shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Families & their ‘value’ to citizens’ everyday lives

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coming from a place of self-admitted ignorance, only having watched a handful documentaries and binging on ‘The Crown’ :whistle::lol: I often wonder about the benefit of having/supporting a royal family (such as the Windsors) with tax dollars from a modern-day citizen’s perspective. I sort of understand the role the Queen plays with regard to U.K. and Parliament, but I don’t understand the tangible value that role brings and how that equates for everyday citizens to be worthwhile vs. having one true “head” of state. Same for other countries where it might be different somehow (e.g., “there for looks, not for function”?). In some regards, royal families come across to me (again, place of ignorance, so don’t shoot me) as glorified ambassadors - whether it’s in an official capacity visiting other countries, representing charities, attending to ‘grand openings’ and events, and the like, kind of how some of our celebrities in the U.S. are ... only they’re “self-funded” from their day jobs vs. tax dollars.

I’d be interested to learn from/read what those of you who live in countries with royal families perceive to be the pros/cons, and if you feel supporting them with tax dollars is indeed beneficial or wasteful. How is your country/society/etc. better off by supporting a Royal family? What other ‘purpose’ do they serve that you see/appreciate (or see and don’t appreciate) that those of us on the outside don’t see?

And just to be clear, I’m not trying to bash the concept of these roles or the individuals themselves; just learn/broaden understanding, etc. :wavey:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you are correct in saying that Royal families (or the UK version at least) are all about being ambassadors across the world - I don't envy their schedule or the fact they have to meet and greet so many randoms seemingly every day of the year :lol: lol

As for are they worth it...? I'm sure someone somewhere has done an analysis of the cost:benefit ratio and the value they add to the economy, but there are many people who say they are privileged and should be replaced with a Republic - to which I point at the USA right now and say 'Are you suuuuure??' ;)) :lol:

Queenie et al have to be politically impartial, and I think having a layer above the Prime Minister and Parliament, even if they rarely/never actually use the powers they have within the constitution, is a good thing, because it keeps a check on things that might otherwise go a bit crazy in the heat of the moment (reference my earlier comment ;-) lol). By all accounts Her Maj is not one to be trifled with, and I like that.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My impression is that the British royal family spend more days than most of us working, with much of that being behind the scenes philanthropy work. I also like the sense of history that they offer. How many of us can trace our ancestry back in the same way that they can? That must be really interesting for them.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Didn't @Maisie tell us awhile back that they cost each taxpayer 90 cents a year in US dollars? For me that seems worth it. But it's up to the UK to decide if they wish to continue IMO. I like the history of it all having been to Windsor.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
you have raised some interesting points and thanks to the internet i have many American friends who dont really get it
there is so much more to it than what the Dutchess of Sussex had for breakfast
this wounderful institution has survived a millennium before her and God willing one day she will be a King's aunt, a future king or Queen's great aunt even

for me having HM as my HOS is very important
so my words come straight from my heart which i wear on my sleeve

half the time i hate the politicans running the country - i think the majority of people would agree
but the Queen is just this beaitiful calming constant
the only constant ive had in my whole life
my entire life full of change and uncertainty, worry and loss
the Queen and Prince Philip have always been there somewhere in a familar and safe background

unlike an elected head of state she's just on another plain - a higher plain entirely
all her life she has dedicated herself to her peoples all over the world
she is the biggest international champion of all the countries in the commonwealth
i just get this feeling she has her people in her prayers at night every night

she and most of the other European monarchies are constitutional monarchs
i like having that system of government
in my early 20s i did ' explore ' the idea of republicanism and i gave it much thought
but because of that deep thought i know always refer to Queen Elizebth 2 as Queen of NZ - its irrelevant to me she lives in England because she is a New Zealander just like she is a Canadian or an Australian
when i was sworn into the army i made it known i was swearing my allegence to the Queen of NZ Elizabeth the 2nd

i feel a president may think he is above God but the Queen serves her people and God.
have you seem the speech she made on her 21st birthday to the commonweth
she pledged before God her whole life weather it be long or short to the service of the people and she has done nothing less
that speech brings tears to my eyes every time
even when a country may become a republic they are still family to the Queen as head of the commonweath of nations
also it should be noted the lifetime of international deplomacy the Queen has under her belt
no one would know more world leaders (not to mention just people in general) than she and she must be a very useful sounding board and resource to her prime ministers at number 10

