shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I reset my 3.04 studs?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I purchased 3.04 diamond studs this year through Blue Nile..I picked the diamonds..GIA certified..myself and had them set in their standard platinum basket setting..I was not happy with how thin the posts were and that it had the La Pousette backing. I had trouble with them bending at the notches at the end because I had trouble getting them off...I had to bend them back myself which was a bit concerning..I also have a pair of white 14k white gold diamond studs..smaller in size but I never have trouble with them because they are sturdier and have the larger butterfly push backs. My issue now is that the backs of the larger studs are sliding past the notch and not catching. I called Blue Nile and they said that I should send them to them and they will review the posts and see what the trouble is. I think it’s that the post is so thin..which is their standard setting. I’m not sure what they can do about the posts..I’m wondering if a jeweler can just make the posts thicker? I’m really thinking of just having them reset..but into what? I would like them to nestle into my ear a little better as the basket makes them protrude. Maybe I should get a martini setting? Are they always three prongs? I don’t know if three prongs would be secure enough for the size of the earrings..I appreciate any ideas.:(2

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had 3 prong martini studs and loved them, although they were MUCH smaller than yours (1.10ctw) and they were super secure. I just had Daniel M set a pair of gemstones into 4 prong martini studs for me, as I love the way martini studs sit on the ear, but I wanted the extra security of 4 prongs. Again, they're much smaller than yours (5mm each) so I just have standard butterfly backs, but I'm sure you could put La Pousette backs on them. I hope that helps!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've had 3 prong martini studs and loved them, although they were MUCH smaller than yours (1.10ctw) and they were super secure. I just had Daniel M set a pair of gemstones into 4 prong martini studs for me, as I love the way martini studs sit on the ear, but I wanted the extra security of 4 prongs. Again, they're much smaller than yours (5mm each) so I just have standard butterfly backs, but I'm sure you could put La Pousette backs on them. I hope that helps!
Thank you Dandi..The La Pousette backs are working now. I think the spring inside got stuck. I use the plastic disk first and then the LP back..They feel really secure that way.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Mamabean - I have diamond studs that are same size as yours. I have the La Pousette backs and love them. Mine are 4 prong white 14k gold. But I get what you are saying about these backs and a thin post. My thought - maybe go to your local jeweler and have them bring in a couple of different settings for your diamonds. So you can actually see before you choose. I’d investigate switching if my posts were too thin and I didn’t like the backs. Just my two cents.
CAF

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I just had a similar conversation about posts and backings with a client who commissioned some custom baskets for her studs. The LP backs require a pretty thin post, and for larger earrings they can be problematic for some people. Plus the mechanism inside is steel, and they can rust and break. I like the heavy friction backs I have for my studs (they are not solitaires but they are 8mm bezel set studs), and those come with a nice sized post, I feel. Plus my earrings are metal heavy, so they are weighty, and they don't droop, which was a concern. I would want my diamond studs as secure as possible, personally.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mamabean - I have diamond studs that are same size as yours. I have the La Pousette backs and love them. Mine are 4 prong white 14k gold. But I get what you are saying about these backs and a thin post. My thought - maybe go to your local jeweler and have them bring in a couple of different settings for your diamonds. So you can actually see before you choose. I’d investigate switching if my posts were too thin and I didn’t like the backs. Just my two cents.
CAF
Thank you..They’re okay for now but I’m wondering if they make the LP posts in different thicknesses..If they do I’ll definitely do it at some point. My other studs are 14k white gold and they’re sturdy like iron. The 3.04 studs are set in platinum..which makes me think they’re softer..

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just had a similar conversation about posts and backings with a client who commissioned some custom baskets for her studs. The LP backs require a pretty thin post, and for larger earrings they can be problematic for some people. Plus the mechanism inside is steel, and they can rust and break. I like the heavy friction backs I have for my studs (they are not solitaires but they are 8mm bezel set studs), and those come with a nice sized post, I feel. Plus my earrings are metal heavy, so they are weighty, and they don't droop, which was a concern. I would want my diamond studs as secure as possible, personally.
Yes..I’m thinking of changing them at some point..

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results