shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your sapphires with and without halos!

tand*m

Shiny_Rock
My skintone is kind of olive so I'm wondering if a halo is the best way to help a sapphire (or dark bluish/purplish stone) pop as a ring. Some buttercup settings really look nice with the white metal outlining the stone; but most sapphires I've seen are haloed (or 3 stone, which would be difficult with my round).

What have you seen that you really like? Ready, set, go!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tand*m, here are some of mine....old pictures. You've seen my large star sapphire ring, but here are a few other sapphires..the pendant is slightly more lavender, and slightly less saturated in life than in my crappy iPhone picture. Also, the brownish mark on the star is a light distortion or something because it's not there in life. I think a blue or lavender sapphire against olive skin tone would be gorgeous!

IMG_4965.jpg
IMG_4968.jpg
IMG_4969.jpg

Last edited:

tand*m

Shiny_Rock
Ooh all these pieces are gorgeous! The round with the semi bezel and sidestones is so unique too-- is that a custom design? Love how it sets off the sapphire.

The pendant is so pretty, the scallop detail is a really nice touch.

And I don't ever get tired of seeing your star sapphire! :love:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh all these pieces are gorgeous! The round with the semi bezel and sidestones is so unique too-- is that a custom design? Love how it sets off the sapphire.

The pendant is so pretty, the scallop detail is a really nice touch.

And I don't ever get tired of seeing your star sapphire! :love:
Thank you! Yes, the sapphire ering is a custom piece by a favorite local jeweler who is also a sculptor . I fell in love with how architectural the lines are. Here are some side shots.
IMG_4973.jpg

IMG_4974.jpg

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
This is a ring that David Klass recently completed for me. I thought I would wear it as a RHR but turns out I'm not a RHR person, haha. So whenever I feel like wearing it I pair it with my wedding band.

IMG_2819.JPG

IMG_2804.JPG

aac2013

Shiny_Rock
I have 2 sapphire rings at the moment. One is 4.70 carats (10.33 mm round) set in a halo. The other is 4.06 carats (11.11 × 8.10 mm) oval set as a 3 stone ring. I love both. The oval has a strong blue presence in all lighting. The round is a glowy blue but occasionally has a slight purple tint in stromg fluorescent office lighting.

20170922_090748.jpg

20170909_155041.jpg

20150504_175216.jpg

Last edited:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is mine: a blue 5+ carat sapphire in a platinum ring. The center stone is flanked by a diamond baguette on each side.

Can you post a photo of your stone OP?

IMG_3991.JPG IMG_3992.JPG IMG_3993.JPG

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

tand*m

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! Yes, the sapphire ering is a custom piece by a favorite local jeweler who is also a sculptor . I fell in love with how architectural the lines are. Here are some side shots.
IMG_4973.jpg

IMG_4974.jpg

I LOOOVE architectural lines! There are a lot of architects in my family, maybe that's where I get it from. The profile is stunning, I love how open the sides are to show off the sapphire belly. What a beautiful ering.:love:

tand*m

Shiny_Rock
This is a ring that David Klass recently completed for me. I thought I would wear it as a RHR but turns out I'm not a RHR person, haha. So whenever I feel like wearing it I pair it with my wedding band.

IMG_2819.JPG

IMG_2804.JPG

mrsgreeneyes, that is so beautiful and I love the elegance of the lines! The 3 petal prongs are such a unique and subtle touch, and the tapered shank really sets it all off.

I also have a spinel ring from DK that was intended to be a RHR but I didn't realize how much I use my dominant hand-- now it is on my left hand too.

tand*m

Shiny_Rock
I have 2 sapphire rings at the moment. One is 4.70 carats (10.33 mm round) set in a halo. The other is 4.06 carats (11.11 × 8.10 mm) oval set as a 3 stone ring. I love both. The oval has a strong blue presence in all lighting. The round is a glowy blue but occasionally has a slight purple tint in stromg fluorescent office lighting.

20170922_090748.jpg

20170909_155041.jpg

20150504_175216.jpg

@aac2013, your sapphires are unreal! Those would be my HG stones. The finger presence of both is incredible; I bet you can probably see these from across the room.

My round cc sapphire goes from more purple to a lighter blue so is much more subtle than yours. I love how the halo complements the round, though-- I am worried on mine that it might be too much, but on yours the proportions are so elegant. Thank you for sharing!

tand*m

Shiny_Rock
My 7.1mm sapphire in a cluster setting.

IMG_2253.JPG

@mrs-b Your ring is like a fresh breath of spring. I love the scallops, and the calm blue of the sapphire. It must make you smile every time you see it.

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
mrsgreeneyes, that is so beautiful and I love the elegance of the lines! The 3 petal prongs are such a unique and subtle touch, and the tapered shank really sets it all off.

I also have a spinel ring from DK that was intended to be a RHR but I didn't realize how much I use my dominant hand-- now it is on my left hand too.
Thank you! It was a labor of love and I spent way too much time questioning my design choices, haha. It's very nice to hear someone else appreciate the elements I stressed over so much, thank you for your kindness. :kiss2:

It's funny how it works out with those intended RHRs, eh? :lol:

tand*m

Shiny_Rock
This is mine: a blue 5+ carat sapphire in a platinum ring. The center stone is flanked by a diamond baguette on each side.

Can you post a photo of your stone OP?

