shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring setting suggestions for 3.2 carat old cut P/Q colour diamond

cacaobeanie

Rough_Rock
I just purchased this necklace at auction and plan to use the large diamond as my engagement ring stone. I would appreciate any suggestions for what kind of setting it would suit, I prefer yellow gold and would want to accentuate the colour of the diamond somehow. Would white or yellow side stones help to do this? I am not keen on bezel settings but am open to any other ideas.

Thank you!

75B08B11-63B1-43FE-A26C-8DD872647E0C.jpeg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!
Have you received this yet? I’d love to see more pictures. On the neck or just laid out on your hand. Side profile to see the stone crowns? You know - eye candy! Stats too!

What kind of ring are you imagining - what’s your style?

I believe icy white stones will accentuate the color - and as the owner of a three stone with 18k yellow victorian replica setting with very cupped (close to the stone pavilion ) crown baskets - this type of setting that has plenty of 18k yellow close to the pavilion and girdle definitely accentuates color.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
First of all- GORGEOUS!!!

I'm not the one to be able to suggest a setting for you, since there are many more creative and artistic minds with lots of experience here. But I will say to be prepared for it not to appear as yellow irl compared to the pic. I have a 3+ ct O-P and I have noticed it definitely looks much more white to my eye than it does in pictures in most lighting.

It is wonderful that you prefer yellow gold, because it will look amazing set in it! I'm excited for this project!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mrs_Strizzle
It would be very interesting to see how your lovely o-p’s faceting pattern compares color perception wise face up to side view vs how @cacaobeanie does with the faceting style it has, face up to side view.
Doesn’t mean much- but it gets me curious!

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
@Mrs_Strizzle
It would be very interesting to see how your lovely o-p’s faceting pattern compares color perception wise face up to side view vs how @cacaobeanie does with the faceting style it has, face up to side view.
Doesn’t mean much- but it gets me curious!

@Rfisher I have pictures that LAD had on her website that show it much better than my sorry photography skills, but idk if that is tacky to share??

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rfisher I have pictures that LAD had on her website that show it much better than my sorry photography skills, but idk if that is tacky to share??
Not tacky at all imo - share away!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just purchased this necklace at auction and plan to use the large diamond as my engagement ring stone. I would appreciate any suggestions for what kind of setting it would suit, I prefer yellow gold and would want to accentuate the colour of the diamond somehow. Would white or yellow side stones help to do this? I am not keen on bezel settings but am open to any other ideas.

Thank you!

75B08B11-63B1-43FE-A26C-8DD872647E0C.jpeg

OH MY GOODNESS! This is such a wow necklace and that large stone looks beautiful. I love that delicate bezel it’s in already but do agree that some deep YG around it and some icy white side stones should help it pop.
Will you post some more pictures when you get it?

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Here are images from LAD with it face up and side view of my O-P colored diamond, so you can see the difference the faceting makes to hide the color. (Hope this doesn't appear as a thread Jack! :???: IMG_8340.jpg 20171216_095445.jpg 20171216_095439.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uhhhh what are you doing with that top diamond? That’s the one that calls out to me. *grabby hands*

Looks like a great buy. Beautiful antique stones. I don’t have any setting suggestions right now but it’ll be amazing.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Grabby Hands :lol:
Thought the same!

it will be interesting to see how the facet pattern differs, if any, to how the color is perceived face up. Not scientific- but interesting. Thanks for including your pics @Mrs_Strizzle

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Uhhhh what are you doing with that top diamond? That’s the one that calls out to me. *grabby hands*

Yep, me too! What size is the top stone? It’s really pretty. Do you have plans for that too? A suite re-made from the original pendant would be lovely.

White side stones or a halo would definitely help to highlight the colour. But what’s your finger size? If the large stone is already 3+ carats by itself you’ll need a fair amount of finger width or to tilt/angle the side stones if you have small fingers!

cacaobeanie

Rough_Rock
Wow!
Have you received this yet? I’d love to see more pictures. On the neck or just laid out on your hand. Side profile to see the stone crowns? You know - eye candy! Stats too!

What kind of ring are you imagining - what’s your style?

I believe icy white stones will accentuate the color - and as the owner of a three stone with 18k yellow victorian replica setting with very cupped (close to the stone pavilion ) crown baskets - this type of setting that has plenty of 18k yellow close to the pavilion and girdle definitely accentuates color.

I just bought it today at an online auction so sadly have to wait a couple of days for it to be posted, I cant wait! I will post pics when I have it in hand.

Icy white stones are a good idea. I’m not really imagining anything specific at the moment which is why I’m fishing for ideas on here. There are too many options!

Do you have a pic of your ring setting you mentioned? It sounds lovely.

cacaobeanie

Rough_Rock
OH MY GOODNESS! This is such a wow necklace and that large stone looks beautiful. I love that delicate bezel it’s in already but do agree that some deep YG around it and some icy white side stones should help it pop.
Will you post some more pictures when you get it?

Thank you, yes I’ll be sure to post pics when I receive it in a couple of days :)

cacaobeanie

Rough_Rock
Here are images from LAD with it face up and side view of my O-P colored diamond, so you can see the difference the faceting makes to hide the color. (Hope this doesn't appear as a thread Jack! :???: IMG_8340.jpg 20171216_095445.jpg 20171216_095439.jpg

Wow your ring is stunning! :kiss2:
Thanks for sharing. And it does look much whiter than I thought an O/P would be, but saying that I’ve never actually seen one in real life. Does it change in different lighting?

cacaobeanie

Rough_Rock

Looks like a great buy. Beautiful antique stones. I don’t have any setting suggestions right now but it’ll be amazing.

