shape
carat
color
clarity

Selling Jewelry

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
I think I'm going to give it a go to try to sell my eternity band - as some following my story have suggested. Its a beautiful ring, but there are some things I want to do differently. The jeweler would be willing to reset in a different style but the price is high and then that doesn't get the bigger stones I wanted. The jeweler has not answered two emails asking about upgrading stones size and paying difference SO I guess that's not an option.

Anways any recommendations you can give me on trying to sell this piece? How have your experiences been selling if you have sold any jewelry? I'd certainly be hoping to get a certain amount to make it all worth it as i try to embark on getting a new band with the specs/ details I have in mind.

thanks,

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really depends on the item. If it’s super high end, you should consign, especially if you’ve never sold before. Selling on eBay you will come across a lot of cheap buyers with high expectations who will leverage eBay policies in their favor—all while you pay a percentage in fees almost as high as consignment. eBay is not for the inexperienced. You could list in loupe troop and preloved forum, but there us generally less exposure than eBay and you still need to be extra careful whom you sell to.
Finally, expect at least a 30 percent loss tho 50 percent is typical. You It’s all about patience when it comes to selling for the price you want vs the price people will pay.

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
thanks for the info. hmm ebay, I am not sure how it works but I was recommended by one person I know to try ebay. would I potentially get messed over based on what you're saying? I haven't sold on ebay before.

I could deal with a 30% loss but it would be hard to take more! But 30% will get me majority of budget I need to do it again. its a very nice piece but I don't know that it would fall into the super high end category. pic below

IMG_8069.jpg ll post a pic.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would NOT sell on eBay if you’ve never used eBay before. Especially if you don’t have a good amount of recent seller feedback, people will be reluctant to buy from you unless it’s a screamingly good deal. I think you’d be best going consignment.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It Looks like a gorgeous ring! What color cut clarity and carat weight is it? How much did you pay?

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
I would NOT sell on eBay if you’ve never used eBay before. Especially if you don’t have a good amount of recent seller feedback, people will be reluctant to buy from you unless it’s a screamingly good deal. I think you’d be best going consignment.

ok thank you, good to know. i haven't sold on ebay before so now is probably not the time to start.

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
It Looks like a gorgeous ring! What color cut clarity and carat weight is it? How much did you pay?

Thank you! It's .20 stones F/G color, VS2 clarity, ex cut, 3.28 tcw. it is gorgeous, I am just wishing I went bigger on the stone sizes and a different setting style. I guess I felt I had one chance to do this and I didn't get exactly what I want.

I don't mind saying price over private message but maybe not on the open forum. it was not as $$$ as it could have been but I've seen it better priced as well. It is definitely quality made and quality diamonds!

Last edited:

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Definitely not on the bay! You can have a very bad experience as others have mentioned some examples. I have sold various things on eBay and it was mostly okay but they were not jewelry. I would not attempt to sell something of this value there. And it is true that if someone has no or little Feedback they can actually lose their item and their money in a dispute! I have seen it happen. Definitely consign if you really want to sell. Or list on LT, DB and on the PreLoved forum here. Nice ring!

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
Definitely not on the bay! You can have a very bad experience as others have mentioned some examples. I have sold various things on eBay and it was mostly okay but they were not jewelry. I would not attempt to sell something of this value there. And it is true that if someone has no or little Feedback they can actually lose their item and their money in a dispute! I have seen it happen. Definitely consign if you really want to sell. Or list on LT, DB and on the PreLoved forum here. Nice ring!

Thank you for the info! that's terrible that people can lose their item! I def. don't want to go that route then. as I am inexperienced with it.

Any ideas on where to consign, is it like local places or stuff online.

I do think I will try the loupe troupe idea. I know I sound a little crazy because I know its a beautiful ring, I just went smaller then I'd have liked, plus now wearing the u-prong setting not sure its the way I wanted to go.

JJB.Terry

Rough_Rock
Trade

Ditto this and as a seasoned seller with over 1100 feedback on eBay I have lost one dispute of a jewelry piece before amounting to $1400 even though I had all the documents and it was a he said she said thing with a signature of receipt! (I’m still a bit frosted with eBay) it was over two months of hell with them going back and forth awarding me with the case then backing out and awarding the buyer and every instance them taking funds out of my bank account via PayPal.

Your best bet as a new seller would be through consignment.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring in an always-"in" style. Unless it’s branded likely not hugely pricey. You don't have anything to lose by trying LT... Clear photos from various angles and a thorough description will greatly increase your chances of a quick sale :))

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
Ditto this and as a seasoned seller with over 1100 feedback on eBay I have lost one dispute of a jewelry piece before amounting to $1400 even though I had all the documents and it was a he said she said thing with a signature of receipt! (I’m still a bit frosted with eBay) it was over two months of hell with them going back and forth awarding me with the case then backing out and awarding the buyer and every instance them taking funds out of my bank account via PayPal.

Your best bet as a new seller would be through consignment.

Ugh that’s terrible! Definitely not for the inexperienced then!

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful ring in an always-"in" style. Unless it’s branded likely not hugely pricey. You don't have anything to lose by trying LT... Clear photos from various angles and a thorough description will greatly increase your chances of a quick sale :))

Thank you! This is helpful. I do perhaps have something working against me. The ring is about a size 4. And I actually have sizing beads in which prob brings it to a 3.75! I know sizing beads can be removed but I’m guessing size 4 is not the easiest to sell....

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! This is helpful. I do perhaps have something working against me. The ring is about a size 4. And I actually have sizing beads in which prob brings it to a 3.75! I know sizing beads can be removed but I’m guessing size 4 is not the easiest to sell....

I think it would be definitely worth putting it on LT. . . personally, I am a size 4 and I may be interested in it!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

There are proportionally more smaller-sized PSers than general populace :)) It won’t block your sale!

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
There are proportionally more smaller-sized PSers than general populace :)) It won’t block your sale!

really. hmmmm. maybe I should try. I guess I have two options, try and sell it and buy what im looking for or put more money on it with the jeweler ive been working with - which will end up cheaper but not by much lol sadly

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results