shape
carat
color
clarity

RHR bigger than E-ring, would you do it?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Hiya friends! Would you ever have a diamond RHR/cocktail that's bigger than your e-ring? Just curious.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It would depend on the rings of course, but yes, definitely.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Why not? But I also am not one to upgrade my original engagement ring.

snowballs mom

Shiny_Rock
I would, but the color and clarity would have to be lower to keep my husband happy...

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely! Many folks have smaller erings due to life circumstances at the time. No need to make that limit what you wear.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, I have a bigger rhr. DH is attached to the ering, so no upgrade but a bigger ring for the other hand. Win/win

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
ETA: Would you do it purposefully/by choice? Ie. If the RHR's came first, and the e-ring came second, and you could afford to go bigger than the RHR?

I like small and big alike. I find small to be more 'wearable' and comfortable because smaller rings can sit lower. I have two blingy RHR's in the 1.5 ct range (one is being made right now in case you caught my other RT thread)...I like the idea of a smaller and very low set e-ring that will be comfortable for 24/7. But, I'm a little worried I'll have e-ring DSS. Do you think I'd come to regret getting a smaller e-ring? Or will I just pop on a big RHR if/when I feel DSS?

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends on the style. Yes if it's obviously a RHR. No if it looks too much like an e-ring. Don't ask me to define what looks more like a RHR vs an E-ring - it's one of those I know it when I see it kind of things.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 2.2 ct rhr being made and have no intention of having an Ering bigger than that. :)

At least not for now

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I would wear a larger RHR. I can relate to what you're saying about maybe a smaller ering that you can wear almost anywhere due to its size
and then a larger RHR when you're feeling DSS or want to bling it out. I honestly cant tell you if you'll feel disappointed in not having the ering larger
or not. My ering is a 1.08 pear. Not large by PS standards but on the larger size in my neck of the woods. I also have a 1.4 ctw 7 stone. I wear the
7 stone a lot instead of my pear just because it seems more casual and wearable to me.

Swirl68

Shiny_Rock
I thought cocktail rings were always bigger. That’s not the norm?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I have a 2.2 ct rhr being made and have no intention of having an Ering bigger than that. :)

At least not for now

L-o-v-e your progress pics and can't wait to see it!

I thought cocktail rings were always bigger. That’s not the norm?
I agree, cocktail rings have the implication of being showy and big. I should have specified that I meant a diamond centerstone RHR or cocktail ring (such as a halo/three-stone/solitaire diamond) which could be perceived to 'compete' with an engagement ring as opposed to a large diamond cluster or colored stone.

Yes, I would wear a larger RHR. I can relate to what you're saying about maybe a smaller ering that you can wear almost anywhere due to its size
and then a larger RHR when you're feeling DSS or want to bling it out. I honestly cant tell you if you'll feel disappointed in not having the ering larger
or not. My ering is a 1.08 pear. Not large by PS standards but on the larger size in my neck of the woods. I also have a 1.4 ctw 7 stone. I wear the
7 stone a lot instead of my pear just because it seems more casual and wearable to me.

I've also considered a 5 or 7 stone e-ring, or an interesting pave band--but I'd have to baby the pave so it makes me want to go for a either a small solitaire, 5, or 7 stone.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my 5 stone. super flashy and easy to wear

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
The only thing that might stop me from wearing a larger diamond on my right hand is that I'm right handed and it would be subjected to more abuse.

I have a 5 stone and occasionally wear it on my right hand. It is very comfortable and easy to wear, and as MTG said, very flashy. My DH calls it the "look at me" ring. ;)2

