shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire second thoughts

sam_bells

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone:

I'm new here but I've been lurking for several months and have learned a lot from all of you! My fiance and I are engagement ring shopping. We've been interested in Montana sapphires because we like the idea of something mined in the US and I like the blue-grey-green colors they come in. I decided I was set on a step cut (asscher or emerald), which aren't easy to find. I wrote to several of the recommended cutters/vendors and after a long search we decided to check out a couple stones. This is our top vote: a 5.7" x 5.7" asscherish heated Montana sapphire from a well-regarded vendor here for ~$2000. I think the color's beautiful, it's the right size for me and the cut is lovely.

I'm weirdly having second thoughts though for two reasons: there's a tiny culet in the center that bugs me more than I thought it would and I'm wondering whether getting a diamond would just be simpler and age better? I realized that for the same budget we could get almost the same size diamond and it would be less complicated to set (either way we're planning a 14k yellow gold bezel solitaire). I know a lot of it just comes down to personal preference of diamond vs. sapphire but if you guys have any thoughts about this stone, or those of you who have sapphire ER, thoughts about whether it stands the test of time as well as a diamond, please let me know!! Thanks :)

IMG_5446.jpeg IMG_5457.jpeg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Being a step cut diamond lover, I don’t think you can get a well cut eye clean and white looking diamond that faces up 5.7 mm for 2K.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you plop it in some settings to see how it looks? Things that you notice in a loose gem can change or be less noticeable when set. I would not bezel, as it would affect the face up size and it’s already under 6mm.

I also agree with Chrono on the diamond pricing, unless you got a champagne diamond.

Corundum is very durable but can get facet abrasions. It would be hard to notice with the naked eye. Any stone, even diamond, won’t hold up well if one wears it everywhere to do everything, and hard core chores like gardening.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That stone will be very dark once you set it in a bezel. Have you tried surrounding it by tin foil (adheered to the girdle/widest part, and closed in at the bottom)? How much of the faceting/asscherish cut do you see after doing this?

Have you looked at somewhere like jewels by grace or love affair daimonds to gauge prices? I think chrono might be right, the daimond you get for 2000 is going to be small -- that cut makes things face up small for their weight anyway.

sam_bells

Rough_Rock
Hi guys! Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions:

You guys are definitely right about not getting an equally sized diamond for the price. I've been looking at the selection on BN and JA and was surprised to see that ~1ct (5.5mm) diamonds aren't *that* much more, especially because I'm looking at lower colors since it'll be set in yellow gold and I'm not super color sensitive. So I should have said that I think I can get a slightly smaller diamond still within our budget (~2500 for stone). The main reason I'm drawn to the diamond is that it seems much easier to evaluate the quality of a diamond and know what you're getting for the money. With sapphires (esp. since it's my first colored stone purchase) it seems much harder to tell.

I went and wrapped some foil around the sapphire to check it out! I was pleased to see that the culet was much less noticeable. As far as I could tell, it really didn't seem that much darker either, which was reassuring.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your fiancée needs to be “on board” with this. There’s a big “choice difference” between choosing a sapphire OR diamond.
I’m not a “fan” of surprises, the actual proposal most definately a surprise but the choice of gemstone and shape and setting style is best made with total consideration of her choice and taste.
Many is the story of disappointed or upset fiancées being given NOT their dream engagement ring. It’s a very special and important piece of jewellery for her.
And no, you can’t get an equivalent diamond for $2,000.
Sapphires can be tricky gemstones, choosing one is about colour and tone because that is their main attribute and quality of cut affects whether you get a “window” (see through part) and/or an attractive facet pattern. You have discovered that the Asher cut with it square cutlet isn’t to your taste.
Deep toned sapphires also darken once set. A Montana sapphire can have a deep grey green tone and that can be an unattractive to some especially when set. Setting any coloured gem reduces the light access and if a gem is “dark” held between the gap in your fingers, that’s an indication of how dark it will look once set. Add inside and under artificial light and the gemstone can look “meh”.
If you are having doubts, I would return the gem. You and your fiancée need to love the gemstone because it’s a consideratable investment and a very special ring and it’s expected to be worn every day for a long long time.

fenestrate

Rough_Rock
Premium
To emphasise what Bron said - her caveat of it being a joint decision - if that is indeed the case, and if you both are having any doubts about the sapphire route, I would not hesitate to go down the diamond route. If there is something that bothers you about a stone I find it only gets worse over time.

How low in color are you willing to go in a diamond, and what kind of shape do you seek?
Pop over to RockyTalky and browse the threads or start your own and outline the dilemma and ask for help with a search. Find the maximum size you can afford given your parameters on James Allen or Blue Nile. You can afford a fair size if you drop in color.

Then, my strongest advice is to take your sapphire to a local jeweler and compare the size and shape that maxes out your budget (on the above websites) with your sapphire, directly. This is also an excellent and vital opportunity to examine diamond color in person and find where your tolerance lies, for the particular diamond shape you have chosen.

You may even find you are resolute about a sapphire but simply dissatisfied with the one you have. Keep a strong eye on the return window for the sapphire.

ETA: is the sapphire heated? Who is the vendor if you are comfortable sharing? Is it silky or transparent?

