shape
carat
color
clarity

Selling to a Canadian?

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have someone interested in buying my ring on LT , but she is concerned about customs. I am a U.S. seller, and she is a Canadian buyer. Any advice? I've only sold in the U.S. Thanks:)

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I’m not sure about customers, but the tracking system for items mailed from the US to Canada can be problematic, leading to white knuckles at times when a parcel goes ‘off the grid’ - you may wish to research shipping strategies before sealing the deal, so that you will both feel comfortable and confident. Good luck!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have someone interested in buying my ring on LT , but she is concerned about customs. I am a U.S. seller, and she is a Canadian buyer. Any advice? I've only sold in the U.S. Thanks:)

What's the dollar value?

I've sold to Canadian PSers several times and never had a problem. I believe FedEx will broker for customs - definitely verify with FedEx International though, my memory is sketchy!

There are a few places I will never ship to. Germany (bizarre, I know, but I had two bad experiences so I'm not signing up for a third), anywhere in LATAM (Mexico is an absolute nightmare), India (I know enough about Indian bureaucratic corruption to anticipate an absolute nightmare).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I never sold to anyone in Canada but I have bought from a Canadian and it went very smoothly. I wish I could remember who it was here because it was a PSer and maybe she can offer some advice re selling from/to Canada.

I could be wrong but @vintagelover229 are you in Canada and can you offer @soxfan any advice?

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
I’m Canadian and have bought many things from the US. I have a US PO Box so I just get things shipped there. However, in Canada when we receive anything over $100 we have to pay custom fees. If you ship via USPS and have it fully insured the receiver will pay the custom fees based on the value declared. If you take a chance and mail it without tracking and a low value the receiver won’t pay. I have had people send me items and declare a low value and I take the chance but that was my decision not theirs. Mail delivery here in Canada is very safe, but there are times when things do get lost. If you have a tracking number then you’re likely to be ok. Another trick is ship it overnight and you’ll be extra safe.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
International insured shipping can be problematic.

Per USPS "Country Conditions for Canada," you cannot ship jewelry to Canada via USPS Priority Mail Express International. You can ship via USPS Priority Mail International but insurance coverage is limited to $5000. You could also ship via First Class International Registered Mail but insurance coverage is limited to $42.66.

https://pe.usps.com/text/imm/ce_003.htm#ep6216933

It is my understanding that FedEx or UPS does not offer insurance for jewelry to individuals, so depending on item value these shippers may not work for you.

eta: I think USPS will let you choose your method of shipping and to pay for any insurance coverage, but should you later need to file a claim for lost parcel/insurance, USPS will deny if the shipment is prohibited by posted regulations...

Any chance there is a vendor you could ask for assistance, as many vendors have third-party insurance which covers overnight mail sent internationally.

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m in Canada and have purchased many item from the US. Even upgrading with HPD is very easy and safe.
High value items are sent by Fed Ex and they collect the taxes before delivery. If it’s an item of lesser value usually Priority mail International is safe.
Hope that helps. :)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sold a ring to someone in BC and fed ex (of course, I’m in a small town so many times these comments are wrong simply because they don’t have a lot of experience with this) told me I could only insure for $500. (Sold for 900. So I declared $500 and crossed my fingers it would make it there).

This was after a cluster visit to the usps.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b The buyer wants to fly into Boston and meet at an appraiser or a jewelry store to do the transaction. I was wondering if you knew of anywhere you recommend? Would love if you wanted to join too!

prinsad

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hey!!! I’ve sold to a Canadian pricescoper. They were relatively “small” $500-1000 purchases. I tried going through usps but they said they wouldn’t ship anything with a value over $100! I went fed ex, but a lower value and my receiver had to pay a duty.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

If the buyer is flying into the US, not sure what the concern may be. Although I've never had any problems buying from the US (yes customs inspects the packages and inspects for products that match the receipts, and yes Fed Ex does broker, as does the USPS) , if there is not a paper trail I suppose that is where problems arise for the buyer.

cheers--Sharon

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

If the buyer is flying into the US, not sure what the concern may be. Although I've never had any problems buying from the US (yes customs inspects the packages and inspects for products that match the receipts, and yes Fed Ex does broker, as does the USPS) , if there is not a paper trail I suppose that is where problems arise for the buyer.

cheers--Sharon

Apparently they can't take over $10,000 in cash out of the country without saying why. We are just trying to figure out payment.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apparently they can't take over $10,000 in cash out of the country without saying why. We are just trying to figure out payment.

I’d say it’s spending money/pocket cash for a personal trip ... that’s not a lie.

Can they make the withdrawal, execute a wire or Zelle payment once they are state-side?

blingmyring

Shiny_Rock
The USA requires Canadians to declare if they’re brining more than $10,000 cash into the USA. It’s not Canada restricting the amount. I would not risk getting blacklisted with either Canadian or US customs ... they can make traveling back and forth difficult.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I, as a seller, would never recommend what the buyer should consider as options that are right for them.
Not a buyer beware statement / but I think someone buying a piece at this price point should be capable of figuring out shipping/customs of their country on their own without my guidance, and therefore no hard feelings if I research and pass on inaccurate/incomplete info.
Best wishes with your sale.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b The buyer wants to fly into Boston and meet at an appraiser or a jewelry store to do the transaction. I was wondering if you knew of anywhere you recommend? Would love if you wanted to join too!

Hey soxfan!

I don't know any appraisers in Boston, I'm sorry. I yelped a bunch and there's a 'top 10' list - but whether they're independent or attached to stores, I don't know.

I'm currently in LA and won't be back to just before Christmas, but MAN, I'd love to join you for something jewelry related! We could look at sparklies, then go out for coffee and discuss the cake extravaganza you're going to make me for 'The Birthday That Shall Not Be Named'.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Having an US account with US funds in it is very common. Easy, transparent.

cheers--Sharon

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe reach out to Arthur DeMello, he is independent, located in downtown Boston, a bit of a funky guy and you have to spell out exactly what you want. He is also pricey (appx $250 per appraisal). There is also New England Gem Lab in Newton. I have never used them but they were nice on the phone when I reached out once and I believe they are independent.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've used the New England Gem Lab at their Old Saybrook location, super nice people and yes they are independent.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Payment would be the only challenge, as e-transfers limit the daily amount that you can transfer (to $2500/day on a personal account), and you cannot bring more than $10,000 in cash with you (or in travelers cheques or in any other form of currency) when crossing the border without declaring it. There is no problem with doing it - but you have to let both Canadian customs and US customs know that you are doing it (it's a law in place to prevent money laundering, funding terrorism, and tax evasion). Here's the link: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ttd-vdd-eng.html

I suppose accepting PayPal is an option. Or a certified cheque. Or they can make arrangements with their bank to set up a US bank account and allow the bank to make all of the necessary reports to the government for funds transferred between the accounts.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sooooo we are meeting in Boston, cash payment, all she wants is to verify that the stone matches the GIA report. Will any jeweler do this or will they want me to buy something? LOL!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To be fair, she is new to PS and does not know me. I get her tripidation but I also don't know how to go about asking a jeweler to loupe the stone without them trying to sell me something!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
You might decide to meet in a branch of your bank. Armed guards, and all that, and you can deposit the cash before departing? That's what I've done when buying large ticket items.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you guys meet at an independent appraiser’s office?
Sooooo we are meeting in Boston, cash payment, all she wants is to verify that the stone matches the GIA report. Will any jeweler do this or will they want me to buy something? LOL!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like it has all worked out! Yay!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results