shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your antique and antique inspired settings/rings please

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am all over the place with what I am looking for in a setting for my OEC.

First I wanted a simple 8 prong platinum antique solitaire setting and then I am drooling over the most intricate platinum non soli setting. My problem is I like many different settings.

The only thing I know for sure is I don't know what I really want re the setting obviously. I am of the school of thought that there is definitely more than one setting out there for my OEC that would be beautiful. But I have yet to find the right one. Ideally I want true vintage but realize that might not happen with the size of my OEC.

I would love it if you could share your antique or antique inspired settings/rings and to see any inspiration photos you have saved. I have poured through the antique setting thread so am familiar with all the gorgeous rings in there.

Care to share and help me make up my mind?
taverymuch.gif

calvinknowledgeisparalyzing.gif

Stll3

Rough_Rock
B26D11A7-E011-4E7E-B76E-066D29AEC7AD.jpeg 978D5F1B-03CB-4E81-8EA7-2B7F7E70F291.jpeg Just got my transitional diamond set in a 6 prong solitaire (yellow gold with plat head) and I am so in love. I wanted simple to let the diamond do the talking. Photos of the engagement ring and the original ring it came from, now set with a chrysoberyl as I couldn’t just discarded it, it’s too pretty. I appreciate my solitaire isn’t antique or really antique inspired but thought you might benefit from seeing an old stone in a simple solitaire.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Stll3 thank you, it's gorgeous! Love a simple elegant solitaire. Timeless beauty.:kiss2:

Stll3

Rough_Rock
No probs! Let us know what you decide. I’ve become a little obsessed with old diamonds :)

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Missy, I’m in the same boat! Mine is only 6mm but I’m struggling to find an antique setting that doesn’t look like an engagement ring... I’ve given myself a New Year’s Eve deadline to find something or else it will have to just get a milgrain bezel DBTY solitaire until the right setting comes along. Can’t stand having it sit unworn!

Dust in finding the perfect one, I can wait to see what everyone shares!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No probs! Let us know what you decide. I’ve become a little obsessed with old diamonds :)

Hahaha me too. Obsessed but only in the best possible way lol.
I am back and forth on what I want.

Making myself dizzy.
But then again that isn't hard to do. I should have been born blonde (no offense to any blondes lol..)

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favorite setting of all time. I wouldn't do an airline with it though, and I'd have Victor Canera make it. And your stone would be unbelievable in it. Do it. Let me live through you. :lol:

IMG_6267.PNG

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, I’m in the same boat! Mine is only 6mm but I’m struggling to find an antique setting that doesn’t look like an engagement ring... I’ve given myself a New Year’s Eve deadline to find something or else it will have to just get a milgrain bezel DBTY solitaire until the right setting comes along. Can’t stand having it sit unworn!

Dust in finding the perfect one, I can wait to see what everyone shares!

Aww thank you @InsecureSweetGirl and sending you lots of dust too to find the perfect setting for your stone! It's super hard. That's sort of why I want the right true vintage setting to just fall into my lap. It would be easier for me. Custom offers a dizzying array of choices.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favorite setting of all time. I wouldn't do an airline with it though, and I'd have Victor Canera make it. And your stone would be unbelievable in it. Do it. Let me live through you. :lol:

IMG_6267.PNG

Haha it is gorgeous! And VC is an amazing artist that is true!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Better pic?

img-thing.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i don't have any useful input other than why not a setting wardrobe à la @nala ? :lol-2:

can't wait to see what you choose!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh I love this setting...details? I probably should recognize the ring right. LOVE this setting.

I don't. It was an inspiration ring I sent Caysie. This could be a side view? Or another setting I liked.

unnamed-4.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't. It was an inspiration ring I sent Caysie. This could be a side view? Or another setting I liked.

unnamed-4.jpg

Gah! :love: See I like them all. This is gorgeous. Perfect side view.:kiss2:

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I assume you decided to pass on the setting Grace had at the NY show? It was a beautiful setting but I understand maybe not quite your style. Good luck, I’m sure you will find something to make your heart sing, and in the meantime what you have now is so beautiful!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, I don't know if you want to spring for it, but the Margot by Erika Winters is like my favorite solitaire setting ever besides Caysie's revamped Olivia.

Caysie's olivia:

IMG_20180620_114506__13937.1529680738.450.450.jpg

EW Margot:

screen_shot_2016-05-05_at_0.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, I don't know if you want to spring for it, but the Margot by Erika Winters is like my favorite solitaire setting ever besides Caysie's revamped Olivia.

Caysie's olivia:

IMG_20180620_114506__13937.1529680738.450.450.jpg

EW Margot:

screen_shot_2016-05-05_at_0.png

Yes this is one of the top contenders if I don't find a true vintage setting. Erika Winters Margot or even the Grace in an 8 prong. I love them both and her work is impeccable. I also love Caysie's work too and the Olivia is right up there as is the Dahlia.

