shape
carat
color
clarity

Share A Song That makes You Yearn (or Long) For Something!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We recently had a thread about songs that made us happy. I have favorite songs that do not make me happy, but that I love. Many of the songs I grew up with are wistful and longing. Probably my love for folk music contributes to that and also the era in which I grew up: one that made singers like The Mamas and The Papas; Donovan; and Simon and Garfunkle popular. This is one of my all time favorite songs, "Baker Street" by Gerry Rafferty. Although I was already married when it came out, it reminded me of a few years back before that when I was like the woman about whom the man sings. I always had a crush on some hippie guy who wanted to hitchhike around the country and who was doing community organizing, but happened to live in Atlanta and ran into me at a conference in Boston. He wanted to own some land some day....

Deb :))
PS-Consider the "m" in the title of this thread capitalized. I cannot edit it.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is another song that I think is truly amazing and in the same genre. I posted it in the thread about songs that make me happy, but it really belongs much more in this thread. It is, "Rikki, Don't Lose That Number" by Steely Dan from 1974.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This was a little different when Mary Chapin Carpenter did it. I always loved it. It is called, "Down in Mary's Land". It is almost religious.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder what this song makes me yearn for?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder what this song makes me yearn for?

Do not get me started, PB! That is an adorable song. I had never heard it before. But it reminded me of cheesecake, too, and I am right now trying to take off some weight I recently put on mainly by eating: cheesecake and vanilla bean ice cream. I need to eat them together. And I prefer it if I get cherry cheesecake. So the weight goes on fast. :)) I think I am off topic!

Deb :wavey:

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
“Autumn In New York”, sung by Mr. Sinatra

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Under the Boardwalk. Makes me want to go to the jersey shore! That and the smell of copper tone.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Fire" (not "I'm On Fire") by Bruce Springsteen. It's hot; he's not yearning for cheesecake....

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Fire" (not "I'm On Fire") by Bruce Springsteen. It's hot; he's not yearning for cheesecake....

I just LOL'd like a fool!:lol-2::lol:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Best song, ever.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Anything written by Gordon Lightfoot. Lyrics and music, perfection. While I cannot pick a favorite, the "Circle is small" is really heart rendering. I cannot imagine, that, yearning.

cheers--Sharon

Last edited:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

We must be on the same wavelength Deb, while riding my bike today I thought of Joni Mitchell. Why? (I suppose.....while riding a "paved paradise ((to)) put up a parking lot")

But you asked. So "Carey". is sublime. Sad but happy. Her words and lyrics. Listen to this LOUD.

cheers--Sharon

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We must be on the same wavelength Deb, while riding my bike today I thought of Joni Mitchell. Why? (I suppose.....while riding a "paved paradise ((to)) put up a parking lot")

More than you can imagine, Sharon! Not only do I love Joni Mitchell but I was thinking of that very song just a few days ago! (The "farmer, farmer, put away your DDT now" one you mentioned.) Because a little Jeep used to spray DDT in the woods behind our house when I was a child. It is marshland and there have always been a lot of mosquitoes. My mother (who loved nature) noticed that we lost all the blue birds! So I thought of it because I was thinking of our mosquitoes a few days ago! We get them every summer in our back yard. DDT is (blessedly) banned now.

Deb :wavey:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Anything written by Gordon Lightfoot. Lyrics and music, perfection. While I cannot pick a favorite, the "Circle is small" is really heart rendering. I cannot imagine, that, yearning.

cheers--Sharon

I love every song the man ever wrote!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While my father was still living this song wrenched me to the very core of my being. I was able to imagine what losing him would be like.

"Leader Of The Band" by Dan Fogelberg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Matata-

You really gave me a jolt by putting "The Lovin Spoonful" up there! I had pretty much forgotten about them. What jolted me was that I suddenly remembered that I was crazy about a guy I hardly knew who was back on the East Coast and I was in college for the summer at UC Berkeley. He told me that "Magical Connection" reminded him of us. I couldn't wait for him to come across country to Yosemite (which he was planning to do at the end of the summer) because I was so entranced by that. I had totally forgotten that song! I think it isn't by "The Lovin Spoonful" but by one of the members, John Sebastian but I may be wrong.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha now it's cherry pie!
This brings me back to the 80s and watching star search religiously and rooting for Bobbie Brown as she won week after week after week! Everything was simpler. There were definitely a lot less TV channels to flip through too lol.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tim Buckley "Aren't You The Girl"

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jackson Browne "Somebody's Baby"

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one is huge for me. The other day when my 13 year old thought I had already left the house...I heard him playing it beautifully. Tears sprang to my eyes. There is something about having your children play the music you love..

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"The First Cut is the Deepest" by Cat Stevens (now known as Yusuf Islam)

Reactions: AV_

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is one of my favorite singers and one of the songs I think she does best. It is the "Song of Liberty" from Verdi's opera "Nabucco" sung by Nana Mouskouri. As I am sure many of you know, she sings beautifully in English, Greek, and French. I believe she also sings in German and probably many other languages. I love the French version of this song.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

This song is of yearning, regret and sadness. Makes me thankful for good things. Beautiful soulful voice, I love it. Ode to Billie Joe.

cheers--Sharon

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"The First Cut is the Deepest" by Cat Stevens (now known as Yusuf Islam)

I'm so :oops:. I thought this was a Sheryl crow song. Love his version so much better. His voice good god. If he were 20 years younger.... :whistle:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one is huge for me. The other day when my 13 year old thought I had already left the house...I heard him playing it beautifully. Tears sprang to my eyes. There is something about having your children play the music you love..
Alice In Chains. Some painful shit for me. Musically a painful period. It's hard to wrap your head around all these artists you love in your formative years dying left and right because of heroin. Layne Staley - that voice and good god I just watched "again" and I want to rip his clothes off and run my fingers through his luscious blonde locks.

My fave song by them is Got me Wrong.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results