shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I get a GIA report before setting?

prinsad

Shiny_Rock
Premium
B5F04CC8-7E00-4D80-A485-359C3021AF36.jpeg 8370458A-621B-4D93-A078-94F704AA2188.jpeg
So I bought a beautiful OEC off eBay that was appraised as M VVS2. I had it weighed at my jeweler after it was removed from the setting and it is 1.23cts. I am just wondering if I should send it to GIA before getting it set? I can see myself upgrading in the future when I go back to work and have more money to play with and I’m probably going to be giving birth in the next few weeks so I’m not going to set it for a little while. I’m enjoying looking at PS user settings in the meantime. Just looking for some advice. I’ve tried to search for other threads on the topic and have not been able to get a solid answer, maybe there isn’t one. I did look at the fee schedule on the website and it doesn’t seem too ridiculous. But if I send it I will probably have a vendor do it for me so I will probably pay extra for that. Just not sure at this point.

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
I would send to GIA first. The fees are not too bad, and it’s helpful if you decide to insure or you want to sell in the future.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I would send it directly. In fact I sent my avatar stone, it was a smooth process. Congrats on a lovely OEC!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty OEC; nice find! I would suggest sending it now for grading while you are not immediately planning to set it so that it’s done when you are ready.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got my OEC certified. 1) I was curious and, 2) I wanted the stats if I ever sell it.

prinsad

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I would send it directly. In fact I sent my avatar stone, it was a smooth process. Congrats on a lovely OEC!

Thanks! I’m a bit intimidated about sending it. I’m glad it went smoothly for you. Gives me a little more confidence.

That's a nice looking OEC.
Pretty OEC; nice find! I would suggest sending it now for grading while you are not immediately planning to set it so that it’s done when you are ready.

Thank you! Although I cannot take credit for the find. @Niel found it. It was a risk because the eBay pictures were terrible but the faceting is just gorgeous. Hopefully when I set it I can take some better pictures. My sister ended up falling in love with the setting it came with so I got my diamond removed and gave it to her.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@prinsad That works out well then. Yea, I wouldn’t worry about sending it at all. It’d be good to have if you ever decide to sell it, and they are pretty quick these days, I hear/read, so it should be just fine. :wavey:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty stone!
Would love to see more pics maybe even the old mounting too? Always good to see!
If you arent just plain curious about what GIA would grade it, or don’t have insurance concerns, or stability/authenticity concerns - I wouldn’t send it.
If the only reason to send it for purposes if you might sell it one day down the road, and understandable after the other thread, I’d wait until you were ready to list.
An old(er) GIA report wouldn’t have made any difference in that other scenario.

prinsad

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Pretty stone!
Would love to see more pics maybe even the old mounting too? Always good to see!
If you arent just plain curious about what GIA would grade it, or don’t have insurance concerns, or stability/authenticity concerns - I wouldn’t send it.
If the only reason to send it for purposes if you might sell it one day down the road, and understandable after the other thread, I’d wait until you were ready to list.
An old(er) GIA report wouldn’t have made any difference in that other scenario.

Thank you! I thought it would be most convienent now as it is loose and not set. I’ll definitely add more pictures, unfortunately I wasn’t thinking and bought a yellow phone and all my pictures are reflecting yellow :(2. If/when I upgrade I would definitely get an appraisal right before. ;)2 From the appraisal that came with it I’m wondering if the girdle is a little thin and fragile and I should do a bezel or something. I guess we will see!
0C11F084-9041-40CB-9529-4431D4229570.jpeg 8CAEA6BF-AE99-4750-871D-6F22C943AAF2.jpeg F65C585A-9E78-4445-BB01-339E99443FA3.jpeg 503C2A71-840A-490B-8E67-E3B28707CA5B.jpeg E3494FD1-C42B-4889-A68C-3F0A53E980F3.jpeg

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would probably send it in.

Superficially, the only real benefit is to provide important information if you're buying or selling. It affects the price. In you're case that doesn't really doesn't do much for you very directly although it will also be beneficial when you come around to setting it. It documents current condition. Given that your plan is to sell it in the future, you'll want it THEN. It requires sending it in unmounted and it takes a couple of weeks to do this. It's likely you'll never again have as easy a time to do that than right now. As mentioned above, it's not all that expensive and the time isn't a problem for you at the moment. There's not much of a downside.

prinsad

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Superficially, the only real benefit is to provide important information if you're buying or selling. It affects the price. In you're case that doesn't really doesn't do much for you very directly although it will also be beneficial when you come around to setting it. It documents current condition. Given that your plan is to sell it in the future, you'll want it THEN. It requires sending it in unmounted and it takes a couple of weeks to do this. It's likely you'll never again have as easy a time to do that than right now. As mentioned above, it's not all that expensive and the time isn't a problem for you at the moment. There's not much of a downside.

