shape
carat
color
clarity

Size up for Bands?

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Im having a solitaire made and Im planning to order a few bands to go with it. The bands I'm considering range from 1.5- 2 mm. I plan to only wear one or two at a time with my solitaire. I was planning on just ordering my regular size- 5.25 but then I read that I should size up. Now Im totally confused. What does everyone here typically do or reccomend. Size up or order regular size?

RayRay

Shiny_Rock
I honestly think it depends on your finger. Some people have to size up a half or whole size, and others like me, don’t have to size up at all. Do you have some bands you can try it on first? Or buy some cheap ones and give it a try. May be better to wait until warmer weather when your fingers may swell a little too.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I do size up half a size on my rings because if I don't it becomes very uncomfortable when I'm over warm or have eaten anything salty and wear more than one ring. I agree with the suggestion of trying on multiple bands and see what it does to your fingers. It's possible you're one of the lucky ones who doesn't need to size up but maybe you will. Best to try it for yourself.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they're that skinny and you're not stacking too many, I would just get your regular size. I size up once I get to about 6-7mm thickness on a single ring or over 8-10mm on a stack depending on the ring styles.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the replies. I had no idea that sizing up on bands was even a thing. I would have been upset if I had purchased my bands and they were uncomfortable. I suspect my regular size will work for me but I want to make sure. I will definitely order some cheapies from amazon before purchasing any expensive bands.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would 100% recommend getting at least 1/4 to a 1/2 size larger if you plan on wearing 2-3 rings at a time. If eternity, I’d go 1/2 size larger, if half eternity, then you can go with a smaller size since they can be sized in time.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As others have written it depends. I size up on all my bands now as 1. my fingers swell when I am warm and 2. the more rings one wears on the same finger the more one should probably size up.

I realize you are only wearing skinny bands and only 1 or 2 at that so your need to size up is probably less than someone who is wearing a thicker band or more bands at once on the same finger. I size up 1/4 to a 1/2 and I only wear 1-2 bands with my ER at most. However as I get older my knuckles are getting harder for the rings to get past so just another complicating factor. I don't think you will need to size up more than a quarter of a size reading what your intentions are for wearing your rings. If you can go to a store and try on different sizes (similar to your ring widths) together and see how it all fits on your finger.

Another good option IMO if you size up and it is a bit loose during let's say cooler weather is sizing beads or inexpensive sizing thingamajigs from Amazon. They really work great.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it depends on the shape of your finger. My knuckle is larger than the base of my finger. I don't size up with bands because so long as they go over the knuckle, I have plenty of room for several stackers without it being too tight.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Size up 1/2 size on eternities since they can’t be sized. I got married at 7.25, 40 years later I wear an 8

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BGD recommends no, but I always go up at least .25 a size, if not a half size.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results