shape
carat
color
clarity

Ruby Stone. Need Help - What's your opinion?

TwilightBlue

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I'm new around here would appreciate your help with this Ruby I am considering purchasing. It is heat treated and the size is 5.3mm. I don't have a huge budget so I have to look at stones under $900.

Any thoughts and guidance with this stone would be appreciated. Thanks.

Red Beauty.jpg

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
I see no flashes of brilliant color. This ruby looks dull and dark in the photo. Are there better pictures of it in the sunlight?

Based on just this, I would say pass and get either a lighter colored ruby or a red spinel.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definitely pass. It doesn't have any of the brilliance or nice parts of being a Ruby. It just looks like a cloudy red stone. I wouldn't pay anything for this one....I would save for something nicer or consider spinel or a lighter color.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I noticed some flea bites at the edges. Is this a secondhand stone?

TwilightBlue

Rough_Rock
I noticed some flea bites at the edges. Is this a secondhand stone?
It is not secondhand to my knowledge. Please educate me as to what “flea bites” are. Thanks.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is not secondhand to my knowledge. Please educate me as to what “flea bites” are. Thanks.

Those teeny marks/empty spots on the edges are called "flea bites". It looks like a flea bit the edge of the stone, which is why it has the name.

passions4purples

Rough_Rock
For $900 you could get an absolutely fabulous red spinel, rubellite tourmaline or garnet with far better clarity, color and sparkle and a lot bigger as well! While I definitely understand the appeal of having a ruby, I find that when I have a limited budget I'm much happier exploring the wider range of smaller-name stones and finding incredible bargains there.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For $900 you could get an absolutely fabulous red spinel, rubellite tourmaline or garnet with far better clarity, color and sparkle and a lot bigger as well! While I definitely understand the appeal of having a ruby, I find that when I have a limited budget I'm much happier exploring the wider range of smaller-name stones and finding incredible bargains there.

Couldn’t agree more. :D

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
I second the spinel and garnet. The ring in my photo is a rubellite. You could get better clarity than mine.

TwilightBlue

Rough_Rock
I second the spinel and garnet. The ring in my photo is a rubellite. You could get better clarity than mine.

I would be very open to a red spinel. Please recommend some vendors that have good stones.
Thanks.

TwilightBlue

Rough_Rock
Please point me to some vendors. I'd love to explore this option.
Thanks.

TwilightBlue

Rough_Rock
I found this ring. What do you think of this ruby? il_fullxfull.1712716426_1t34_1024x1024.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TwilightBlue

Rough_Rock
Hard to tell in the lighting. What are the specs, treatments, lab reports, etc?
This is the info on it
This ruby displays more red and less pink in reality than in photos. 1.12cts. 6.3 x 5.2mm antique cushion. No treatments other than we assume heat treatment. Please read the following blog to understand what to expect with natural corundums in regards to heat treatment:
The ruby without the ring...
il_fullxfull.1647899070_5d8l_1024x1024.jpg il_fullxfull.1647928126_p84t_1024x1024.jpg

TwilightBlue

Rough_Rock
This is the info on it
This ruby displays more red and less pink in reality than in photos. 1.12cts. 6.3 x 5.2mm antique cushion. No treatments other than we assume heat treatment.
The ruby without the ring...
il_fullxfull.1647899070_5d8l_1024x1024.jpg il_fullxfull.1647928126_p84t_1024x1024.jpg
Hard to tell in the lighting. What are the specs, treatments, lab reports, etc?

There is a return policy so I don't like it for any reason I can return it. I am getting a video too. I just don't want to be ripped off.

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
Even if I liked how the ruby looked in person, I'd still like an independent lab report to know that there's no fillers. Any enhancements other than heat affects the durability of the stone, and it would be nice to verify that it's not synthetic.

But good job! If that's within your budget, it's not a ripoff. It's way better than the first done that was posted.:geek2:

Last edited:

TwilightBlue

Rough_Rock
Even if I liked how the ruby looked in person, I'd still like an independent lab report to know that there's no fillers. Any enhancements other than heat affects the durability of the stone, and it would be nice to verify that it's not synthetic.

But good job! If that's within your budget, it's not a ripoff. It's way better than the first done that was posted.:geek2:
That’s definitely good advice on the report. I appreciate all the help.
Thanks

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Buying any ruby without a reputable lab certificate is risky.
The reality is that there are many, many glass filled, BE treated and excellent man made rubies out there being sold as “ruby”.
The ruby you like is “no treatments other than we assume heat treatment” is not reassuring, only a lab certificate saying “heat, no evidence of fillers” will confirm that it is indeed natural with only heat treatment.
The problem is that a glass filled ruby, a Beryllium diffusion treated ruby or a synthetic ruby is worth like $50, so without a proper lab certificate you don’t know if you’re buying a “great price” natural ruby or a vastly overpriced heavily treated or “fake” stone.

TwilightBlue

Rough_Rock

Fair point. Thank you

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results