shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring buying has turned me into a neurotic mess!

rubysweettart

Shiny_Rock
This is my first post, feel free to flag it if it's not in the right section. Thanks!

So I'm about to get a bit weird and neurotic here! And I'm wordy so feel free to ignore my rambling!

July was my 10 year wedding anniversary and 13 total years together anniversary (same day), I got a bee in my bonnet that I wanted a new wedding set. I wanted a sapphire, I like vintage, and I was also having major feelings about my current wedding ring. My wedding ring is pretty but it was several sizes too small and I am horribly allergic to it so I hadn't worn it in about 8 years. (I did get it resized, redipped, and coated with something to help minimize the allergic reactions so we are falling in love with each other again - my ring and I, I have always loved hubby).

So I found PS and wedding boards and started pouring over pictures of ring sets and trying to figure out what I wanted, I sent tons of inquiries to jewelry shops, got close to buying a few, watched a few get bought out from under me, and I knew in my heart I did not want a clear diamond set that looked like everyone else's. I also knew I could not afford a nice sapphire ring with my budget and I wasn't loving the Shane Co and Jared options I saw in person. I started to go the custom route with a jeweler I know but it was still not cheap and I would have had to use a lab stone which bugged the crap out of hubby who is very weird about this stuff. My diamond had to be clean, emerald cut, and he was very picky about it but..... show him a picture of natural gem silica and he says it's shame anyone would cut it up for jewelry! He likes natural stones more than jewels!

So I found Loupe Troop through PS, where I found a gray diamond ring by CVB that was in my budget, and it had sold but Caysie offered to make me one for the same amazing price. So I promptly ordered it (promptly meaning stared at it for several days before telling DH about it and ordering it). Then DH and I made some changes, one of the changes he wanted didn't work out but I was pretty happy with it. But now..... the wait is killing me! I spend a lot of time lurking here wondering if I made the right choice. I tell myself it had everything on my list: bezel set, engraving, unique setting, unique stone (gray, pear shaped, rose cut diamond that flashes pink), mixed metal.... so why do I have this awful anxiety that while I wait for it, I am falling out of love with it? I don't doubt her work, she's amazing and she went to the same art school my husband did. I know so many people here are happy with their custom work. Does anyone else get this "what if..." anxiety during the wait? Maybe it's because I have never seen it on a hand, didn't see the stone in person, I just don't know....

I also had a sizing freak out but it was too late to change the size which I'm ok with but I feel like I somehow stressed out Caysie or offended her by asking but I'm so new at this and I feel like I'm bumbling along, I'm much more Mr Bean in this process than Elizabeth Taylor. Thanks for reading if you made it this far!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my first post, feel free to flag it if it's not in the right section. Thanks!

So I'm about to get a bit weird and neurotic here! And I'm wordy so feel free to ignore my rambling!

July was my 10 year wedding anniversary and 13 total years together anniversary (same day), I got a bee in my bonnet that I wanted a new wedding set. I wanted a sapphire, I like vintage, and I was also having major feelings about my current wedding ring. My wedding ring is pretty but it was several sizes too small and I am horribly allergic to it so I hadn't worn it in about 8 years. (I did get it resized, redipped, and coated with something to help minimize the allergic reactions so we are falling in love with each other again - my ring and I, I have always loved hubby).

So I found PS and wedding boards and started pouring over pictures of ring sets and trying to figure out what I wanted, I sent tons of inquiries to jewelry shops, got close to buying a few, watched a few get bought out from under me, and I knew in my heart I did not want a clear diamond set that looked like everyone else's. I also knew I could not afford a nice sapphire ring with my budget and I wasn't loving the Shane Co and Jared options I saw in person. I started to go the custom route with a jeweler I know but it was still not cheap and I would have had to use a lab stone which bugged the crap out of hubby who is very weird about this stuff. My diamond had to be clean, emerald cut, and he was very picky about it but..... show him a picture of natural gem silica and he says it's shame anyone would cut it up for jewelry! He likes natural stones more than jewels!

So I found Loupe Troop through PS, where I found a gray diamond ring by CVB that was in my budget, and it had sold but Caysie offered to make me one for the same amazing price. So I promptly ordered it (promptly meaning stared at it for several days before telling DH about it and ordering it). Then DH and I made some changes, one of the changes he wanted didn't work out but I was pretty happy with it. But now..... the wait is killing me! I spend a lot of time lurking here wondering if I made the right choice. I tell myself it had everything on my list: bezel set, engraving, unique setting, unique stone (gray, pear shaped, rose cut diamond that flashes pink), mixed metal.... so why do I have this awful anxiety that while I wait for it, I am falling out of love with it? I don't doubt her work, she's amazing and she went to the same art school my husband did. I know so many people here are happy with their custom work. Does anyone else get this "what if..." anxiety during the wait? Maybe it's because I have never seen it on a hand, didn't see the stone in person, I just don't know....