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cape diamonds may also be a good alternative. They’re much more affordable than colorless diamonds. They’re slightly yellowish, but not fancy yellow, which are $$$. The yellow color can be very pretty and look “fancy” in a yellow head with a white band. I have a half carat one in such a setting and it’s very pretty.

fenestrate

Rough_Rock
Premium
Also, if you are looking for something ‘different’ to the norm, consider the boutique cuts at August Vintage, and old cuts at Love Affair Diamonds and Jewels By Grace etc. Both can come at a premium however. Though as per TL mentioning cape diamonds, these ‘show’ very well in these cuts.

Finally, consider a three stone as below but in the reverse: Little diamond sides, if the budget will tolerate it (or Montana sides to a diamond perhaps). David Klass is good for custom on a relative budget.

F322A619-937E-432D-8EFF-F72D1F0B24CC.jpeg D9FAE33E-E2DD-46C8-B37F-079057F82197.jpeg

Last edited:

sam_bells

Rough_Rock
Hi Fenestrate and Bron:

I realized this wasn't clear- I am the one who will be wearing the ring (I am a lady with big ole hands). My fiance is on board with whatever option makes me happy, but I think he's ready for me to settle on something :).

I originally was set on a sapphire as opposed to a diamond but then I realized how hard it can be to find the "right" sapphire and we looked at diamonds in person and I saw how classic and sparkly they look :doh:. I'm happy with J colored diamonds though- they look white enough to me.

I still really like the sapphire we got, I just got cold feet because it is such an important purchase and we only have a couple more days to decide before returning. It is heated, which I'm fine with, and it's really clear.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just my 2cents, but I wouldn't want to pay 2k for such a dark sapphire, especially since unheated usually means less expensive. Obviously if it were huge I might, but not for the size you have now. Not to say I dislike it. I think it's pretty, just overpriced.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I agree with @lovedogs that while I think that your sapphire is a very pretty color with a nice cut, but it's overpriced in my opinion. Looking at the face-up size I estimate around a ct in weight, and I would personally only be willing to pay $2000/ct for an unheated blue sapphire, no matter the origin.

For example, this is a similar weight, larger face-up size step cut sapphire that only costs $708, lab report and shipping included. https://skyjems.ca/collections/certified-gemstones/products/igis0025-8

Not to equate it with your stone, as the colors are different, but there are definitely cheaper stones available.

Buying a sapphire does definitely involve a lot more hunting than buying diamond. If putting in a lot more time to hunt down your perfect stone doesn't appeal to you, I suggest you buy diamond.

sam_bells

Rough_Rock
Voce and Lovedogs- yeah I know that we're paying a pretty price for this stone. Constraining the search to both Montana sapphires and a step cut leaves limited options. I know some people around here find Montana sapphires bafflingly overpriced for the color and size. If we do decide to relax on the US-origin front we would definitely have more options. We do really like the stone and it's within our budget, mostly I'm just worried that if I learn more over time I won't be as satisfied with it.

Fenestrate and TL- thanks for the suggestions! I hadn't heard of Cape diamonds but I'll look into them.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m inclined to agree that the traditional teal like muted grey color of Montana sapphires may not age well with time. The traditional vivid blue sapphire is well known for would not look as dated as this color, in my opinion.

Now dated sounds bad but is it? There are women who looove their marquise ballerina yellow gold wedding sets.

I’m inclined to agree with the other bezeling that might make the ring too dark
Whatever you get you should feel 100 percent about. If you’re worried what other people will think, which is valid, then think carefully before buying. Some will say “don’t worry what other people think” but you worry about that you want to worry about lol.

I can’t tell you what to be concerned about in choosing a stone that’s a personal thing. But I guess just think, in 10 years, will you care where the stone came from?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay, excellent news that you are able to be the decider of your beautiful and special ring.
And yes, coloured gems can be tricky. They can look quite different on the vendors website to how they look once in hand.
Coloured gems are all about the colour and how they perform in most lighting conditions. Very few coloured gems look fantastic irrespective of the light source.
While a sapphire can look spectacular in sunlight or those fancy lights in jewellers shops, they can look flat and insipid under office lighting which can be disappointing if that where you will be spending a vast maority of your viewing time.
Diamonds of any colour (and Burmese rubies in my opinion) can look good even in the most unfavorable lighting conditions. Just a scrap of light and a well cut diamond will sparkle.
When buying diamonds to get “size” you can sacrifice colour (go down the scale) and clarity as long as eye clean at normal viewing distance and the preferred type of inclusions. Clarity grading is done more by numbers and size than type and position. So a single carbon fleck in the wrong spot can be awful, but a collection of crystal feathers, clouds and pinpoints at the girdle edge are much less obvious to the eye.
What you must pay close attention to however is cut. There is a world of difference between an excellent cut and a good cut. Sparkle is all with diamonds.
If you’re needing assistance post over in the Rocky Talk and seek out the experienced PS diamond gurus who will gladly assist you to find the most perfect diamond for your budget.

sam_bells

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone: Thanks again for your thoughts and suggestions. My fiance and I are going to look into some options and think about it some more :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results