Maybe if the doctor has a full understanding of your situation, he will prescribe meds over a video appointment or something.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you tell the doctor that you have a diabetic husband at home and you can’t risk exposure to coronavirus ? Maybe if the doctor has a full understanding of your situation, he will prescribe meds over a video appointment or something.

Yes, I have to call them tomorrow as the office was already closed when we realized that he has PI and that it was actively spreading. I am going to tell her the full scope and just hope that they will help us out. The walk-in said they can't do anything without seeing him.

If the doctor requires he be seen the office is 45 minutes away, do you think there is any benefit to going there if they require a visit vs the walk-in that is 10 minutes away?

Gotta say although I know it's not his fault I am so mad, not what we need right now at all!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am actually shocked to hear that they won't do a video appointment and/or allow you to take photos and send to them. Under the circumstances, it is just not good practice to make patients come in person if there are alternatives...unless they are sometimes seeing rash with coronavirus and have to rule it out.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@minousbijoux, I agree 100%. I told her that he hasn't been allowed to leave the house at all. Ugh so upsetting, I hope his doctor is more reasonable.

@MakingTheGrade, he has been putting that on to no avail, when we get it nothing stops it usually. Didn't no that about poison control though, thanks for that tip.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to see if you've tried applying Calamine lotion? That always eased me and the pink tinge left after application helped me to keep aware not to itch/spread it...

Last edited:

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Tea Tree Oil has anti-inflammatory properties.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@marymm, yes he has put calamine on it after a shower when it's totally dry. Initially it just took off! We also have some Tecnu but that isn't helping either.

@DAF, I forgot about TT oil, I will see what's in the cabinet, thanks for the reminder!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to get poison ivy every year after cuddling our cat, who walked in the woods behind our house and got the oil on his fur. My husband gets it when he does yard work.

Hydrocortisone cream helps. but the best thing in our experience is a scrub that actually removes the irritating poison ivy oil (urushiol) from the skin. Urushiol bonds with the skin about 10 minutes after exposure and doesn't come off with ordinary cleansers afterward.

The scrub we use is Zanfel. I get it at Walmart but other stores carry it also. CVS has its own brand version (https://www.cvs.com/shop/cvs-health-poison-ivy-wash-1-oz-prodid-1520014). We have used that, too; it's just as good. Both are really expensive-- 1 oz. tube for about $39, and you will need multiple tubes-- but they work. You can tell it's working because itching stops if you have used the scrub according to directions. It's common for the itching to resume, when the urushiol in the deeper layers of the skin works its way up to the more superficial layers of the skin. That's when you need to use the scrub again. Hence buying multiple tubes.

I have used the scrub on my face but you want to be careful not to scrub too hard or too long because facial skin is a bit more delicate.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry this is happening to you, SL! I would be curious what the doctor's rationale is for having you come in during this crisis. Your poor son and poor you!

What about antihistamines to help block the reaction and itchiness and then witch hazel or rubbing alcohol to help dry it out. Also, we used to use an oatmeal bath treatment, so I'm wondering if a solution of oatmeal and water would help? Good luck!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also helpful in reducing the discomfort and inflammation is cold compresses. Fill a basin with cold tap water, throw in a few ice cubes, and place a soft washcloth in it. Have him wring out the washcloth and apply it to his itchy skin. When it isn't cold any more, dip it again in the basin, wring it out and reapply.

Simple, free, and it helps.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I hope you are able to telemed with the Dr tomorrow. Do you know if your urgent care is handling any sick/flu/patients? Ours is not.....they set up a special clinic for screening people with flu-like symptoms. They are not taking anyone with flu or virus like symtoms at the urgent care here. I understand your hesitation but maybe that would help.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@pearlsngems, do you think something like Zanfel would work after a couple of days, so in other words not at the onset of exposure? I'll have him try the cold compresses.

@minousbijoux, well there is hope because his actual doctor may work with us, I was only able to speak to the walk-in because the office was closed so there is a chance still. Unfortunately he can't tolerate any oral antihistamines, sounds crazy but he turns into a zombie, I guess this can happen to some kids. However an oatmeal bath might help so I'll add that to the list.

@1ofakind, they are screening people because the woman I was speaking with said that I would have to answer questions about exposure and because he has not left the house, we have not been out of the state or country etc, they would be able to see him. That still leaves all
The people who work there though and I have no idea what their exposure has been. Not that I don't care about my son but I worry about him bringing something home to my husband, he is the most likely to have severe complications.

I really appreciate everyone who has taken the time to respond. If they insist on him going in tomorrow I may try some of these remedies and suggestions but if I remember right once it gets to the face it is considered widespread...widespread, haven't we hear that word enough already?!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stephanie I’m sorry your poor son is suffering with this. Hopefully his regular doc will be able to RX him what he needs without having to see him in person. All the MDs around here are doing telemedicine. I did a search and maybe one of these treatments can help in the meantime. Baking soda might help was his discomfort. Also if you have witch hazel that’s worth a try. Good luck.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @missy, talk about bad timing right? That's kids for you! Thanks for the advice!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @missy, talk about bad timing right? That's kids for you! Thanks for the advice!

I know the timing is the worst. :(
I agree with you completely though not to bring him to urgent care. Too risky for your dh. Hoping your doctor can help you tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed for you and your son!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Im appalled at your doctor
and i feel bad for your son
doctors here are doing consultations by phone, email and video calls
Wishing you and your son all the best with this.
If i was you i would not risk going out but its miserable for your son

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no! When we got poison ivy as kids, Mom used calamine lotion on us.
I have no other wisdom, but you got some great advice from other PSers.
Sending healing vibes to DS #1!

