shape
carat
color
clarity

Show your Spessartites!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These magical garnets deserve a new thread! With all of the subtle color variations, and their tremendous, sun like beauty, these stones bring so much joy! If you’ve got a spess, please share!

Last edited:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Since we officially have a thread I'll post my one and only
Spessy here!

Its a tiny gal coming in at 6x4mm but has that delicious orange
soda coloring that I love!

Someday I'd like to bezel it in a simple EW setting in yellow gold and stack it with another tiny simple bezeled ring that I own that has a purple star sapphire!

spessy.jpg spessy2.jpg

Until then I'm on the lookout for my dream spess, which would basically have the same coloring but in the 3+ carat range.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since we officially have a thread I'll post my one and only
Spessy here!

Its a tiny gal coming in at 6x4mm but has that delicious orange
soda coloring that I love!

Someday I'd like to bezel it in a simple EW setting in yellow gold and stack it with another tiny simple bezeled ring that I own that has a purple star sapphire!

spessy.jpg spessy2.jpg

Until then I'm on the lookout for my dream spess, which would basically have the same coloring but in the 3+ carat range.

That is such a great little spess! Would look fabulous with your beautiful purple star. I love that yellow type of spess too. It always amazes me the color ranges which they have.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is another picture of the new one...
92A3AA93-2F93-4FA8-8BAD-98C15E6EA9EC.png
These beads, heart pendant and cabs have more yellow in them...some a touch of brown, which I think softens the orange in a lovely way in spessartites.
092472FA-32C0-445D-BF8A-1E632E0F5214.jpeg 64ADB81E-52B7-4B07-814C-D082DD2700B8.jpeg
Here is my spess bracelet...
FB85DECD-4848-4091-A7F8-3D6A53497793.jpeg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a lovely spess ring featuring a brownish stone but the color was extremely soft and elegant, especially when combined with the sparkle. A very interesting combination.Not mine but worth adding.... BDF5E327-A763-4E56-BE9D-FADF0B5E30E2.png 342B296A-D2BF-4E6E-96BC-7D1761FA18A9.png

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
@Bluegemz That beaded necklace and that cab pair look like yummy tangerine gumdrops! Mmm :lickout:
& everytime you post your bracelet my knees get weak! That color pairing is just to die for!

Any ideas yet of how you'd like to set your new spess?

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bluegemz That beaded necklace and that cab pair look like yummy tangerine gumdrops! Mmm :lickout:
& everytime you post your bracelet my knees get weak! That color pairing is just to die for!

Any ideas yet of how you'd like to set your new spess?

Hey, thanks! Here are some of my inspiration pics...I like the idea of intense pink stones around it as in this ring, FD24B1F8-BB43-4398-9F31-130D4A9857B0.jpeg
Also like these styles and the idea of simple trapezoid or half moon diamonds. 6F2A27E0-3977-42F4-B2CF-4498348DA7B4.jpeg 408C63B7-F119-44A5-9DF2-FD929FA848E2.jpeg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
These stones are so hard to photograph! Here's mine in a rose gold setting by DanielM. I have two more loose ones which are a little less yellow and a little sleepier, but I haven't managed to get decent photos of them. IMG_5229.jpg IMG_5222.jpg IMG_5234.jpg

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
These are my two newest ones. Left is included, but glows like crazy! Right was from Tucson. Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 1.08.30 PM copy.png IMG_2421.jpeg

An old purchase. Dark, but has lovely orange highlights and sparkles.
Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 2.12.01 PM.png

Spess and spinel ring from JuliaB:
SpessSpinelJuliaB copy.jpg

A ring I had made with some old spess. I'm going to change the sides. I wasn't really thinking when I had it made, and it needs contrast.
IMG_9945.JPG

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These stones are so hard to photograph! Here's mine in a rose gold setting by DanielM. I have two more loose ones which are a little less yellow and a little sleepier, but I haven't managed to get decent photos of them. IMG_5229.jpg IMG_5222.jpg IMG_5234.jpg

What a beautiful ring! The color of your spess is so stunning!
I know it must look even better IRL because, you are right, they are hard to photograph.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are my two newest ones. Left is included, but glows like crazy! Right was from Tucson. Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 1.08.30 PM copy.png IMG_2421.jpeg

An old purchase. Dark, but has lovely orange highlights and sparkles.
Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 2.12.01 PM.png

Spess and spinel ring from JuliaB:
SpessSpinelJuliaB copy.jpg

A ring I had made with some old spess. I'm going to change the sides. I wasn't really thinking when I had it made, and it needs contrast.
IMG_9945.JPG

What a wonderful collection! I love your newest additions... any plans for them?