I like the look of that one too but want a larger stone for my e-ring. I’m not sure if I’ll keep it as a pendant or maybe have it set into a ring and sell it on. Will have to see it in person before I decide.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know there are several users who have O/P stones set in rose or yellow gold with white stone halls and then the O/P looks very creamy/antique lace color compared to the bright white. I’m on my phone so it’s hard to search but if nobody else has posted them by the time I get home, I’ll link the threads.

cacaobeanie

Rough_Rock
Yep, me too! What size is the top stone? It’s really pretty. Do you have plans for that too? A suite re-made from the original pendant would be lovely.

White side stones or a halo would definitely help to highlight the colour. But what’s your finger size? If the large stone is already 3+ carats by itself you’ll need a fair amount of finger width or to tilt/angle the side stones if you have small fingers!

The top stone is approx 1.2 carats, I may keep it as a pendant or sell it on.

Hmm I have long skinny fingers, size i 1/2 in U.K. or I think 4.25? I do like a lot of finger coverage though! But thanks for pointing that out, I’ve not had such a large stone before so wouldn’t have thought about it.

cacaobeanie

Rough_Rock
I know there are several users who have O/P stones set in rose or yellow gold with white stone halls and then the O/P looks very creamy/antique lace color compared to the bright white. I’m on my phone so it’s hard to search but if nobody else has posted them by the time I get home, I’ll link the threads.

That would be great thanks if you could find the links, I’ve had a browse but didn’t come across a lot of lower coloured stones.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium

here’s one thread to start you off!
:kiss2:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium

E17C008F-901C-4D4A-98B2-81A8A35D6A78.jpeg
im not sure if this setting is still available from her- but its lovely to look at, and a good example of yellow gold hugging a stone.

And here is pics of mine showing the profile - I’m positive the gold color accentuates the stone color some in this particular setting. Same ring in my avitar.
4C035581-3B23-48AE-80DB-902B26E5FE9D.jpeg

Q

Queenie60

72189439-62E9-4D81-8642-517FA42ADFF9_1_105_c.jpeg This is my Q OEC set in a yellow gold cup with a platinum Halo. Just a a view of what a warm stone can look like with yellow gold and platinum. Your stones are beautiful. Look forward to seeing what you do with them.

cacaobeanie

Rough_Rock

E17C008F-901C-4D4A-98B2-81A8A35D6A78.jpeg
im not sure if this setting is still available from her- but its lovely to look at, and a good example of yellow gold hugging a stone.

And here is pics of mine showing the profile - I’m positive the gold color accentuates the stone color some in this particular setting. Same ring in my avitar.
4C035581-3B23-48AE-80DB-902B26E5FE9D.jpeg

Beautiful. And it’s funny how the colour looks so different depending on the lighting/angle. I never would have guessed that was the same ring from your avatar. But it looks gorgeous in both.

cacaobeanie

Rough_Rock
72189439-62E9-4D81-8642-517FA42ADFF9_1_105_c.jpeg This is my Q OEC set in a yellow gold cup with a platinum Halo. Just a a view of what a warm stone can look like with yellow gold and platinum. Your stones are beautiful. Look forward to seeing what you do with them.

Wow, that is one stunning ring. I really like the contrast of the yellow gold and platinum which isn’t something I would have considered but your ring is amazing! Do you have any face up photos?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I can’t wait to see where this project takes you - I’m sure it will be stunning as well!
I don’t mean to blurr the two subjects of body color face up vs side view and yellow gold accentuating the body color in face up view.
Those are two totally different subjects.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like other above, I'd spend some time looking at setting to get some ideas of your style. Antique setting feel right with a stone like this by Erica at LAD put her own personal stone in a very contemporary semi-bezel. So, no rules.

Also, you could use the two smaller OECs as side stones. If you really want to play up the color, you can cup the center and not the sides. Use yellow prongs on the center and not on the sides.

You mentioned not loving bezel settings. Many antique diamonds have thin girdles subject to damaged.So, you may need protection. Also, as they are already bezel set, it is possible they already have some damage that the bezel covered/protected. You won't know until the bezel is removed. I would have the stone carefully examined by a old diamond expert to be sure you have clarity on what is needed to keep these lovlies - lovely for another 100 years.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
This piece itself is truly amazing!!! Such a lucky find and win, huge congrats! Me too wants me that top stone. But the bottom will make a stunning ring as well. Huge congrats!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Im with you and I really dont like bezel set, but I love antique and it's hard to find antiques that arent set low or in a bezel.

What about something like this in yellow gold? With all the extra prongs it might make the yellow really pop.

10 prong.jpg

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have an antique Marquise cut o/p color that I had set in a gold cup which enhanced the yellow tone, my side stones are white. With your setting I would use the two bottom white diamonds as well for side stones instead of sourcing them, Such an exciting piece

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My stone is a 3.2 ct OMC too. The setting is 18kt yellow gold. I'm sure your ring will be fabulous!

632717 649777

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results