last time i looked its about 89p to the UK taxpayer
if she comes on a royal visit here then we pay - same with her representatives
Prince William brought much comfort to the people when he was dispatched out here to represent his grandmother after the Christchurch earthquakes and also the rescent mosque shooting

i think when you consider what a presidential inogreatiom (excuse spelling) costs every 4 years 89p is very good value for money

when really bad stuff happens in one's country its nice to know so very far away the Queen is awear of your suffering and she cares
as she's got older and particularly after her mother passed away its like she is her people's mother
an elected politican who is only in office a few years is never going to feel like a nation's mother
to her our countries are family

when times are tough and the chips are down the royal family are always more popular than in good times
Hitler called the Queen mum the most dangerous woman in Europe because she gave her people moral
i find our Queen's parents both very inspiring
neither of whom expected or wanted the throne but had it thrust upon them and their daughter and they rose to the occasion beautifully like the good dutiful monarchs they were
if the Queen mum had one too many exstravagant tastes in latter life she bloody well deserved it
i must say i dread the day HM will no longer be with us but i have faith in Charles that he will be a good king because both his parents have installed the importance of duty and service into him
the Queen is 93 years old
Prince Philip only retired after nearly 70 years of supporting the Queen and in his own work with many many charities and organisations
every day except Easter and Christmas HM studies her boxes from parliment
she deserves retirement herself but she'll never abdicate because of her vow to God all those years ago and because she isn't selfish like her uncle was

the royal family are not UK Hollywood rather they are - and i mean Queen Elizabeth- are the fabric that bind us all together
the Queen reigns, she does not rule, she advices her ministers when required
it might be a little too late in the day.to say long may she continue to reign over us but may her remaining days be healthy and happy
we have been truelly blessed to have her as our Queen

on a personal note and i am politically a life time conservative - but i got so terribly stressed over President Trump and some very irrational fears - but i was able to chill and take some much need time out to relax by taking in all the more glamouse (as opposed to constitutional) aspects of the royal families of the world
all those tiaras and crown jewles and ceremonies and hats
its a little bit of magic and tradition in a world that moves too fast and seems to only value the sound bit of the young and youthful

thank you Your Magisty
your loyal subject

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I appreciate the insight @OoohShiny @cmd2014 & @redwood66 I hadn’t really thought much about the economic impact (positive or negative) they might have, but that probably makes sense to consider if it can be tangibly quantified in comparison to what it costs taxpayers. Surely, if their presence and activities help generate revenue into the country/commonwealth, or improve the overall environment, benefits, etc. for taxpayers, that is a good thing. And I definitely appreciate and am fascinated by the historical aspect of their family going back so many centuries. That is pretty cool, really!

I agree, 90-cents per-year per-taxpayer doesn’t seem/feel like much, but I don’t know what other taxes they pay (except I hear/read it’s “high”). I think about it like I do my own taxes when I hear something else being proposed that “will only have a 75-cent/year impact to taxpayers”, but when I look at my overall property tax bill which is pretty high, every little bit adds up over time, and I can’t help but question “what is the net benefit here?”.

I also kind of wonder about it from a different perspective. For example, I read an article this morning that the renovation expenses associated with Frogmore Cottage were around $3M. This is a home that - IIRC - is/was a privately-owned property belonging to the Queen, and she gifted it to Harry & Meghan for them to have a home outside London; yet, taxpayers foot the bill for the costs to renovate/update the plumbing, heating, electrical, structural, new kitchen, baths, etc. either entirely or the majority of the expense. How does that type of expense benefit taxpayers when it’s purely for personal use/benefit by the couple? It’s not like they didn’t have a reasonable accommodation/home already. And what - for public/taxpayers’/society’s benefit - could that $3M have been used to fund vs. their essentially ‘personal’ expense?

And I truly don’t mean to come across like I’m ‘picking on’ any particular royal family/member/s; I don’t dislike them or think negatively about them; they’re just the most known-to-me example to cite in trying to understand the ins & outs of it all. =)2

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have great respect for our Queen. She works so hard when most ladies her age have long retired. She is the last of her kind (in my opinion) and I honestly think the royal family will never be the same once she’s gone. I dread that day because I know how upsetting it will be.

