shape
carat
color
clarity

Saturday Night Live 2018 - 2019

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just finished watching last night's episode. I thought the Kavanaaugh cold open with Matt Damon (what a surprise!) was funny, but also too bad that is the topic to ridicule. The rest was hit or miss. I fast-forwarded through some but not as much as episodes from last year which I had only recently been catching up on via DVR).

I don't get the appeal of Kanye. Never did.

Addressing Pete Davidson's personal life (engagement to Ariana Grande and related stories) was unusual but nice. Would be great if he and Ariana make it long term. I recently read up on him and was surprised to learn about his mental health issues and his father, a NYC firefighter, died during 9/11 when Pete was 8.

Anyone else watch?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had not noticed this thread and posted the Matt Damon impersonation of Brett Kavanaugh in a thread about the Senate Judiciary Committee hearings. I did not watch the show. I only noticed that the skit done by Matt Damon was posted somewhere, watched it, and found it entertaining. In general I do not find "Saturday Night Live" to be something I can sit through. I mean I cannot sit through the entire show; I often find discrete political skits amusing.

AGBF

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Just finished watching last night's episode. I thought the Kavanaaugh cold open with Matt Damon (what a surprise!) was funny, but also too bad that is the topic to ridicule. The rest was hit or miss. I fast-forwarded through some but not as much as episodes from last year which I had only recently been catching up on via DVR).

I don't get the appeal of Kanye. Never did.

Addressing Pete Davidson's personal life (engagement to Ariana Grande and related stories) was unusual but nice. Would be great if he and Ariana make it long term. I recently read up on him and was surprised to learn about his mental health issues and his father, a NYC firefighter, died during 9/11 when Pete was 8.

Anyone else watch?

I did! I watched it on Hulu the next day - I also thought it was interesting to see them address the Pete Davidson hubbub (he sure has been thrust in the spotlight, and it seems like he now has a bigger role on the show). The cold open was on point. Adam Driver was fine. Kanye was... Kanye. I think Kate McKinnon is the most naturally funny person and her Ruth Bader Ginsberg impression is a treasure.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I did! I watched it on Hulu the next day - I also thought it was interesting to see them address the Pete Davidson hubbub (he sure has been thrust in the spotlight, and it seems like he now has a bigger role on the show). The cold open was on point. Adam Driver was fine. Kanye was... Kanye. I think Kate McKinnon is the most naturally funny person and her Ruth Bader Ginsberg impression is a treasure.
OMG... she is hilarious! She had me cracking up with Lindsey Graham spoof. I thought Matt Damon was awesome, he totally nailed it. Seriously, what was with the water, I remember watching the actual hearing and thinking how bizarre it was constantly drinking. Do you think it was something other than water? He certainly grew more and more belligerent.

On a side note, I didn't watch it live, but caught a play of the skit posted online. It was playing on the computer at my kitchen desk area and my son happened to walk by and it caught his attention. He asked what it was and I told him it was a skit on the person nominated for a position on the Supreme Court and he chuckled "well he didn't get the job". Even a kid gets it! It was an exaggerated caricature, but not by much - whether you believe the allegations or not I don't get why anyone thinks his behavior was acceptable at a job interview.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought that was one of the better shows and didn't forward through anything except for the first 2 musical numbers. Not my taste in music. Actually laughed out loud for Pete Davidson and RBG skits.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think it is funny that Davidson joked he replaced her birth control with tic tacks.

I also can’t stand another minute of political issues, so we won’t be watching this year. It’s just not funny.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought it was a great show. Matt Damin nailed his Kavanaugh performance. The weekend updates are always on point. . Not a fan of the musical performances on Saturday nights show.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG... she is hilarious! She had me cracking up with Lindsey Graham spoof. I thought Matt Damon was awesome, he totally nailed it. Seriously, what was with the water, I remember watching the actual hearing and thinking how bizarre it was constantly drinking. Do you think it was something other than water? He certainly grew more and more belligerent.
My "guess" is, it might have been because sometimes when people get really stressed/nervous, their mouth dries up. For whatever reason your spit just quits producing, so it can get hard to talk.

Or, maybe it was really vodka?
Idunno1.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Damon was hysterical.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Stopped watching, a while ago, for a lot of reasons; chief amongst them was that nothing was funny nor entertaining.

That said, I have enjoyed other/previous year of great entertainment. I am happy to "reintroduce" myself to SNL!

cheers--Sharon

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In general I do not find "Saturday Night Live" to be something I can sit through. I mean I cannot sit through the entire show; I often find discrete political skits amusing.

AGBF

It is a long show and on late. Sometimes I'll just watch the cold open live and the rest the next day or during the next week.

I think Kate McKinnon is the most naturally funny person and her Ruth Bader Ginsberg impression is a treasure.

Kate is a gem. I like pretty much everything she does. Did you see the RBG movie? RBG's kids said RBG doesn't watch tv but had heard about the SNL impression. During the movie, they showed her a clip. She liked it. Elsewhere she said she wanted to use the term "Ginsburn" like they do in the show.

On a side note, I didn't watch it live, but caught a play of the skit posted online. It was playing on the computer at my kitchen desk area and my son happened to walk by and it caught his attention. He asked what it was and I told him it was a skit on the person nominated for a position on the Supreme Court and he chuckled "well he didn't get the job". Even a kid gets it! It was an exaggerated caricature, but not by much - whether you believe the allegations or not I don't get why anyone thinks his behavior was acceptable at a job interview.

Ha, I never considered it was something other than water, but . . . hmm. I think it's nuts and kind of sad what kids were exposed to during the campaign and have been exposed to during this presidency. I think the benefit is many kids are more engaged and knowledgable about politics and the system than they have been in the past.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought that was one of the better shows and didn't forward through anything except for the first 2 musical numbers. Not my taste in music. Actually laughed out loud for Pete Davidson and RBG skits.

I try to give all of the musical numbers a chance but find I fast forward through most as not my taste in music either. I saw Kanye was about to do an unusual third musical performance at the end so just deleted. Later heard he had an epic Trump meltdown on air after his performance.

I don’t think it is funny that Davidson joked he replaced her birth control with tic tacks.

I also can’t stand another minute of political issues, so we won’t be watching this year. It’s just not funny.

Yeah, the birth control comment made me cringe.

I thought it was a great show. Matt Damin nailed his Kavanaugh performance. The weekend updates are always on point. . Not a fan of the musical performances on Saturday nights show.

Yup, I agree with all of this!!

Damon was hysterical.

I thought so, too! They might be able to milk it a bit for one more show tonight.

HI:

Stopped watching, a while ago, for a lot of reasons; chief amongst them was that nothing was funny nor entertaining.

That said, I have enjoyed other/previous year of great entertainment. I am happy to "reintroduce" myself to SNL!

cheers--Sharon

Yes, it can be hit or miss by show or even by season or years.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results