shape
carat
color
clarity

Returned my WF ACA H&A I colored Diamond

JT123

Shiny_Rock
I got my new 1.32 ACA H&A appraised (appraiser is listed here on Pricescope has all the creditals https://www.pricescope.com/appraisers?state=california) The appraiser said my diamond definitely is more of a J color. I can see a warmish tint, very subtle. I didn't realize there is a borderline/on the fence with color grading & a gemological tolerance of one color grade possible between even the top labs (GIA and AGSL).

I decided to return my diamond and this time bump up the color to H heck might as well bump up the size too so looking at 1.6 carat +. I currently have this on hold https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4018632.htm
but now I'm wondering if I should go for a higher color? This one does have a smaller table but still falls under the H&A AGS Ideal etc https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4013665.htm

I currently have a F colored diamond. Although it is just a VG cut with a clariity of VS1, I think having a diamond with a tint will bug me after awhile. I'm surprised by this, having spent sooo much time looking at H&A Ideal I and even J colored stones in person- in sunlight, away from the bright lights etc and did not think it would be a deal breaker.

I even considered going for a J with closer to 2 carat but worried the tint would get to me after awhile! I read that in higher carat stones the tint is so much more noticeable.UGH I guess I'm one of the unlucky ones who value higher colors

Last edited:

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Have a consultant at WF pull stones with specs that interest you. They will eyeball them on color and even take photographs from the side with a white background. When I was shopping, I chose a “high” I vs a “low” I based on their recommendation.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I got my new 1.32 ACA H&A appraised (appraiser is listed here on Pricescope has all the creditals https://www.pricescope.com/appraisers?state=california) The appraiser said my diamond definitely is more of a J color. I can see a warmish tint, very subtle. I didn't realize there is a borderline/on the fence with color grading & a gemological tolerance of one color grade possible between even the top labs (GIA and AGSL).

I decided to return my diamond and this time bump up the color to H heck might as well bump up the size too so looking at 1.6 carat +. I currently have this on hold https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4018632.htm
but now I'm wondering if I should go for a higher color? This one does have a smaller table but still falls under the H&A AGS Ideal etc https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4013665.htm

I currently have a F colored diamond. Although it is just a VG cut with a clariity of VS1, I think having a diamond with a tint will bug me after awhile. I'm surprised by this, having spent sooo much time looking at H&A Ideal I and even J colored stones in person- in sunlight, away from the bright lights etc and did not think it would be a deal breaker.

I even considered going for a J with closer to 2 carat but worried the tint would get to me after awhile! I read that in higher carat stones the tint is so much more noticeable.UGH I guess I'm one of the unlucky ones who value higher colors

I like what @Tophat1 said about asking a rep to compare some stones for you.

Also, unless you are planning on upgrading again, and if you “think a diamond with a tint will bug” you after awhile, I would suggest leaning towards whichever choice has a higher colour. If you have an F and compare it to an H side-by-side, you will likely see the difference. If you had nothing to compare with the H side-by-side, maybe it would face up white enough for you. Just something to think about ... it’s a lot harder to see tint in a diamond that is not next to another diamond with a higher colour.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
AGS is softer on color grade than GIA. I owned a GIA graded G, then traded it in on an upgrade to a larger AGS 000 F. And I see a creaminess in the AGS F that definitely the GIA G didn't have. I'd say if your old diamond was GIA F, then you might have to bump up one color grade in AGS to compensate for both a larger diamond concentrating the tint and possibly AGS grading softer. It's just a thought.

JT123

Shiny_Rock
AGS is softer on color grade than GIA. I owned a GIA graded G, then traded it in on an upgrade to a larger AGS 000 F. And I see a creaminess in the AGS F that definitely the GIA G didn't have. I'd say if your old diamond was GIA F, then you might have to bump up one color grade in AGS to compensate for both a larger diamond concentrating the tint and possibly AGS grading softer. It's just a thought.
Yes !this is what I’m thinking too. My appraiser actually worked with AGS and told me the same-AGS is softer in color than GIA(.I know not everyone agrees on that)!

JT123

Shiny_Rock
Have a consultant at WF pull stones with specs that interest you. They will eyeball them on color and even take photographs from the side with a white background. When I was shopping, I chose a “high” I vs a “low” I based on their recommendation.
Thank you I will do that. Great advice

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Seeing tint and caring about it are two different things. You can’t change the first, but you can change the second if you really want to.

JT123

Shiny_Rock
Seeing tint and caring about it are two different things. You can’t change the first, but you can change the second if you really want to.
I can see the tint, and I don't like it. Prefer higher colors, didn't think it would bug me but it does. As others pointed out, AGS does grade more soft so I think I should stick with a minimum of G (or higher color H?)

JT123

Shiny_Rock
It’s been my experience that this is easier said than done.
I think if I didn't already have a F color diamond to compare it to (which I'm keeping) it probably wouldn't bug me at all.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have four F-colored CBIs and a Q-colored CBI (yes a Q as in Queen). The Q is definitely tinted and it doesn't bug me at all, in fact I rather like it in its halo.

Prior to PS, I have a F pear (e-ring), a F marquise (RHR), and an E marquise (pendant)

To the OP, if you ask PSers what color to buy, you are going to get answers all over the board. Only you can decide what color feels right to you. Buy what your eyes love, not what we like.

Last edited:

headlight

Ideal_Rock
If you currently have an F, you should not go lower than that or you will be disappointed. And if you have a GIA F, you will need to be sure that an AGS F will be comparable.
What is your concern with the 55.8% table?
Yes, the larger the diamond, the more evident the color.

TimMD

Shiny_Rock
I say buy the biggest D/IF that you can afford, then there is no concern what your appraiser or friends think of the report. This comes from the prior owner of 2 super ideal Ds and am super ecstatic all the same with my G and H. Only you know what you love or what has too much "tint". Good luck in your search.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have four F-colored CBIs and a Q-colored CBI (yes a Q as in Queen). The Q is definitely tinted and it doesn't bug me at all, in fact I rather like it in its halo.

Prior to PS, I have a F pear (e-ring), a F marquise (RHR), and an E marquise (pendant)

To the OP, if you ask PSers what color to buy, you are going to get answers all over the board. Only you can decide what color feels right to you. Buy what your eyes love, not what we like.
@cflutist I'm curious how your CBI Fs compare to your F pear and marquise, colorwise? I assume your F pear and marquise are GIA certified?

Pimberly

Rough_Rock
I bought an I and am very color sensitive and can easily see the tint from the side. Surprisingly, it doesn’t really bother me, though. I don’t see the diamond from that angle very often. And getting it in my head that colorless doesn’t actually equal higher quality was helpful and allowed me to get a bigger diamond. I think I’m happier with the size than I would have been with no color. If money were no object, I’d go with colorless, though, because why not. ;)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results