I don’t believe Prince Charles is interested in becoming king. I know it’s unlikely but I would be pleased to see the crown pass to William and Catherine.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
plesse excuse my typos
The Queen Mum (as the Queen back then) gave her people morale - have i spelt that right now ?
incidentally HM the king of Sweden has dyslexia as does Princess Bea of York

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have great respect for our Queen. She works so hard when most ladies her age have long retired. She is the last of her kind (in my opinion) and I honestly think the royal family will never be the same once she’s gone. I dread that day because I know how upsetting it will be.

I don’t believe Prince Charles is interested in becoming king. I know it’s unlikely but I would be pleased to see the crown pass to William and Catherine.
Charlie is the most prepaired hair to the throne in history
he will know his place when the times comes
Queen Victoria's sun didn't have to wait quite as long but he still had a short reign
he and his beautiful wife were very popular and well regarded by his people despite a rather frivolous tenure as POW
Poor old Charles has always been so misunderstood but he was really ahead of his time with his organic practices
i wouldn't exspect his reign to be long but i wish him well
William and Katherine still have some learning to do and nice for them to have as much family time as possible as opposed to the Queen's own young family esoecially Charles and Ann

besides Prince Charles has certainly done his apprenticeship
and isnt their talk of the Queen retiring (not abducating) at 95 and Charles becoming Regant

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Daisys and Diamonds Thanks so much for detailing out your perspective; that’s really helpful/insightful. QE 2 is definitely one of the most - if not THE most - intriguing, admirable, and interesting figures of the last century IMO, when you consider ALL that she has experienced, seen, done, influenced, etc. I’ve often thought about that while watching the Crown and thinking - over the years - all that she has been privy to, advised on, who she’s met, good and bad times she’s reigned over, etc. I’m not one to personally read any public figure’s memoir, but if she ever wrote/authorized one, it’d be at the top of my list for sure. I did see/hear her speech from her birthday that you noted, and I remember thinking as I listened at how heart-filled & wise - for her age - she was. But considering all that she lived through in such a short amount of time leading up to that point, it’s easy to see how/why she was so wise and loved her country. I hope my inquisitiveness about her (and other royal families) isn’t construed as viewing them negatively because I certainly don’t.

@Maisie I agree with you about how ‘rare a breed’ QE 2 is, and not that I get any say, but I agree that it’d be great to see the crown go to William & Catherine. I don’t hang around a lot of Kings, Queens or Princesses, but Charles never struck me as someone who’d ‘like’ or want to be King. In some ways, he reminds me of how QE 2’s father has been portrayed ... someone who didn’t want that spotlight/role but was thrust into it. Does he actually get a say in the matter? In other words, could he say, “yeaaa, no thanks, just let my Son have the job”, or if he could/were to decline the crown, would it instead have to pass to Anne as the next oldest child of QE 2, then Anne’s children would be in ‘priority’ line of succession? That’s another thing I wondered about should, God forbid, Charles not out-live his mother. I don’t know all the rules/lines of succession, how that works, etc.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Didn't @Maisie tell us awhile back that they cost each taxpayer 90 cents a year in US dollars? For me that seems worth it. But it's up to the UK to decide if they wish to continue IMO. I like the history of it all having been to Windsor.

I get more than 90 cents a year worth of enjoyment from them -- and I'm an American! Where do I send my buck? :cheeky:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds Thanks so much for detailing out your perspective; that’s really helpful/insightful. QE 2 is definitely one of the most - if not THE most - intriguing, admirable, and interesting figures of the last century IMO, when you consider ALL that she has experienced, seen, done, influenced, etc. I’ve often thought about that while watching the Crown and thinking - over the years - all that she has been privy to, advised on, who she’s met, good and bad times she’s reigned over, etc. I’m not one to personally read any public figure’s memoir, but if she ever wrote/authorized one, it’d be at the top of my list for sure. I did see/hear her speech from her birthday that you noted, and I remember thinking as I listened at how heart-filled & wise - for her age - she was. But considering all that she lived through in such a short amount of time leading up to that point, it’s easy to see how/why she was so wise and loved her country. I hope my inquisitiveness about her (and other royal families) isn’t construed as viewing them negatively because I certainly don’t.

