shape
carat
color
clarity

So what do you all think about this cabochon ruby?

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
8692B65C-E679-473B-9E73-925CFA3C0BE7.jpeg 8869A990-F8F5-4111-8F3F-AD670EC637F4.jpeg 4A1B42B8-B92E-4EF1-A2A6-288A488F2D9C.jpeg
First one indoor next to window, no direct sun.
Second in hallway, no direct light
Last one outdoor direct sun.

I guess since it’s not a faceted stone, it really is just about color and glow? How does cabochon price compared to faceted stone? Thanks!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the treatment? Lab report?

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s heated from the John Saul mine from Kenya. I have not requested to see the lab report yet as I didn’t know what color to expect.

Reactions: AV_

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Heating can also mean it’s filled and maybe lead glass filled. It’s very important to get full lab reports with rubies, unless you didn’t pay very much. I mean treatment can make a stone $10/ct vs $1,000,000/ct.

Does it have fluorescence?

ETA: if it is glass filled, you have to be very careful setting it, and never put it in harsh chemicals, steam, or an ultrasonic cleaner.

Last edited:

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's a gorgeous stone, but to me it's definitely on the pink side.

Cabs are usually less expensive than faceted stones. I've heard this is because there was a quality problem with the rough that prevented it from being faceted. Also the more pink, the lower the price.

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
[QUOTE="

Does it have fluorescence?
[/QUOTE] @T L

I am not sure what this means or how’s to tell.

I do like the color and the gem quite a bit, it is quite glows and translucent to the naked eye, I can see some crystal structures (are those considered inclusions? Like little cracks/fissures in the gem, and some swishy milky strands) I can see that with my naked eye at certain angle. They don’t bother me and actually is quite charming.

I will request to see the lab report.

@prs yes it is on the pink side, raspberry, which I like! I guess some would call it pink sapphire. Right now the vendor is asking $600/ct.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You definitely need the lab report. Rubies are so valuable and desirable that all sorts of treatments are used, especially those that turn rubbish quality stones into attractive gems.
$600 a carat for a heat only ruby is a great price, $600 a carat for heat with signs of residue (aka glass filling) is way too expensive.
Surface reaching cracks / fissures are not desirable and usually an indication of glass or flux filling.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you’re into rubies, you should get a UV light. You can get a pocket one inexpensively. There are all sorts of threads on fluorescence here. A ruby should have strong red fluorescence. It should glow red in sunlight.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As stated earlier, heated (and to what extent) can mean a multitude of things to a ruby, drastically affecting price.
I don't believe all heat residue is equal to glass filling.
I like the color.
For 600/ct, I wouldn't want more than mild residues and very little surface reaching fractures that I can see readily with my naked eye, and for sure over 2carats, and transparent not translucent.
The lab report would be crucial. And what lab. And that they defined the level of heat/flux residue.

Edit-
Are these your pictures? I'm confused - you bought but didn't get to see the lab report that it has?

Last edited:

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As stated earlier, heated (and to what extent) can mean a multitude of things to a ruby, drastically affecting price.
I don't believe all heat residue is equal to glass filling.
I like the color.
For 600/ct, I wouldn't want more than mild residues and very little surface reaching fractures that I can see readily with my naked eye, and for sure over 2carats, and transparent not translucent.
The lab report would be crucial. And what lab. And that they defined the level of heat/flux residue.

Edit-
Are these your pictures? I'm confused - you bought but didn't get to see the lab report that it has?
Yes, these are my pictures, vendor has a good return policy, I figure I will ask for the report if I like the color.

ETA: With regard to transparency/translucent, my understanding of transparent means you can actually see clearly thru, like air or glass, not sure one can get a transparent cabochon... is transparent for gems defined differently?

Last edited:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
'Transparent' means what it always means. It is customary to facet transparent material & make the translucent into cabochons. There are many more faceted transucent ruby than transparent cabs...

I love the shape & the colour - I see poppy red in sunlight & pinkish elsewhere; more flowers, less blood (red). The texture of the stone does contribute to this charater of colour too.

2c

voce

Ideal_Rock
It's a classic John Saul mines color, but a) it's not my favorite shade of red, and b) it's heated. I think the price is very fair, as I think I know the vendor, but you have to decide for yourself what you think about the color. It does have great clarity for a cab and an even color distribution, which are good signs.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the color so much so that I own a John Saul Ruby cab. Got it from Yvonne. Mine is pink-red (i.e more red) with a touch of a purple modifier which isn't everyone's cup of tea. But then again my favorite Mahenge spinel is of a similar hue whereas most people prefer neon bubblegum pink. And yes, both fluoresce :) In the end, its a matter of taste and preference. Besides my favorite crayon as a kid was "magenta" (I had to beg my mom for a new 64 crayon box every time I wore that one crayon out).