CLL

Rough_Rock
Try oatmeal baths and cool, wet compresses until you can go to your doctor or an urgent care clinic.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@pearlsngems, do you think something like Zanfel would work after a couple of days, so in other words not at the onset of exposure? I'll have him try the cold compresses.
... if I remember right once it gets to the face it is considered widespread...widespread, haven't we hear that word enough already?!

The longer you wait, the more it will get inflamed and irritated as the urushiol continues to irritate the skin, and the longer it may take to heal. I have found that the moment I think I may have poison ivy-- the first few itchy bumps-- is the best time to start using the Zanfel. Then it sometimes goes away entirely with only one scrubbing. The longer I wait to start, the more product it takes (and thus more $$) and the longer to heal. Same for my husband.

When I was in college I had it all over my face but not elsewhere. Miserable, I went to classes with a wet washcloth, but I didn't turn the corner until I began using hydrocortisone cream. If you have that, use it.

Last edited:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also...can he tolerate ibuprofen or naproxyn? Both are anti-inflammatories. Tylenol (acetaminophen) isn't.
Reducing inflammation is a good thing.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I have to call them tomorrow as the office was already closed when we realized that he has PI and that it was actively spreading. I am going to tell her the full scope and just hope that they will help us out. The walk-in said they can't do anything without seeing him.

If the doctor requires he be seen the office is 45 minutes away, do you think there is any benefit to going there if they require a visit vs the walk-in that is 10 minutes away?

Gotta say although I know it's not his fault I am so mad, not what we need right now at all!

I completely understand your feelings of frustration. My son might be coming down with strep and my husband has diabetes too. I am trying to keep the house on lockdown with no exposure. It’s not easy.

When my son started to show signs of strep, I started to think of the best way to protect my husband if my son and I had to go into the clinic. We brought our travel trailer on to our property for isolation. We stocked it up for 14 days worth of living. So , my son and I would have to isolate in the trailer if we have to go to the clinic. If you and your son have to go in, is there any way you two can set up a distancing/isolation area in the home for either your husband or you and your son? Also, do you and your son have any type of scarves or masks? They just determined yesterday that the virus can be spread through breathing and talking. You want to protect yourselves while at the clinic. They say distancing is best, but this helps too.

I hope his regular doctor will do a video appointment. We have poison oak around here and my son and I blow up like balloons when we touch it. There’s no hope for us. We need prednisone. Your poor little guy must be suffering. Maybe try keeping that Zanfel stuff on hand for next time if you catch it early.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have used oral benadryl topically and it helped. Since he cannot take it orally, I wonder if the skin absorption would be too much for him, but maybe just in a few bad spots like face would be OK?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, don't forget to thoroughly clean his clothing-- including his shoes/laces-- of any urushiol that may have transferred to them from the plant. The oil remains potent for years and can cause another episode of poison ivy rash if touched.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also if it’s been over a year since he’s had Benadryl, this may be a good time to do a retrial. Sometimes kids tolerate sedating medications better as they grow up and are bigger in body and more developed in brain. it might still knock him out (my partner is very sensitive to Benadryl still and gets super sleepy) but then at least you’ll know (partner now uses it to sleep sometimes haha). And best case scenario he can tolerate it now and you guys have that option going forward.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Everyone,

The morning's are a bit hectic with homeschooling but just wanted to update that I called his doctor explained everything and she is going to call me back. It looks like he will probably NOT have to go into the office. That is a relief because that county has significantly more COVID cases than ours so if he had to go in I would have just brought him to the walk-in clinic.

@pearlsngems, thank you for all the help especially about the shoelaces because I wouldn't have thought of that!

@House Cat, so sorry your husband is in a similar situation with a pre-existing condition, it really is so stressful. Strep is not what you (or your son) need right now for sure. Unfortunately there is no way for us to isolate ourselves because our house is so small and there is no basement or anywhere else really. It looks like we will probably be able to do a phone visit from the impression I got this morning, waiting for the doctor to call back.

Sorry I did not respond to everyone but I will come back and update.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also if it’s been over a year since he’s had Benadryl, this may be a good time to do a retrial. Sometimes kids tolerate sedating medications better as they grow up and are bigger in body and more developed in brain. it might still knock him out (my partner is very sensitive to Benadryl still and gets super sleepy) but then at least you’ll know (partner now uses it to sleep sometimes haha). And best case scenario he can tolerate it now and you guys have that option going forward.

That's good to know, he has always been a little guy (4lbs 15oz at birth) so maybe now that he is a little older, a little more weight he will be able to tolerate it.

Also I just wanted to say thank you for everything you do, I know it is a tough time for doctors and you are very much appreciated in case you haven't heard it lately.

Dhana

Shiny_Rock
If doctors office is not responsive I would look into telemedicine.
They are here for the same reason to treat things like this that doesn’t require in office visit

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's good to know, he has always been a little guy (4lbs 15oz at birth) so maybe now that he is a little older, a little more weight he will be able to tolerate it.

Also I just wanted to say thank you for everything you do, I know it is a tough time for doctors and you are very much appreciated in case you haven't heard it lately.

Aw thanks. I actually work primarily with pediatric populations so I’m not really on the front lines since our kiddos seem to be doing well fighting off covid, thank goodness for that silver lining. The risk to them isn’t zero but it’s so much significantly lower for which I’m ever so grateful.

Also I agree that a poison ivy rash should be able to be addressed via a tele visit. Our dermatology consultants are often able to do consults via phone and photos with us if they’re not physically able to be present.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results