IMG_3991.JPG IMG_3992.JPG IMG_3993.JPG

@Acinom your ring is such an inspiration. Completely perfection in every way! I love the center stone standing out on its own-- let's be real though, it would stand out in any setting. :dance:

I will post a picture of mine when I am home in a few hours but it changes colors from purple to a lighter cornflowery blue. At some angles it is pretty silky/glowy and then in other light it throws off a ton of sparkles. Originally I was thinking about a setting with metalwork that really stands out, but because of the darker and less vivid color I don't know if it needs a little help.

tand*m

Shiny_Rock
HI:

I have three sapphire rings......

(half way down page 2)

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/whence-this-cornflower-blue.23706/page-2#post-325758

(half way down page 3)

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-diamond-cluster-rings.228853/page-3

and a very old Edwardian ring with inky sapphires floating around here somewhere....

cheers--Sharon

Hi Sharon,
what lovely rings you have! The modern trillion design is just stunning. Did you come up with that? And your cluster ring... I could just fall into that pool of blue.

My round is somewhat close to the color of your trillion and now that I've seen your ring, I am wondering if I should start considering mixed metals some more. decisions decisions! :twisted2:

tand*m

Shiny_Rock
I have a blue and a blue color shifter that are both set with a halo.

DSC_2626.JPG DSC_2629.JPG

@Catmom thank you for sharing your beauties! I'm seeing a setting theme here with the halos and split or twisted shank... I am a big fan of a criss cross/twisted shank myself. :love:

The sapphires are beautiful and the settings just work to perfection. What a lovely family.

Do you find that your color changer goes much darker? my lighter shade is somewhat similar to yours, but the purple side (in incandescent light) is quite distinct and almost amethyst-like.

tand*m

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! It was a labor of love and I spent way too much time questioning my design choices, haha. It's very nice to hear someone else appreciate the elements I stressed over so much, thank you for your kindness. :kiss2:

It's funny how it works out with those intended RHRs, eh? :lol:

Well the time definitely was well spent! It is a beautiful heirloom piece. :love:

Honestly we could probably have PSers create jewelry collections for the big houses... there is really so much more variety and range on these boards, compared to what I see in stores! Every time I read a thread about someone's design process I learn a ton about details that I would not have thought about otherwise.

I am just glad that I had David size the ring generously. Now I have to figure out how I wear rings on 2 hands though! I am thinking I will stick with the larger ones on my left, and more bands/stackers on the right. I'd only worn simple bands on my right before so this was an educational experiment. :read:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Sharon,
what lovely rings you have! The modern trillion design is just stunning. Did you come up with that? And your cluster ring... I could just fall into that pool of blue.

My round is somewhat close to the color of your trillion and now that I've seen your ring, I am wondering if I should start considering mixed metals some more. decisions decisions! :twisted2:

I also have a modern, yellow, sapphire ring with demantoids (not posted) created by the bench who designed the blue sapphire/trilion: they too created my yellow sapphire earrings (also not posted on this thread). NONE of those I designed....that would be outside of my abilities! I bought wisely? :))

I mix metals. And sometimes others mix them for me!

cheers--Sharon

tand*m

Shiny_Rock
I also have a modern, yellow, sapphire ring with demantoids (not posted) created by the bench who designed the blue sapphire/trilion: they too created my yellow sapphire earrings (also not posted on this thread). NONE of those I designed....that would be outside of my abilities! I bought wisely? :))

I mix metals. And sometimes others mix them for me!

cheers--Sharon

The yellow sapphire/demantoid set sounds delish as well. And buying wisely is not to be underestimated! :mrgreen:

tand*m

Shiny_Rock
Here are some pics of my cc round (~8.5mm); would love suggestions on whether to halo or not. I lean heavily toward white metals.

Worst case scenario with minimal light
IMG_7421.JPG

Natural light
IMG_7418.JPG

Incandescent
IMG_7420.JPG

Mixed lighting
IMG_7419.JPG

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some pics of my cc round (~8.5mm); would love suggestions on whether to halo or not. I lean heavily toward white metals.

Worst case scenario with minimal light
IMG_7421.JPG

Natural light
IMG_7418.JPG

Incandescent
IMG_7420.JPG

Mixed lighting
IMG_7419.JPG
First, what a great sapphire!! I love the colors! I can imagine it either way, but I keep thinking of two side stones and open sides , because I can imagine it being in a mysterious setting.

tand*m

Shiny_Rock
First, what a great sapphire!! I love the colors! I can imagine it either way, but I keep thinking of two side stones and open sides , because I can imagine it being in a mysterious setting.

Thank you! Yes I love the open sides and sidestone concept. I am somewhat at a loss as to the shape though... maybe baguettes? Small chubby pears? Rounds might be a little too much on my size 5 finger.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Catmom thank you for sharing your beauties! I'm seeing a setting theme here with the halos and split or twisted shank... I am a big fan of a criss cross/twisted shank myself. :love:

The sapphires are beautiful and the settings just work to perfection. What a lovely family.

Do you find that your color changer goes much darker? my lighter shade is somewhat similar to yours, but the purple side (in incandescent light) is quite distinct and almost amethyst-like.

Thank you! My color shifter sounds just like yours. In incandescent light it goes very purple. I've tried a million times to get a picture of it when it is very purple. I see it but in photos it just looks blue.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you! Yes I love the open sides and sidestone concept. I am somewhat at a loss as to the shape though... maybe baguettes? Small chubby pears? Rounds might be a little too much on my size 5 finger.
Crescent half moons!

leahallegra

Rough_Rock
My sapphire in its original and current setting, although its going in another setting since the one its in right now is too large for my tastes =)2
IMG_2574.JPG IMG_2572.JPG
IMG_3182.JPG IMG_3180.JPG IMG_3181.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results