I also had a sizing freak out but it was too late to change the size which I'm ok with but I feel like I somehow stressed out Caysie or offended her by asking but I'm so new at this and I feel like I'm bumbling along, I'm much more Mr Bean in this process than Elizabeth Taylor. Thanks for reading if you made it this far!

Caysie does amazing work, so I am sure it will be amazing (she did my asscher!) If on the off chance you hate it, her stuff tends to see quickly on the second hand market.

Relax, it’s going to be fabulous

rubysweettart

Shiny_Rock
Caysie does amazing work, so I am sure it will be amazing (she did my asscher!) If on the off chance you hate it, her stuff tends to see quickly on the second hand market.

Relax, it’s going to be fabulous

Thank you Whitewave! I am probably going to love it! I just keep seeing so many other pretty things that I keep second guessing myself but I need to trust my gut.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s understandable that you are nervous about this since you had problems with your first set. It sounds like a unique and special diamond in a beautiful setting so I think once you and your DH see it in person you will love it. Agree that the waiting is super hard so hope you get it soon.

rubysweettart

Shiny_Rock
Thank you @kgizo! It's actually quite incredible how much better I feel since I let it all out here. It seems like a genuinely good group of people here and I'm still a little shy to jump in on conversations but hoping to get over that. And I will share pics when I get it! Caysie said before the end of October so now I'll be checking my emails a hundred times a day since we're getting into the second half of October.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you will be both spellbound and gobsmacked when your stunning ring from CvB arrives, especially if you’ve been looking at Jared jewellery!
I mean, there’s no comparison.
If Jared was a Ford car, CvB is a Ferrari!
If you have poured over others photos you’ll have seen just how beautifully and perfectly detailed her work is. Her pieces are literally “works of Art”.
But the waiting sucks.
So don’t worry, sit tight, it will be amazing.
And we will all be waiting to see photos - please.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try not to worry! Your ring is going to be gorgeous! Bron is right, it's going to be SO much better than what you've looked at in jewelry stores. It's natural to be apprehensive but I'm confident you're going to love it. It sounds amazing. I know the waiting is torturous. I can't wait to see it! :dance:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy 10th anniversary!!! And don't worry, you will be thrilled with your new ring! Sending you blingy happy vibes and cannot wait to see your beautiful new ring. :appl:

And haha we also got married the same date of our first date.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deep breath! Congrats on 10 years and on new bling, custom is a definite process for us and them but your ring will be beautiful, it's normal to have jitters since it's a major purchase marking a major event.

rubysweettart

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the kind words! The wait is definitely torture! Thank god I'm not the only one who feels that way.

@Bron357 I love the car analogy!

I can't wait to get my rings so I can share and gush! I'm sure they'll be spectacular.... I'm just learning to have patience right now and to trust that my gut was right when it said, "This is it!" I'm grateful I actually decided to join in instead of lurking, you guys are wonderful and I appreciate the encouragement.

rubysweettart

Shiny_Rock
Many, many, many more purchases

We visited family in Prague last year and I bought 3 rings then I hit up the 40% off sale at a local pawn shop the day after Christmas and found a cheap ruby band and a blue diamond engagement ring (the ruby band might actually be a find). So that was 5 rings in a 3 month span.... I already have a problem! If anything, I think Pricescope might make me pickier which isn't a bad thing or at least I can pretend I am buying as a more knowledgeable connoisseur. I don't think I'll ever have a fraction of the knowledge people here have but it's fun learning! :lol:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
We are all lovely friendly people here but be warned, hanging around Pricescope usually leads to more gem and jewellery purchases :lol:

I am proof of this, and I’m sure it is contagious! Hopefully, there will never be a cure!

rubysweettart

Shiny_Rock
A little, teeny, silly part of me is thinking, if it's done tomorrow (I know it's a LONG shot!) and she ships 2 day FedEx.... it will arrive on the 19th which I am pretty sure is the anniversary of the day my hubby popped the question. I know it's not likely but a girl can dream.

@missy I forgot to reply that you're the ONLY person I know whose also gotten married on the anniversary of the day they met! How special!

As a side note: I noticed people don't use pics of themselves in their avatars. Is this not done because you're posting pics of expensive items and don't want them linked to you? Just curious! Thanks!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I forgot to reply that you're the ONLY person I know whose also gotten married on the anniversary of the day they met! How special!

