shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting ideas for an ‘M’ colour, 1.5ct elongated Cushion Cut.

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi, I’d love some ideas, opinions and images to help me with this.

I’ve seen a 1.5ct ‘M’ colour elongated cushion cut diamond that I really like, it’s far from perfect (honestly) but that’s well reflected in the price and I fancy something a bit different. Sorry no photos yet.
My issue is if I get this one how should I set it...play up to its warm ‘faint yellow’ tint or try to minimise it? Go modern or traditional or really quirky? What metals do I use? I like platinum but then again would a warmer metal be a good idea or a mix a better idea.
I’ve read a few threads about M colours on here and I know it probably just comes down to personal preference, but is there a ‘colour theory’ basis to setting yellow diamonds...if it was clothing I’d go with blue or purple etc
What enhances it and what neutralises the M colour?
Do I use to halo it..white E/F diamonds, blue (heated) diamonds...or something very colourful like Pink or Blue Sapphires? I’m trying to think of something a bit unusual but not ugly and it’s for a right hand ring, so not too engagement like. Too many choices..Choices choices!

I’d love any ideas..the tastefully quirkier the better
Thank you.

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
358E8F54-86EA-4629-A247-97EAC77B922A.jpeg 4DF3A84A-7848-426F-92D6-64DCFAF7C98F.jpeg Sorry I don’t know where these images came from beyond ‘googling’ them. I quite like the first design in rose gold, the centre stone, although not a diamond, has a similar colour and shape to the cushion. Would this style work in platinum with teal blue Sapphires or heated blue diamonds as a halo?
The oval only looks a bit like the cushion in colour to give an idea, I don’t think I’d want trilliants for this.
Any images of faint tint diamonds with coloured halos would be a great help. I like to have a bit of a vision for a stone. Thank you.

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like such a fun project! In terms of "color theory" with warm stones, the jury is out. Based on comments here, opinions seem pretty split. Some say that rose and yellow gold provide more contrast and make a warm stone look whiter. Other say that warm stones are better in white metals bc they avoid reflecting color back into the diamond. Personally, I love a warm stone in high karat yellow gold if you want to play up the color. From what I have seen, rose gold tends to make the stones look more white, and white metals wash out warm stones, making them appear yellower and dead-looking. (tldt; I vote yellow gold)

BUT I love the idea of a colored stone target ring. Not sure how it would look with a cushion, but I think a rectangle with clipped corners would look very cool! (and quirky and unique ;)2)

In terms of design.... any thoughts from @MakingTheGrade ? Queen of "tastefully quirky ;))

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
Some different cushion target shapes... rounded, more square, pointed corners:
il_340x270.1660664209_xcn6.jpg

upload_2019-1-21_17-24-30.jpeg

il_340x270.1045405771_k3wy.jpg

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think having photos would help since depending on the cut of the diamond the M tiny may be more or less visible which may affect if you want to play it up or down and how easy it might be to do that.

For an RHR a toi et moi ring is definitely not engagement looking. Or a 3 stone maybe with colored stone sides.

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
78EC4195-40E9-4BED-83DB-AE4F4A5ECB17.jpeg Thanks for your comments and inspiration photos, they’re great.
Hi Leukolenos and elliefire99, I never thought about a target ring! I do really like lots of them especially the Emerald and Blue Sapphire versions...thanks for the links...especially with M colours...yummy and what a good idea!

I really appreciate the info about the views on colour theory, thank you elliefaire99, that’s exactly what I was hoping for and I do like the idea of a rectangle with clipped corners. I have seen one of those and although not the stones I’d be using it was lovely. Also have an oval in a standard diamond halo so that would be beautifully different. Exciting

Thanks MakingTheGrade, I’ve got one very poor quality photo of it, it doesn’t do it justice, so I didn’t post it but you’re right it should help so I’ll attach it.
I hear you’re good at tastefully quirky’ “...fabulous...I’d love to hear your ideas and what you think about this....I’m wondering about purple Sapphires around the M, as Yellow -Purple is a typical colour match..in theory, or blue/turquoise (heated) diamonds?

Thank you Rockysalamander, good point about comfort and practicality being a RHR and interesting images, gives me something to think about. Thank you.

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
15CBF4F4-AF4F-4DEB-ABFE-C5962D002E3F.jpeg 3739920A-A523-40C9-94C6-E7151748E591.jpeg
Any thoughts about these two coloured halos? I found them on the HG Bespoke page, a great Independant Jeweller in London, UK. I really like the Blue diamonds (heated, I think) in the Rose gold with Platinum shank and the Pinky-red stones which I think are Garnets.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
15CBF4F4-AF4F-4DEB-ABFE-C5962D002E3F.jpeg 3739920A-A523-40C9-94C6-E7151748E591.jpeg
Any thoughts about these two coloured halos? I found them on the HG Bespoke page, a great Independant Jeweller in London, UK. I really like the Blue diamonds (heated, I think) in the Rose gold with Platinum shank and the Pinky-red stones which I think are Garnets.

I love the idea of a colored diamond halo. For a RHR which is your dominant hand, I'd avoid anything other than diamonds in a pave halo and keep your lovely diamond in a bezel or prong-in-bezel setting. With some tweaks, I like the bead-set halo.

If you want rose gold, how about a rose gold bezel around your diamond with the rest of the ring in platinum? Blue diamonds on the halo and maybe every other on the shank?

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi rockysalamander, that sounds really lovely. I’ve worked out that I do want platinum for the shank, both for colour and wear strength, but my recent dilemma has been between all platinum with blue diamond halo...but is that too cold?
I think a blue diamond halo will look great against the M itself. As I’m worried that white diamonds would make the M look a bit sad!! Eg Neither one thing nor another. Although I have seen great L-M with white diamond images...too many choices...totally overthinking!
Or warming up the M by using Rose gold ( although I’ve also read that rose gold makes it look whiter) or Yellow gold around the Blue diamond halo. I don’t want it to be too ‘busy’ but I do like your idea of alternating blue and white down the shank. Thank you, I’ll definitely give that lots of thought....lots and lots of thought
Queen of overthinking...and drooling! Ha!

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi lydial, oh Wow, so pretty! How do you find these beauties!
It would be perfect with a row of tapered French cuts on either side. There’s a few well known jewellers on here who do that style and I love it...can’t remember who at the moment! Brain fog!
I do so love Cushions and especially chunky ones. I’ve seen those AVC around on here and they look fabulous, also like its size and ‘Ideal’ stats. I’m not experienced at interpreting all the technical info like so many wonderfully knowledgeable people on here but it looks great
AVC is definitely on my ever expanding Wish list, thank you.

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks tyty33, that’s a really unusual ring, what a stunner...that blue is incredible, almost purple!
I’ll head over to CVB, thank you tyty33

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks tyty33, that was a great suggestion and link, I’ve spent some wonderful hours!! Looking at all the images on CVB’s Instagram...wow and so different compared to lots of designs you see around, I really enjoyed it Thank you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results