Both women are such talented designers.:love:

This is a tougher decision than finding my HG OEC because at least I realized (lol though it took me a while) that this was the OEC for me. The setting is proving much more challenging.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I assume you decided to pass on the setting Grace had at the NY show? It was a beautiful setting but I understand maybe not quite your style. Good luck, I’m sure you will find something to make your heart sing, and in the meantime what you have now is so beautiful!

Thanks @Bonfire, yes, I didn't feel that antique setting was "me" despite appreciating it for what it is and it is a gorgeous piece of work. As for the setting right now yes I am enjoying it but it just isn't my forever setting. It's not true to the age of the stone and it is too "much" for lack of a better description for my aesthetic. I enjoy and appreciate it and I love the femininity of it very much but ultimately it isn't going to be my forever setting.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hahaha me too. Obsessed but only in the best possible way lol.
I am back and forth on what I want.

Making myself dizzy.
But then again that isn't hard to do. I should have been born blonde (no offense to any blondes lol..)
:twisted2: HAHAHA!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@missy There are 97 pins on Pinterest of OEC rings.. Just put in 97 best OEC settings..You should see the one that says 97 pins..Hopefully you can find something there to give you an idea.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy There are 97 pins on Pinterest of OEC rings.. Just put in 97 best OEC settings..You should see the one that says 97 pins..Hopefully you can find something there to give you an idea.

Thank you @Mamabean, I am off to check that out!

Missy I know you are an 8 prong soli gal, but I had to post this ring. It’s from Hancocks of London. :love:
2569427E-ED89-43A8-BBFF-97EB8FF8A119.jpeg
A15E32E3-1DBE-49E4-B877-F800A129E9DE.jpeg

Love this setting @Bonfire! I have a lot of thinking to do because there are so many gorgeous settings and I can't seem to pick just one...paralyzed with indecision here. I really love this setting though I would change it to all platinum. It is delicious.:kiss2:

32B808C5-40D1-44B2-AB4B-451FE551A3C1.jpeg

This one is similar to the second one that @soxfan posted, but it has a tri-wire shank.

I followed your journey and love the diamond you chose. Also love the setting you chose. Thank you for chiming in and I appreciate any/all thoughts. I know you know this is a challenging journey. Who thought the setting would be so difficult especially for me because I *thought* I knew exactly what I wanted. Turns out nope I don't.:oops2:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This one gets my vote. What a beautiful setting! And your diamond would look glorious and very appropriate set this way.

Speaking as PS's resident 'Major Setting Fail That Turned Into A Diamond Fail Also' - I know how hard this is! I really hope you have fun with it, rather than just letting it fry your brain (like I did). I think I ended up down the wrong path because it all got so confusing and overwhelming - I ended up saying "Just set the damn thing! I don't care any more!" This, obviously, was the wrong way forward. I know you're taking your time - and I think that's really smart. Whenever you feel the pressure start to build, my best advice would be to step away from it till your mental processes clear.

But having said all of that - I love the above setting! I can totally see it with your aesthetic and think your beautiful diamond would look perfect in it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one gets my vote. What a beautiful setting! And your diamond would look glorious and very appropriate set this way.

Speaking as PS's resident 'Major Setting Fail That Turned Into A Diamond Fail Also' - I know how hard this is! I really hope you have fun with it, rather than just letting it fry your brain (like I did). I think I ended up down the wrong path because it all got so confusing and overwhelming - I ended up saying "Just set the damn thing! I don't care any more!" This, obviously, was the wrong way forward. I know you're taking your time - and I think that's really smart. Whenever you feel the pressure start to build, my best advice would be to step away from it till your mental processes clear.

But having said all of that - I love the above setting! I can totally see it with your aesthetic and think your beautiful diamond would look perfect in it.

Thank you @mrs-b! Yes I have been on the verge of saying exactly that "set the damn thing I don't care anymore" lol. I will remember your wise words though and resist that urge. I am trying to be patient but I feel like it will never get reset unless the perfect antique setting falls into my lap. Easy peasy and no custom involved. I do not do well with custom so am loathe to do it again.

I don't know where the above setting is from however...I love it too.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AV_ beautiful setting and thanks for the link...for some reason I cannot quote your post..PS is acting up or my computer is misbehaving. I love the setting but it's not for Bubbalah. I do appreciate the beauty of it however for someone else. Gorgeous.

Thank you for the IG link @AV_ ...I am going to follow them now!

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
(the post vanished on my side too - it was this WWW)

I was wondering if your wished the next ring to be smaller or not.

Hancocks is one dangerous dungeon!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results