shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I buy a chipped tanzanite?

musing

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone. Looking for a bit of advice as I've been a long time enthusiast of gems but I've never felt the need to set them into jewellery until recently. I have also been in the market for the "perfect" tanzanite for a long time.

Anyway, I recently spotted a biggish, loose trilliant cut tanzanite that has a unfortunately a large chip on one of the points. It's price has been reduced to reflect the damage (~$300). Although it's not quite the colour I was looking for, I can't help but think that I should purchase it and set it in a jewellery piece (probably a pendant) in such a way that it covers the point. From a monetary POV, purchasing this gem would be very economical, but I will admit, I was looking for a more vivid colour.

The question is, would be re-cutting it to a smaller gem then setting it be more advisable? Or just set it as is, cleverly? I understand that the gem crystal structure is already compromised and this would be a piece of jewellery I would be wearing most days of the week.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! :)

20190213_201151.jpg 20190213_201209.jpg 20190213_201221.jpg

musing

Rough_Rock
Also should I buy it, with the above intention in mind?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, the cutting fee and weight loss will be more than the $300 discount.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm think you can do better too. Looks very dull and grey to me.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d pass.
Tanzanite is a brittle gem, it does chip. It’s tricky to set (requires extra care) and I can’t help but wonder with that chip there at the tip that it’s not the result of a previous “failed attempt” to set.
I’m not sure how easy setting (probably not) a damaged Tanzanite is but I imagine the areas near the chip will be weakened by the lack of crystal continuity and therefore the chip may spread.
To prong set or bezel set, the metal claw or rim must be forcibly pressed down to make contact and secure the gem. With a chip right there at the point, I can’t see this working. I’m sure any jeweller setting this Tanzanite will say “all care will be taken BUT no responsibility for further damage can be accepted”.
Setting any gem is expensive and you may end up not “saving $300” but wasting the entire purchase value of the Tanzanite if the chip worsens and/or your jeweller says “too risky for me to try and set”.

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
No, and the corner there is a bad place for a damage.

musing

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your thoughts. I think I'll leave it behind then. :)

@chrono - Love your signature "Sometimes the mind ignores what is logical because the person cannot accept the reality of what it is." This is why I consult with others

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No from me too. You don’t love the color, you don’t love the chip, and if you are only focused on price, you will regret it in the long run.

Deathspi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Your’ tanzanite will be a no-brainier. You won’t feel the need to get advice, IMO anyway. :) Good Lück with your continued search!

musing

Rough_Rock
Your’ tanzanite will be a no-brainier. You won’t feel the need to get advice, IMO anyway. :) Good Lück with your continued search!

Hehe... Thanks. In hindsight, I think I just needed reassurance more than anything else from people with far more experience than me when it comes to setting things into jewellery. =)2

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@musing You might start a new thread called Looking for Tanzanite. If you’ll say what your budget is, and the shape and color you’re looking for, I think some of the sleuths here will help you find a good deal. Best of luck to you!

musing

Rough_Rock
@musing You might start a new thread called Looking for Tanzanite. If you’ll say what your budget is, and the shape and color you’re looking for, I think some of the sleuths here will help you find a good deal. Best of luck to you!

@MissBeaucoup - That's a super idea! Think I might do just that. Thank you! =)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results