@Maisie I agree with you about how ‘rare a breed’ QE 2 is, and not that I get any say, but I agree that it’d be great to see the crown go to William & Catherine. I don’t hang around a lot of Kings, Queens or Princesses, but Charles never struck me as someone who’d ‘like’ or want to be King. In some ways, he reminds me of how QE 2’s father has been portrayed ... someone who didn’t want that spotlight/role but was thrust into it. Does he actually get a say in the matter? In other words, could he say, “yeaaa, no thanks, just let my Son have the job”, or if he could/were to decline the crown, would it instead have to pass to Anne as the next oldest child of QE 2, then Anne’s children would be in ‘priority’ line of succession? That’s another thing I wondered about should, God forbid, Charles not out-live his mother. I don’t know all the rules/lines of succession, how that works, etc.
glad you are enjiying the crown
it isnt exactly all true though
i get a bit worked up because they miss out some really good stuff and then farbricate fluff to fill it up
the king's father George V1 may have been a reluctant king because he never expected it or was trained for it but he was a great king leading his people through the great hardship and.scarifiecs of WW2
that's where our Queen gets it all from
from being at her beloved father's side
he taught her how to be the monarch that she is
i doubt Charles would pass on his destinany for the same reason -
Uncle David did that and then the stress of the job killed Charle"s grandfather
Charlie was always very close to the Queen mum
she must have discused things like this with him and she had a great influence on him just as she had on his mother, our Queen

here's a sweet little picture for some light releaf
BBQMz8K.jpeg
i think Bertie was terribly handsom

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get more than 90 cents a year worth of enjoyment from them -- and I'm an American! Where do I send my buck? :cheeky:

LOL Right! Selfishly, I SOOOO appreciate the damn bling! :love: I don’t know much about any of the other countries’ royal families aside from reading tidbits here/there and seeing things posted in the Royal Jewels thread. I hope others who might live in those countries chime in to share their views on their RFs so it’s not all about the Windsors.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL Right! Selfishly, I SOOOO appreciate the damn bling! :love: I don’t know much about any of the other countries’ royal families aside from reading tidbits here/there and seeing things posted in the Royal Jewels thread. I hope others who might live in those countries chime in to share their views on their RFs so it’s not all about the Windsors.
i am very good friends with a Swedish radio journalist
the royal families seem very popular in Scandanavia
we here quite a wee bit about the Danes because CP Mary is from Tasmania and alot of those trashy woman's mags shear content between NZ and Australian editions
Mary's MIL is one of my favourites because Queen Margarethe 2 was a real Ptincees Daisy. she quite an arty and ecliptic soverign
check out this 'taira' the golden poppies
i think they date from the 70's ?
they can be worn on mass like this or just a few
5fc92724330c9d555199001107de2cd2.jpg
i hope when Mary is Queen she wears them too

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I might get some flack since it appears most people are on board with RF, but I see no purpose. As a Canadian, QE2 is my "head of state", but looking at it practically, she/they have almost zero impact on the country. We have a "Governer General" who is our representative of the Queen. They do nothing, and the last one has charged cdn tax payers over $1M even though she hasn't held the position for a decade because "expenses". This position is not elected either, it's appointed.
Anyways, as a Canadian I benefit from being part of the commonwealth, but as a practical day to day VALUE from the RF specifically? None.

In general, I also think RF do more detriment to countries rather than benefits or added value. Take for example the Saudi's. They do what benefits THEM and don't really care that much about their citizens. Are most like that? Probably not. But IMO your blood has nothing to do with how well you can govern your citizens. Princess Charlene of Monaco tried to run away 3 times before she was "forced" to marry Prince Albert - and this was 2011, not 1800. Royal officials took away her passport so she could not run a fourth time. The thai RF has disbanded political parties they don't like, and citizens have been jailed for speaking out against them.

