shape
carat
color
clarity

Seeking Feedback: Used, 3EX Tiffany Round Brillant Cut Solitaire. HCA Score: Very Good.

thekwon

Rough_Rock
Used Tiffany & Co. 3EX, HCA Score: Very Good.
Round Brilliant Cut Solitaire, Classic Platinum 6 prong Engagement Ring Mount w/ boxes and certification.

s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (5).jpg s-l1600 (6).jpg s-l1600 (7).jpg s-l1600 (8).jpg s-l1600.jpg

Here are the diamond specs and HCA Score:

Carat: 2.33
Triple Excellent
Year originally sold: 2010

Clarity: VVS2
Color: I
Table Size Percentage: 56%
Total Depth Percentage 62.6%
Pavilion Depth Percentage: 40%
Crown Angle: 35.5%
Culet: None
Flourescence: None
Star Length Percentage: 50%
Lower Half Length Percentage: 80%
Girdle Thickness: Medium to Slightly Thick
Girdle Finish: Faceted

HCA Score: 2.6
Light Return: Very Good
Fire: Very Good
Scintillation: Very Good
Spread: Very Good

Here's what I got it for:

Price: $24,000

A few questions for the community:

1. This was originally purchased from Tiffany in 2010. Did Tiffany change their facet design since 2010? Will this ring look much different than one bought today from Tiffany? I'm concerned that 2010 diamonds may look dated.

2. What are your thoughts on HCA's "Very Good" scoring? Tiffany has this graded as 3EX.

3. Is the price right?

Thanks!!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I plugged those numbers into the HCA and I see a score of 1.2. Excellent fire and scintillation. It's a little deep but I think the stone will be pretty. It's worth examining in real life. Do you have a return period? Compared to a full retail Tiffany price, $24K is good. Compared to a Whiteflash ACA I, VS2, 2.3 carats priced at $25K, I would probably go with the ACA, just because I want peace of mind for a top cut. That is not to say the Tiffany diamond is not beautiful too. It just depends on your preference about cut and whether you need a Tiffany. There is a 2 carat Canera Ideal Hearts for $21K, I VS2. These are just comps kinda close to the one you are looking at. Both of these other two stones are AGS stones, and lower in clarity. I personally don't need VVS clarity, but that is a very personal choice. And I also don't feel comfortable buying a stone that is graded by the house that sells it. Lack of independence. But plenty of people don't have a problem with that. So a lot depends on your preferences. Stone is worth a look if there is a return policy. But I wouldn't commit until I can examine it and compare.

thekwon

Rough_Rock
Ugh. My bad. I put "40" for the Pavillion angle but the correct value is 40.8.

Corret Values for HCA Tool:

Depth % 62.6
Table % 56
Crown Angle 35.5
Pavilion Angle 40.8

Jeweler has a 30 day return policy.

ctsamg

Rough_Rock
Having searched myself recently, this is a very good but not unbeatable deal. In that same budget you are giving up a little size but gaining a lot of clariry.

Also if the woman likes Tiffany's she's going to be thrilled by the name brand.

Do you know if she wants a solitaire? If so I'd say go for it! It's basically like getting a Tiffanys setting for feee

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The ring looks to be in good condition and the price of $24k is pretty good compared to a new Tiffany solitaire with a stone of similar specs (around 40k?). If your girl really wants a Tiffany and does not mind a preowned ring, then go for it!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally wouldn't pay extra for Tiffany name but people vary. If having this specific brand is important to you, then it's a reasonable price for a Tiffany resale. For the same money, you can get a new ring in a similar setting with a better cut stone and an upgrade policy at PS recommended vendor.

ctsamg

Rough_Rock
I personally wouldn't pay extra for Tiffany name but people vary. If having this specific brand is important to you, then it's a reasonable price for a Tiffany resale. For the same money, you can get a new ring in a similar setting with a better cut stone and an upgrade policy at PS recommended vendor.
Having recently been in the market, I don't think that is entirely true. What would you recommend?