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really like the color and I’m fond of pinkish rubies. It looks beautiful on you! It sounds like you like it well enough to check on any treatment that might affect its durability. I wouldn’t worry about heat if that is the only treatment. I also enjoy looking at inclusions with a Loupe. You can find an inexpensive one that has a UV light on it. I found one on Etsy at FDJtools.

Let us know what you decide and what you find out! :read:

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really like the color and I’m fond of pinkish rubies. It looks beautiful on you! It sounds like you like it well enough to check on any treatment that might affect its durability. I wouldn’t worry about heat if that is the only treatment. I also enjoy looking at inclusions with a Loupe. You can find an inexpensive one that has a UV light on it. I found one on Etsy at FDJtools.

Let us know what you decide and what you find out! :read:
@MissyBeaucoup yes, I really love the color in person. I didn’t know what to expect with a cab, but I really love how glowy and vibrant it is. I do not mind the heat treatment at all. Thanks for pointing me to the fluorescence tread. I am going to order a UV light...

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Rubybrick I think the glow is a hint that it probably will show fluorescence. You can tell sometimes by the extra glow you get in sunlight too. Enjoy!

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
If untreated it's a great gem, if heated and filled or diffused, it's just another pebble on the beach.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the record heat with "minor residues", is permanent and is NOT the same as cheap glass filled rubies. Rubies with heat and minor residues do go for $600+ or more per carat if they are top colour these days.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the pink due to the intensity. However, it does matter to me whether it is treated or untreated at that price!

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all your help. I pulled the trigger on this one, it is confirmed with low heat treatment only and I am thrilled to finally own a “ruby”!

voce

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all your help. I pulled the trigger on this one, it is confirmed with low heat treatment only and I am thrilled to finally own a “ruby”!
:appl:omg congrats! I'm excited for you! ;)2Though, also surprised this is your first ruby, given your chosen name on PS has the word "ruby" in it. :twisted2:

Any ideas on how you'll set it yet?

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ruby was the name of my first dog, well she’s my DHs first “darling”, Brick is Ruby’s son and I adopted both of them when my DH moves in with me. It funny but my PS name is so not bling related!

It will be set in a hand carved solitaire. The setting cost is actually what I struggled with the most! :lol:

voce

Ideal_Rock
Ruby was the name of my first dog, well she’s my DHs first “darling”, Brick is Ruby’s son and I adopted both of them when my DH moves in with me. It funny but my PS name is so not bling related!

It will be set in a hand carved solitaire. The setting cost is actually what I struggled with the most! :lol:
That's sweet of you, about the two dogs. Why a hand carved solitaire in particular? Is it going to have an organic special design? Are you setting it with Yvonne or someone else?

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's sweet of you, about the two dogs. Why a hand carved solitaire in particular? Is it going to have an organic special design? Are you setting it with Yvonne or someone else?
Yes an organic setting to compliment the cab. This will only be my 3rd ring, well not counting my impulse buy FY marquise which will be reset when more funds are available. I would love to work with Yvonne on a ring down the road. I like the rosette style but I am not sure if I am comfortable wearing such showy rings!

voce

Ideal_Rock
I started off not knowing whether I could wear showy rings. I chose a simple solitaire for my first sapphire (in my avatar now, along with the rosette). I'm comfortable wearing showy rings now because I got seduced by all the colorful CRD productions. :P2 Still, I alternate between simple and showy, but generally try to decide what ring to wear based on what clothing I wear. Sometimes I go for similar tones, and sometimes it's a contrasting tone. Today I wore a red top and the rosette.

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@voce I really love Yvonne’s blue opal and paraiba pendant she posted on IG. I would like a ring like that some day as both my kids are October babies so I like the symbolism too. However, I am realizing I am in the camp that I can not have unset gems, or even gems in a setting I don’t love... it will have to wait quite a bit....

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
751C5367-CCD1-478E-95BC-132F7E6EC4A2.jpeg ECD79B26-FE5E-4273-866B-493038394005.jpeg 85ABB372-D5F1-4490-B785-314107C75A3B.jpeg 99E28421-8E90-4604-9B9F-234238CA4FC4.jpeg 9485B931-214B-483C-A5F4-18ABE63F0235.jpeg
Some update, and need a little help deciding on the side stones...
2mm or 2.5mm diamond
Side ruby or not? If no ruby the flower center will be articulated with more details.
Which combo to go? Setting will be 22k gold.

Attachments

• 69EAAC4C-FC1D-4418-B2AC-C56D15EBCCA5.jpeg
    69EAAC4C-FC1D-4418-B2AC-C56D15EBCCA5.jpeg
    247.2 KB · Views: 56

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooooh pretty!
I’m a fence sitter on the decision of the flower center ruby or not.
22k yellow with that cab! :swoon: :love:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is very pink and not very saturated in colour, however it is very pleasing to my eyes and I like it.

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results