As a side note: I noticed people don't use pics of themselves in their avatars. Is this not done because you're posting pics of expensive items and don't want them linked to you? Just curious! Thanks!

Aww thanks, we felt it was very romantic and you are also the only couple we "know" that did this!

As for the avatars it varies. I think some people do use photos of themselves though using their bling or fur babies are more popular an option. I can only speak for myself and the reason I use my sweet furbaby and not a photo of me is that she is way more photogenic. And I figure if PSers have to see my avatar everytime I post they should see something attractive.:kiss:

A little, teeny, silly part of me is thinking, if it's done tomorrow (I know it's a LONG shot!) and she ships 2 day FedEx.... it will arrive on the 19th which I am pretty sure is the anniversary of the day my hubby popped the question. I know it's not likely but a girl can dream.

@rubysweettart I hope it arrives on the 19th on the anniversary of your proposal! Sending you good luck dust!!!!:appl:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I'm so in love with your Toi et Moi ring in your avatar!
Thank you! Naturally that will transfer to your new jewel. I can’t wait to drool over your CvB bling! Everyone will want a million pictures, get your camera or phone emptied out to fill it back up.... that’s also a thing that PSers do!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! Naturally that will transfer to your new jewel. I can’t wait to drool over your CvB bling! Everyone will want a million pictures, get your camera or phone emptied out to fill it back up.... that’s also a thing that PSers do!

LOL I am about to buy a whole new phone because all the storage is used up and I have already deleted what I could part with...and my computer is now giving me warnings also about very little storage space left...oh no! I just got the computer a few months ago I think...how did this happen.:lol:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
LOL I am about to buy a whole new phone because all the storage is used up and I have already deleted what I could part with...and my computer is now giving me warnings also about very little storage space left...oh no! I just got the computer a few months ago I think...how did this happen.:lol:
Have you tried your gmail storage? You can upload photos - sometimes there is unlimited for free, depending on your account! My MacBook is stuffed so I turned to google for help!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you tried your gmail storage? You can upload photos - sometimes there is unlimited for free, depending on your account! My MacBook is stuffed so I turned to google for help!

Thank you for your rec @InsecureSweetGirl! I am hopeless with technology and will ask my dh if he has done this for me yet. LOL I am driving him crazy. We uploaded everything to the cloud whatever that is and still I am full. My computer is relatively new too and we got the max storage but I think I am now going to have to get another MacBook pro because my MacBook air does not have enough storage. But I prefer the Air as it is lighter but something has got to give. ::)

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Missy I feel your pain! However, you can inexpensively get an external hard drive to offload your stuff, and that’s a lot easier than getting a new Mac! I’ve always done that. Curious, what do other PSers do for this problem?

Sorry for the thread jack @rubysweettart pls forgive

rubysweettart

Shiny_Rock
Thread hijacks are welcome! Anything to stop me from hitting refresh on my email in hopes that I'll see it's completed. I just got bad news at work so this distraction is nice. And I need to read up on how to photograph my rings, I am terrible at it; so this is a good reminder.

rubysweettart

Shiny_Rock
If I had a question about metal (not related to this ring), where is the best place to post it? It seems like this section is quieter compared to other sections....

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I had a question about metal (not related to this ring), where is the best place to post it? It seems like this section is quieter compared to other sections....
post it to RockyTalky (even if it’s not about a rock) - that gets the most traffic

rubysweettart

Shiny_Rock
Thank you @foxinsox ! I didn't know how strict they were about that.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @foxinsox ! I didn't know how strict they were about that.
I hope pretty relaxed! It’s the best place to put most questions/gets the most traffic and if it’s not, people will be able to say where is better ;)2

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock

While it wasn't the anniversary of the day we met because that was 27 years prior in junior high :mrgreen2:, my hubby and I got married on the anniversary we said I love you for the first time.:love: So maybe it's a PS thing. Or maybe we PSers just tend to be a pretty romantic bunch!

rubysweettart

Shiny_Rock
@Mrs_Strizzle That's so romantic!!!!!

I wish I could be all gushy but I was one of those "Happy 6 month anniversary!" girls and my husband put his foot down and said, "You get ONE day! Just one! I'm not remembering more than one date or buying presents every month." So that's a major reason why we got married on the day we met. Plus it fell on a Saturday just under 2 years from getting engaged so it fell into place well. We decided to "commit" to each other on his birthday two weeks later, even though we hadn't dated anyone else since our first date, and he wasn't having that as our anniversary date.

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
Any update on getting your ring? After reading your thread I’m as anxious as anything waiting to see it!

Btw, I do think we PSers are a romantic bunch. My hubby and I got married on the anniversary of our first date too! And it was Christmas which makes it easy all the way around to remember lol.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results