shape
carat
color
clarity

Shipping a loose stone

cherij0411

Shiny_Rock
I am purchasing a loose stone from Whiteflash and will be shipping to Maytal Hannah for the setting but now I am getting nervous at the thought of it. What carrier do you recommend using?

Thanks

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
I am purchasing a loose stone from Whiteflash and will be shipping to Maytal Hannah for the setting but now I am getting nervous at the thought of it. What carrier do you recommend using?

Thanks

I believe Whiteflash uses FedEx

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
If you will be shipping registered mail is the best way as you can insure it properly and it will be under lock and key the entire way. Slightly slower but very secure.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If whiteflash is shipping it, let them decide who they use.

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
If you don't need to see the diamond, just have WF send it direct to the designer. Or if you want to see it, ask Maytal to send you a pre-paid label.

Last edited:

ice empress

Shiny_Rock
Whiteflash should be able to ship it for you to a third party (e.g. Maytal Hannah) and they use Fedex insured shipping.

david b

Shiny_Rock
Trade
The best way to ship a loose diamond is to a residential address-not to a Jewelry shop with any currier.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
FedEx and UPS have seriously low insurance limits. Regular shippers of expensive things, like jewelers, can get 3rd party insurance that brings the limits up but for people who don't do this often, USPS registered mail is the customary way to get appropriate insurance values. If WF is the shipper, let them choose, and they'll probably choose FedEx. If you will be the shipper, use USPS registered mail.

cherij0411

Shiny_Rock
I do want to see it first, I know Wf is using Fed-Ex I am just wondering who I should use when shipping to Maytal

Thanks

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
USPS Registered Mail, and under no circumstances should you disclose what is in the package. You just have to tell them the insurance amount. You can ask Maytal if you could pay her for shipping using her shipping label (which would include insurance). That would be better as you wouldn't have to disclose the value at the Post Office.

DorotheaBrooke

Brilliant_Rock
You probably already worked this out, but I'll add that I sent Maytal a loose diamond a few years ago with no problem. Per her recommendation (and as diamondseeker said) I used USPS Registered Mail for the insurance amount and security. Two-day service from Chicago. Good luck with your project!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Registered mail, full replacement value insurance. Don’t believe the post office clerk when they say “You should use Certified Mail and disclose the contents” - if that happens, grab your package and take it to a different post office.

cherij0411

Shiny_Rock
Registered mail, full replacement value insurance. Don’t believe the post office clerk when they say “You should use Certified Mail and disclose the contents” - if that happens, grab your package and take it to a different post office.
The max insurance they offer is 25k and my stone is worth $26125

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
From a US address to a US address I'm pretty sure the USPS Registered mail insurance limit is $50,000. If that's not enough, you have a few options.

1) Your jeweler may have a program with an insurer that allows them to put on higher limits. Many jewelers do, even on inbound shipments. For example, my insurance does this. Ask.

2) You can insure for less than the full value. You may already have insurance and not know it through your homeowners.

3) Depending on where you live, you can use an armored courier service like Brinks and Malca Amit. They don't go quite everywhere, but they do go most places. Their limits are quite high.
https://www.malca-amit.com/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results