What I found was for an ideal cut vs2 the diamond will be ~19, for a VVS2 it is closer to 23-25k, and then you still need the setting.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Great angles on the stone, and it is a GREAT price for a Tiffany ring! As long as your intended is ok with pre-owned, i think it is absolutely gorgeous. And really, there is just something about the classic tiffany setting... it's absolutely beautful.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ctsamg

Rough_Rock
Does one have to have a VVS2? James Allen currently has 2.3ct I VS1 true hearts stone for $21680 + plat 6 prong setting $441 = $22121.
https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/l...color-vs1-clarity-true-hearts-cut-sku-6112699
I agree for me the VVS2 is not important as I would rather have either a larger carat or better color than clarity in this range, but balancing all the factors, if the Tiffany's name is important to them this is a very good deal.

The diamond you linked to is indeed excellent though, but going up to a VVS2 accounts for the price difference, not to mention the setting.

thekwon

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I plan on buying this tomorrow.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should check for chips before you buy any pre-owned diamonds.
Definitely. And take it to a trusted jeweler to make sure it matches the report.

The HCA is 2.6 and it’s a little steep/deep. See if the leakage in the center bothers you. It may take a while to notice it. Or you may not mind it at all. Good luck!!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like a great deal. You would pay almost twice as much from the Tiffany shop. It looks beautiful and I hope it works out for you!

thekwon

Rough_Rock
Pulled the trigger today with Credit Card and PayPal protections.

Thanks again and happy holidays.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, I see here what you decided. Congratulations on making the decision right for you.

diamondsndogs

Rough_Rock
If it was me, I would not mind that the diamond was previously owned, or "used" as you put it, but I would want it placed into a new setting. Just something about wearing an actual ring, as opposed to just the diamond, that might have been on someone else's hand.....

thekwon

Rough_Rock
It will be going into a new Tiffany setting.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the same query. My understanding was that T&Co do not sell settings by themselves, only as a complete ring.
Correct. Also, they would not change the setting unless the person is the original owner.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmmmmmmm. I’m
Intrigued how it’s gonna end up
in a new setting.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It will be going into a new Tiffany setting.
As far as I know, Tiffany isn't going to change the setting for you, even if you pay, as you are not the original purchaser. The original ring also has the serial number stamped inside the shank of the setting so I would not muck with the ring. Take it to Tiffany for a good polish + resize and see if your SO will accept it as is. Most gals aren't going reject a 2.3 Tiffany solitaire, preowned or not.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe OP you are going to get a local jeweler put it into a setting that looks like a Tiffany setting. That will be beautiful too. I do think @CareBear ‘s idea is great one. Maybe Tiffany will let you buy a box if you bring it there for polishing. Their new boxes are beautiful.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe I'm stupid, confused or both but what is the attraction of buying a used Tiffany ring that doesn't come with the warranty and customer service (since that dies w/ the original owner)? And then be out the expense for a new setting?

You can buy a super ideal diamond with better specs for the same money and then have DK or similar custom design you a Tiffany setting. Same result. Same money. Better trade policies and more sparkle. None of the risk or astigmatism associated with used rings or "in-house certifications".

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Something’s definitely not right here.

A new setting from Tiffany ain’t gonna happen unless you have a long history and close relationship with a powerful SA... and if that was the case you wouldn’t have the PS thread history that you do.

Separating a Tiffany stone from its original setting instantly devalues both immensely.

Sounds like you bought online. I hope you have an ironclad authentication plan - paperwork, packaging, shank engraving, etc. are all notoriously commonly forged these days.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't change the setting. You would be changing it to a non-Tiffany setting and losing all the value and cachet of the Tiffany name. Quite frankly that would be insane. You can have it made larger or smaller as it is.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it’s a Tiffany ring they service it. Other than cleaning it’s not free. They couldn’t possibly track who bought it, handed it down, left it to someone in their will, got divorced but kept it etc. If it’s their item they’ll repair it if need be.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results