Soo that's my opinion lol.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
glad you are enjiying the crown
it isnt exactly all true though

I’m certain it’s not all true, and there have been parts of it that provoked me to go read up/research further. While it is entertaining, I certainly don’t allow it to form the basis of what I accept as ‘fact’ in regard to the Windsor family, much like any other form of entertainment/media. ;)2

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for chiming I’m @telephone89 It is interesting to read an alternative perspective/opinion on the Windsor RF, as well as the contrasting unpopular RFs from other countries. Situations like the Governor General you more are what would concern me, as it would appear there are opportunities for misuse resulting in abuse of tax dollars, though to be fair, that happens with elected officials as well as appointed officials, it seems. I suppose the difference is, there seems to be more accountability when they are elected.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m certain it’s not all true, and there have been parts of it that provoked me to go read up/research further. While it is entertaining, I certainly don’t allow it to form the basis of what I accept as ‘fact’ in regard to the Windsor family, much like any other form of entertainment/media. ;)2
i have really been enjoying Victoria
have you watched any of her ?
its a lot less frustrating because its quite a long time ago now
its lovelly to see her protayed as young not like the old grumpy looking satude we have in my home town

for completly frivolous entertainment with lots of bubbles and froth have you see the almost all fictitious a royal night out about Elizabeth and Margeret on VE day
its very joyish and good if you need some lovelly escapism although poor old Princess Margaret isnt portrayed very fairly as she was only about 14

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Queen has been in power since well before my birth. I would/will find it hard to have a King one day. I probably will never see King William. I have no opinions on it really. They work hard, but have little influence in Canada. I respect the work they do.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
The Queen has been in power since well before my birth. I would/will find it hard to have a King one day. I probably will never see King William. I have no opinions on it really. They work hard, but have little influence in Canada. I respect the work they do.
remember our Queen doesn't rule so she has very little if any power
she reigns
there is a big difference
i think its commonly referred to as democracy
i agree its going to be weird having a king
ive always felt quite enviouse of Canada because the royal family seem to really love visiting your country

sorry i dont mean to be picky
im just tired and cold and i bet its a lovelly sunny warm day in your part of Canada today

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for chiming I’m @telephone89 It is interesting to read an alternative perspective/opinion on the Windsor RF, as well as the contrasting unpopular RFs from other countries. Situations like the Governor General you more are what would concern me, as it would appear there are opportunities for misuse resulting in abuse of tax dollars, though to be fair, that happens with elected officials as well as appointed officials, it seems. I suppose the difference is, there seems to be more accountability when they are elected.
Yes, it definitely happens with elected officials as well! One of the biggest issues we were/are having is that none of these expenses are public. So maybe they were legitimate expenses ($1M 10 years after you've held the position? Unlikely but ok...), but it comes off extra shady when they are are kept private. That's of course not the RF directly, but being part of the commonwealth.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The thai RF has disbanded political parties they don't like, and citizens have been jailed for speaking out against them.
Who WOLDN'T talk when this is how the king dresses?!

fotorcreated4.jpg

4059B2D500000578-0-image-a-23_1494852229441.jpg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lot of great replies to this thread, which I appreciate. I guess I am still a little unclear though - for those who feel there is value - on the actual value the RF brings to you as a citizen. For example, “the economy is better because Prince Charles’ relationships & influence with ‘green’ technology solutions providers introduced much needed XYZ capabilities/improvements to London’s transportation system, and added X number of jobs.” Another example, historically speaking, was Princess Diana’s work with so many charities that highlighted humanitarian issues around globe, such as land mines and their victims. That one may not have a direct positive impact on Brits, but to the lives of those impacted, it was huge.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
A lot of great replies to this thread, which I appreciate. I guess I am still a little unclear though - for those who feel there is value - on the actual value the RF brings to you as a citizen. For example, “the economy is better because Prince Charles’ relationships & influence with ‘green’ technology solutions providers introduced much needed XYZ capabilities/improvements to London’s transportation system, and added X number of jobs.” Another example, historically speaking, was Princess Diana’s work with so many charities that highlighted humanitarian issues around globe, such as land mines and their victims. That one may not have a direct positive impact on Brits, but to the lives of those impacted, it was huge.
the royal family's philantry did not start and stop with Diana
have a google of the court citcular to see what they get up to
just some events are terrobly sexy enough for the tabloid trash
Sophie is a real trooper with her charities
she even drives herself to events
Camila does fantastic work with charities that support battered woman and old people, osteoporosis
not very glamouse
child literacy and cat and dog shelters
i was never a terribly big fan of her's but she has really quietly worked away at her charities quite diligently for years now
when she came here she visited the woman's prison that had a rehabilitation program ran by a community quilting group
on the news i saw she was really listening to the inmate's stories
Camila's next stop was the spca - she took a big bunch of quilts from the prison workshop to the homeless cats and dogs
on another tour i saw her sit down on the floor with kindergarten kids and eat cake with them
it must be vary frustrating for less popular/forgotten, less media savy and less photogenic members of the royal family who don't get the media saturation to be able to get more light on their charities
i must say (Sorry kate) but im not overly impresseed how this generation picks and chooses charities
take a look and see how many charities the Queen's elderly cousins have compaired to Meghan and Kate
i wouldn't go as far as saying its work shy but there is going to be a huge shortfall when the likes of the Queen's generation and then Princess Ann step back/ retire/ pass on and Charlie's role is going to completly change so Wills will have to really step up

