shape
carat
color
clarity

Resizing an Emerald Ring?

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

I am inheriting an emerald ring that is very special to me.
It has an emerald centre approx 4mm square, surrounded by a small diamond halo, on a plain yellow gold band.
It's far too small for me, approx size 3-4.

I will be getting it resized and would prefer to wear it on a middle finger which is size 7, but am concerned that sizing up this much might put strain on the emerald and maybe crack or damage it? Can this happen?

My other option is to size it for my ring finger which is a size 5.75-6. I'd rather not do this though as everyone will think I'm engaged! Also in the future I'd like to be able to wear an engagement ring and this one both at once on the same hand.

What would you advise?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well if it’s in a bezel, you cannot remove it without destroying the bezel. I would take it to a jeweler that understands the delicate nature of emeralds, and won’t put it in an ultrasonic cleaner!!! Can you wear it on your pinky???

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
It's not bezel set, it has prongs.
How do I know whether the jeweller understands? What questions should I ask?

Good idea but I'm not a pinky ring person, I'd also be extra scared of banging it if it was sitting on the edge of my hand like that.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone,

I am inheriting an emerald ring that is very special to me.
It has an emerald centre approx 4mm square, surrounded by a small diamond halo, on a plain yellow gold band.
It's far too small for me, approx size 3-4.

I will be getting it resized and would prefer to wear it on a middle finger which is size 7, but am concerned that sizing up this much might put strain on the emerald and maybe crack or damage it? Can this happen?

My other option is to size it for my ring finger which is a size 5.75-6. I'd rather not do this though as everyone will think I'm engaged! Also in the future I'd like to be able to wear an engagement ring and this one both at once on the same hand.

What would you advise?
I love pinky rings and i never thought i would but i too would be worried about knocking it

I had my mum's emerald ring sized up for my ring finger because i was too scared to go up any more
I wear it on my left hand even though me and him are not married or engaged as my right hand is full up

Its my hand to do what i want and who cares what my sister in law thinks !
The ring im really worried about is my channel set emerald for my index finger, ive already had it sized down and its still loose
Its a summer ring for sure

Good luck with your ring, ask amoung your friends, family and workmates, im sure someone will recomend a good jewler who will be able to help
Start by looking for manufacturing jewlers - where a couple of people are out the back creating someone's dreams, not the mall

I found mine in the yellow pages
When i went in he took one look at mum's ring and called his assistant over
He recognised whose work it was and had trained with him
I thought well ok, this is a sign it will be ok
And it was

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not bezel set, it has prongs.
How do I know whether the jeweller understands? What questions should I ask?

Good idea but I'm not a pinky ring person, I'd also be extra scared of banging it if it was sitting on the edge of my hand like that.

Sorry, I had bezel on my brain. I don’t know where you live, but it may be difficult to find a jeweler who knows how to work with colored stones. Maybe someone can recommend a jeweler you can send it to.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably depends if the stones are set within the shank, integrated into the ring, or set more like a peg head. Can you post a picture? You could have it reshanked where they actually cut off half or more of the shank and put a new, larger one on. Again, depends on how the ring is constructed.

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone.

Probably depends if the stones are set within the shank, integrated into the ring, or set more like a peg head. Can you post a picture? You could have it reshanked where they actually cut off half or more of the shank and put a new, larger one on. Again, depends on how the ring is constructed.

I don't have it yet (the will has to go through the official process, I'm not sure of the details) but when I get it I'll resurrect this thread and post a picture.

megthered

Rough_Rock
I have my grandmother's emerald ring that is over 100 years old sized up and sized down twice. I take it to a jeweler in my city that specializes in colored stones. He is very careful and does beautiful work. That would be my biggest concern, that the jeweler has experience with emeralds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results