shape
carat
color
clarity

Shocked at a difference of 1.4mm and now I am having a hard time deciding...

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have been working on a pair of sapphire and diamond cluster style earrings. I was able to find a pair of 5.5mm sapphires that I liked, and I was going to have 2.3-2.5mm diamond cluster. But my gut feeling is I wanted just a little bigger sapphire, so I requested maybe 6mm, but my jeweler found these 6.9mm pair which are sooo much bigger than what I imagined for. 1.4mm difference!

Only problem, doubles my budget! Part of me really feels like since a big portion of the original budget was in the setting/labor cost, that maybe it makes sense to get these bigger stones? A slight worry would be the bigger stone might make the earrings too formal/fancy? Thoughts?? Opinions?? Just can’t get over how much bigger the 1.4mm makes. Also somewhat bummed that the bigger stone is much nicer color... color stones are so hard to choose!
BE2BF674-6576-49DC-967E-9BE38B049D2E.jpeg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
88B463A2-A954-4C16-A02E-E2094AC859A2.jpeg My advice, don’t accept what you don’t love. It will only be a short time before you start with the “i should have.....”.
Also, the sapphires will “darken” once set, so the smaller sapphires will be even darker which may be disappointing.
I would go with the bigger size, I have two 9mm sapphires which I’m considering haloing as well, and I don’t think they’ll be too big!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you showing the 5.5 and 6.9mm stones? I don't think those numbers are correct. The bigger stone "should" only have 57% more surface area and the difference to my eye looks way bigger. Also, a 1.5mm difference would only be 1/4 of the diameter of the smaller stone and it looks like a much bigger difference in diameter than that to my eye.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Bigger ones, hands down!

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I strongly prefer the larger ones. If your budget can swing it, I'd get those. But if you can't, then I agree with Bron and keep looking. It's true that "should haves" set in quickly! Don't buy what you don't love. :)

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The color of the bigger ones is definitely brighter. I would say even if you choose to go with the smaller size, try for the brighter blue...

Also second the sentiment that if you dont love the color/size dont get it least the what ifs set in!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you probably knew most of our answers before you asked but bigger one for me too.:love:
Get what you want the first time or you will be spending more money over time and not wearing those second more "affordable" choices. "Penny wise dollar foolish" keep that in mind. Get what you want if you can afford it or don't buy right now until you can afford to get the size and color you desire.

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
94E3EBE2-6C71-473A-8047-6518CCB524D3.jpeg D3842537-2075-4D0D-A11C-4BCE87E760ED.jpeg
Went to see the stones in person today, had to stop in a B&M and try some goodies since it’s on the way to my jeweler. The larger sapphire is about the size of the 6.9mm stone that is very tempting, the oval is the style that I would want my dangles....

So helpful to see the stones in person, I was relieved to see that the stones (both sets) my jewelers showed me looked much better than the ones I tried at the store. But, I still can’t decide! He was able to source a pair with better color, but I really think I will regret if I don’t go for the bigger size...

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and for letting me share this first world problem!

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The earrings are really pretty, think they’ll look fantastic with the bigger sapphires!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
94E3EBE2-6C71-473A-8047-6518CCB524D3.jpeg D3842537-2075-4D0D-A11C-4BCE87E760ED.jpeg
Went to see the stones in person today, had to stop in a B&M and try some goodies since it’s on the way to my jeweler. The larger sapphire is about the size of the 6.9mm stone that is very tempting, the oval is the style that I would want my dangles....

So helpful to see the stones in person, I was relieved to see that the stones (both sets) my jewelers showed me looked much better than the ones I tried at the store. But, I still can’t decide! He was able to source a pair with better color, but I really think I will regret if I don’t go for the bigger size...

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and for letting me share this first world problem!

This size looks fantastic on you:love: LOVE these earrings too. Romantic and has an old world charm feel to it.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Go for the bigger size if you can afford! I don’t know the price difference, but the color is also much better.

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Go for the bigger size if you can afford! I don’t know the price difference, but the color is also much better.
Well the 6.9mm pair is more than 3x the smaller pair! My jeweler was able to find another pair of similar color to the 6.9mm, but about the same size as the small pair that’s 1/2 the price of the 6.9mm pair. A tough decision to make but I am going for the bigger pair! I was hoping to be able to have another project squeezed in this year, but will have to be patient and wait.

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
3927A1B9-43A5-4E8C-8896-5B043AEA4A27.jpeg E7DB4BD7-9006-41EB-B76B-AC6558DB52A0.jpeg
The earrings are here! I am beyond thrilled! I think I can wear these everyday! Thanks for letting me share my best attempt at glamour shots with my iPhone. These are taking in my very well lit living room, with skylights above and a big slider on the right for those of you who are great at interpreting colors from photos. My walls are very neutral white.I am terrible at it and have to see them in person.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OMG!! Stunning! :love: So elegant! They look so modern but on the other hand they look like vintage inspired pieces!
Please, post some earshots!

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
6AD16980-1E0B-4EA5-9DA2-052EA8C37006.jpeg 77264D5E-C2A2-4635-8AE2-B5B230ECD582.jpeg
OMG!! Stunning! :love: So elegant! They look so modern but on the other hand they look like vintage inspired pieces!
Please, post some earshots!
thank you! They are definitely vintage inspired but I also wanted something simpler and wearable! Ear shots are so hard, I have these but will try to get my husband to take some later.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They look beautiful I love them!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
WOWOW those are STUNNING! I'm glad you went with the bigger pair--they really pop and will be an heirloom. I sometimes make 'penny-wise/pound poor' choices and take a cheaper option that I wind up having to replace later. I think these earrings will keep you satisfied for the long run!!

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
DBCBF8DD-C88C-4DFD-8BCB-23AAB43000E9.jpeg
WOWOW those are STUNNING! I'm glad you went with the bigger pair--they really pop and will be an heirloom. I sometimes make 'penny-wise/pound poor' choices and take a cheaper option that I wind up having to replace later. I think these earrings will keep you satisfied for the long run!!
thank you! And thankful for all the wise advice here.
I am constantly trying to look into mirrors. Maybe I need a ring so I can see it all the time...

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am constantly trying to look into mirrors. Maybe I need a ring so I can see it all the time...

Yes you do! Go for it! :)

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The earrings look beautiful on you! What a lovely result!

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

And if you have a matching set of earrings and ring what do you wear them on your neck?:lol:

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This turned out beautifully! I think you definitely need a matching ring if only for easier viewing!

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This turned out beautifully! I think you definitely need a matching ring if only for easier viewing!
haha I am tapped out for a while... I am looking forward to see your earrings, when do they come? We can be earring twins!

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
haha I am tapped out for a while... I am looking forward to see your earrings, when do they come? We can be earring twins!

Thanks! Hopefully they’ll be done by the end of the months. Mine will be a baby version of yours though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results