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot I had this one!
I bought it loose and made the setting. I gave it an oxidized finish because I thought the dark metal intensifies the orange tones.
IMG_20200215_162413100.jpg

Wow, what a great combination! The metal really shows the glow and color of the stone. Amazing that you made that!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock

Ahhhhh I also tried to find your ring glitterata! It's sheer simplicity makes it just so beautiful. I was wondering if rose gold would work for spess and for your shade theres no question about it!

@Bluegemz That first pairing, with those vibrant pinks!!! You must do!! It would be so gorgeous for your new girl.

@T L Isnt it just deliciously bright and juicy? It looks like the damn thing pulsates!!

@stracci2000 Your handmade oxidized SS ring is just perfect for that spess! I think that's my favorite of yours! So yum!!

@MrsKMB For the very last 3 stone ring, are the smaller side stones also spessartites? I actually think that they look great in the same color and shade, all in solidarity...its quite striking in a good way!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
So incredibly hard to take decent photos of these gems. Here are my other two. In person they're slightly oranger than the one set in my rose gold ring, which is a bit yellower. The oranger ones are each a little less than 2.5 ct, the ring one a bit more than 2.5 ct. They're all three from Loliondo, and like most spessartites from there, they're all pretty included. The smaller, oranger cushion is a little sleepy and has a peppering of dark inclusions in one corner, but I love the color; the emerald cut is clearer and really lovely. I got the small cushion and the emerald cut for great prices, I think because they're so hard to photograph--I took a chance based on unattractive brown-and-yellow photos and a description. They really are much, much nicer in person than in these photos, as I'm sure you know from trying to take pictures of your own spessartites. The highlights are orange in real life, not yellow, and the shadows are orange, not brown.

fullsizeoutput_698a.jpeg fullsizeoutput_6988.jpeg fullsizeoutput_697b.jpeg

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@glitterata I know what you mean about trying to photograph spessartites. They can look more yellow/ brown in pics, then in real life knock your socks off. My 3 stone round brilliant cut is the same. No photo can truly capture the special glow and sparkle of these very special garnets. :kiss2:
Maybe we can convert a few PS'ers to join the spessartite lovers here? ;)2

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So incredibly hard to take decent photos of these gems. Here are my other two. In person they're slightly oranger than the one set in my rose gold ring, which is a bit yellower. The oranger ones are each a little less than 2.5 ct, the ring one a bit more than 2.5 ct. They're all three from Loliondo, and like most spessartites from there, they're all pretty included. The smaller, oranger cushion is a little sleepy and has a peppering of dark inclusions in one corner, but I love the color; the emerald cut is clearer and really lovely. I got the small cushion and the emerald cut for great prices, I think because they're so hard to photograph--I took a chance based on unattractive brown-and-yellow photos and a description. They really are much, much nicer in person than in these photos, as I'm sure you know from trying to take pictures of your own spessartites. The highlights are orange in real life, not yellow, and the shadows are orange, not brown.

fullsizeoutput_698a.jpeg fullsizeoutput_6988.jpeg fullsizeoutput_697b.jpeg

Beautiful collection! It’s interesting to see how the light plays in the different cuts. That emerald cut looks really crystal, whereas the cushion actually looks like a real little cushion of warmth and glow! I am using my imagination because I know that for some reason, the browns and yellows are truly orange and lighter orange/yellows, ( but you did a good job picturing them because they still look gorgeous.) . It I immensely hard to capture them. I have failed so far in spite of multiple attempts lol! Frex, in my earrings...they don’t have those dark marks IRL, even though I’m sure that they are not precision cut, and have some extinction. Still one sees orange IRL.
Great pieces. Are you going to do something with them? Has your ring satisfied a spess jewelry craving or do you envision more?
I always thought that one piece would be enough, but then the presence is so unique, I have found a desire to have a ring made which would answer to the others.

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bluegemz , we might need to call you Orangegemz!

Ha! It may be true....but I can only do orange spessartites because of their magic...the colors combined with the way they sparkle and interact with the light. They remind me of crucibles filled with molten sun. Orange stones generally don’t look as great with my skin as I would like....but somehow I can pull off wearing spessartites. I imagine that others can pull them off even if orange is not their best color too.

Last edited:

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Are you going to do something with them? Has your ring satisfied a spess jewelry craving or do you envision more?

Thanks for the kind words, Blue! I bought the two not-yet-set spessartites because they were such bargains. (The 2.4 ct emerald cut was $100!) I don't yet know what I'll be doing with them. I've been spending a lot of money setting stones lately and don't yet have a clear idea of what I want to do with these, but I imagine someday I'll set them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results