Thank you so much for your explanation. I’m definitely going to send it in now. I’m very curious about the GIA stats and I heard they are more strict so I’m going to hope for a N VS1. I won’t be too disapointed if it is something else because it is pretty. Hopefully I can figure out how to pay and get everything sent correctly!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dang. It is very pretty! Good score.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Very nice facet patterning. Id imagine it has a lovely ASET

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I see you have a decision, but wanted to say that I faced a similar decision when I first bought my large solitaire. I decided in the end not to get the lab report at that time. But now I am resetting my diamond and plan to send it to GIA before it is set into the new mount. I am curious, but also, I think the paperwork is useful for a bunch of reasons: insurance replacement; matching color with other diamonds if desired; reselling; and as I said, just personal interest. So its worth it in my mind.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Another reason I wanted a GIA inspection is so that if I tried to have the stone matched, either to make earrings or a Toi et Moi ring in the future, I could narrow my search to those particular specs (with appropriate wiggle room on either side of the color grade and size, etc) and make things much easier for the search. Later, when I’m in a position to insure my things, it will also help me establish replacement value. Good luck and do share the grade that comes back! We’re all pulling for you!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous OEC @prinsad :love:
Yes I definitely agree getting a GIA report is worth it. For all the above reasons.
Insurance, replacement, curiosity and peace of mind.
Good luck!

prinsad

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Dang. It is very pretty! Good score.
Very nice facet patterning. Id imagine it has a lovely ASET
Gorgeous OEC @prinsad :love:
Yes I definitely agree getting a GIA report is worth it. For all the above reasons.
Insurance, replacement, curiosity and peace of mind.
Good luck!

Thank you so much! I wish I had one of those ASET tools to look at it! It’s so much prettier than my photos I swear!

I see you have a decision, but wanted to say that I faced a similar decision when I first bought my large solitaire. I decided in the end not to get the lab report at that time. But now I am resetting my diamond and plan to send it to GIA before it is set into the new mount. I am curious, but also, I think the paperwork is useful for a bunch of reasons: insurance replacement; matching color with other diamonds if desired; reselling; and as I said, just personal interest. So its worth it in my mind.
Another reason I wanted a GIA inspection is so that if I tried to have the stone matched, either to make earrings or a Toi et Moi ring in the future, I could narrow my search to those particular specs (with appropriate wiggle room on either side of the color grade and size, etc) and make things much easier for the search. Later, when I’m in a position to insure my things, it will also help me establish replacement value. Good luck and do share the grade that comes back! We’re all pulling for you!

All these things really solidify that I am making the right decision! I will definitely update with the report when I recieve it!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty! Also- I love the ring in your avatar - wanna tell me about it?

prinsad

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Pretty! Also- I love the ring in your avatar - wanna tell me about it?

Haha that’s a 7mm OEC moissy in a Stuller setting that I got for a ridiculous deal from SinCityFinds. It’s my stand in ring while I wait for this stone to be set, and I will wear it to travel. It’s super gorgeous in real life as well. I really love it, but I’m glad I tried out a setting like this with a moissy. I thought it was a dream setting, but now I know I would like something different for this stone.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha that’s a 7mm OEC moissy in a Stuller setting that I got for a ridiculous deal from SinCityFinds. It’s my stand in ring while I wait for this stone to be set, and I will wear it to travel. It’s super gorgeous in real life as well. I really love it, but I’m glad I tried out a setting like this with a moissy. I thought it was a dream setting, but now I know I would like something different for this stone.
How are you going to set the new stone? :)

prinsad

Shiny_Rock
Premium
How are you going to set the new stone? :)

I’m not sure! I’ve been stalking the SMTB forum and instagram for ideas! I’m definitely going to do a solitaire this time, but not sure exactly what design! There are so many options. Niel has been sending me some used settings for sale as well but nothing has really captured me yet.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not sure! I’ve been stalking the SMTB forum and instagram for ideas! I’m definitely going to do a solitaire this time, but not sure exactly what design! There are so many options. Niel has been sending me some used settings for sale as well but nothing has really captured me yet.
Can't wait to see what you do!

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wish that I had sent my pear to GIA prior to setting. It has an EGL, which is not considered reliable. Unfortunately I bezel set my diamond and the setting will be destroyed if I chose to send it to GIA.:(2

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Prinsad asked for advice and got a LOT of good advice. It is one of the things that I love about Pricescope, the camaraderie and willingness to share.

Wink

Mauicat

Rough_Rock

denverappraiser how do I contact you, need your help

Mauicat

Rough_Rock
denverappraiser how do I contact you? Need your help

Mauicat

Rough_Rock
Thank you! Maybe you can help also? Have a very unique piece of jewelry I am having difficulty getting appraised

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! Maybe you can help also? Have a very unique piece of jewelry I am having difficulty getting appraised

I am not an appraiser so your best bet is to get in touch with Niel or @oldminer (David Atlas) for assistance with an appraisal. But if you want to start your own thread with pics & details of your item and your questions, perhaps memebers of the forum can give you their thoughts.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results