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a Brit, the economic value to our country far outweighs the cost to us tax payers.

I personally don’t think the Queen will ever step aside in favour of Charles, I think she’ll be Queen till the day she dies, she has such a strong sense of duty. The only time people felt she made a mistake, was when Diana died, and she underestimated the public’s feelings.

She’s still very hardworking, and by all accounts very knowledgeable about world affairs.

I met her many years ago, she was Patron of the school DS went to, and I was introduced to her. She’s very small :lol:

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I’m not a great fan of Charles and find the idea of a younger monarch with a long reign a preferable option. I’m also aware, however, that once people start debating and questioning the line of succession then the entire principle of a monarchy becomes undermined. With an increase in republican sentiment in general, I can’t see the monarchy opening the door further by skipping past Charles.

I think this might be the article where the cost per taxpayer came from?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...fits-cost-meghan-markle-expense-a8345436.html

Like others have said, I like the idea that there’s an overarching ‘guard’ over the government, even if it’s only of theoretical use. It never hurts to have safeguards in place!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well of course I have a different opinion. When I was young I thought there was something magical or special about the British royal family, especially Elizabeth. There wasn't. BUT I think the British people who love her love "British Tradition" if I can segue for a second; isn't this why the Brits have Brexit? Tradition, the Brexiters want to go back to Rule Britannia, many British people do not like all the refugees who have moved to England, and I can hardly blame them because it's a disruption.

That all said, I think it's crazy to bow to a person, or curtsey, I bow to no one (except my mom and Dad and they're dead and they would never have asked me to anyway). The taxpayers of Great Britain pay ooodles of money for people of an old class style of life. If I were British I would be appalled at the antics of Prince Charles and his current wife prior to Princess Diana's death. The monarchy died then and there. The British class system is slowly declining but determining that a person is better than I am because their Great granny the Dutchess of Wiggletooth or some such nonsense had a an affair with one of the Henry's or some crazy thing like that. I can never understand people who are 'born' better than others, that's my big problem with the monarchy in any country.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think of how much good Prince Harry does with wounded soldiers, raising awareness of mental health issues, and the Invictus Games, and it's hard to think that there is no value added. And Diana's work with AIDS and landmines. And Prince William's work with homelessness. And even Charles' projects (he is deeply committed to environmentalism from what I've heard). I also suspect that they all engage in charitable causes behind the scenes, because this seems to be the way that they are all raised and expected to be. It also brings me some intangible comfort to have a monarchy. I have grown up with the Queen on the back of all of my coins, on my stamps, and as a symbol of unity across the commonwealth. It's a little too bad that doesn't translate into open immigration policies between commonwealth members (sorry - I'm still a bit galled to realize that in our mid 40's, my husband and I would be considered too old to be allowed to move to Australia, despite the level of education and economy boosting willingness to spend money on consumer goods that we would both bring), but it still makes me feel connected in some small way. Grounded in history too tracing back a thousand years or more.

I do agree with the complaints about our Governor Generals. I have long wondered what value there is in appointing self-important former CBC journalists to government positions (Pamela Wallin, Mike Duffy, Adrienne Clarkson and Michelle Jean I am looking at all of you!). Is it just to get them off the air? (seriously, Adrienne Clarkson was so bad and so self-important, that my husband and I used to joke about that when she was appointed Governor General). It would make more sense if it was a British official too, given that the role was originally one of oversight on behalf of the Queen.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't answer the initial question as I am American, but I do enjoy reading and watching shows about the royal family just because of the historical basis. I see pictures constantly of all the charitable work they do. I have respect for Queen Elizabeth and I think William and Kate are will be excellent as future king and queen. We could certainly use a dose of their decorum here.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results