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn’t mostly Bc of the discomfort. But also. I don’t like to be super excessive. I have a 2.52 halo so I don’t feel comfy being super blingy on my right hand. Idk. Just me. I rarely wear my 9 stone graduated band with a 1 carat center stone precisely Bc of that. I know. I need to get over it.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I would - without giving it a thought. But I’m right handed, so I would prefer any major bling on my left hand to prevent damage.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn’t mostly Bc of the discomfort. But also. I don’t like to be super excessive. I have a 2.52 halo so I don’t feel comfy being super blingy on my right hand. Idk. Just me. I rarely wear my 9 stone graduated band with a 1 carat center stone precisely Bc of that. I know. I need to get over it.
I’m the same way. If I’m wearing an engagement ring I don’t wear any bling on my right hand. And vice versa. I have a BGD five diamond band that I purchased for my right hand and when I wear it I don’t wear my engagement ring. I feel too flashy if I wear both.
I don’t have too many right hand rings but I do have a lot of stackers and I feel funny wearing them too when I have my engagement ring on.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m the same way. If I’m wearing an engagement ring I don’t wear any bling on my right hand. And vice versa. I have a BGD five diamond band that I purchased for my right hand and when I wear it I don’t wear my engagement ring. I feel too flashy if I wear both.
I don’t have too many right hand rings but I do have a lot of stackers and I feel funny wearing them too when I have my engagement ring on.

I felt weird about it at first but I got used to it ;-)

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would want it to be different in style so it doesn't look like wearing 2 ERs but, totally!

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would and do! granted my RHR are mostly clusters with a CTW bigger than my erings but yes, without issues

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I don't see why not. But I would be really honest with yourself about the wear you'll get out of the new ring and your comfort with having a lot of bling on both hands.

There are a lot of things I'd like to have. And some of them I had and sold because it wasn't the right fit for me. So, just be really self aware and make sure that you will feel confident and happy flashing a large diamond RHR, because otherwise-- what's the point?

:wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hiya friends! Would you ever have a diamond RHR/cocktail that's bigger than your e-ring? Just curious.

Yes, no problem here at all.

ETA: Would you do it purposefully/by choice? Ie. If the RHR's came first, and the e-ring came second, and you could afford to go bigger than the RHR?

Definitely. I have no rules when it comes to bling except for the rule that when I purchase it I must love it and envision wearing it often. To make it PPW acceptable. Now that does not always pan out as I have big eyes and sometimes purchase more than I need or want or can ever wear but those are my ground rules before purchasing. Best of intentions. But you know what one says about intentions.:cheeky:

I have a RHR bigger than my ER and I love wearing it (my black opal) and no issues whatsoever that it is bigger than my ER. The RHR wouldn't look as beautiful if it was smaller and the size is just right IMO. But if my ER was as big as my black opal it would be too big (probably...:lol:).

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Strangely enough, my hot pink sapphire is exactly the same carat weight as Bella - 4.56cts - what are the odds? :shock:

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
my RHR is bigger than my engagement ring

Indylady

Ideal_Rock

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I don't see why not. But I would be really honest with yourself about the wear you'll get out of the new ring and your comfort with having a lot of bling on both hands.

There are a lot of things I'd like to have. And some of them I had and sold because it wasn't the right fit for me. So, just be really self aware and make sure that you will feel confident and happy flashing a large diamond RHR, because otherwise-- what's the point?

:wavey:

You make a great point—at first I was just concerned my RHR could overshadow a future e-ring, but now I’m also a little concerned that it could be too much bling at once.

For now, I think I’ll get wear out of the new ring and I’m not too worried about it; I don’t have an e-ring anyway, so it’s all a matter of what RHR I’ll wear on any given day. I know, I do get questions/looks on my diamond RHR’s, but I’ve got the gumption to fend them off or not mind.:cool2:

Now, if I have an engagement ring, will I wear both? Could it be too blingy? My area goes both ways—plain gold bands and small trendy multigem CS looks, to big diamonds in the 2-3ct range. I think everyone out here likes having their own thing, so there isn’t really a homogenous diamond culture, and I think people actually go out of their way to buck it. Where I grew up, it was all about a 1-2ct round or princess solitaire, sometimes halo. Here, I see as many friends choosing a diamond chip to chosing something that is 1-2 carats. So I think it’s all about what I can pull off/feel comfortable wearing, but sometimes that’s a harder question to answer than looking to convention!

Another q, and this one is getting a little ahead of myself—do I even need more than 1-2 engagement style diamond rings? My SK ring is already in the works and I am SO excited for it, I can’t imagine wanting to give that up... Maybe I can really go off the wall when it comes to my e-ring by getting an engagement riveria necklace or bangle instead? o_O

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
Yes of course! Cocktail rings for me are for special occasions or nights out or similar vs wear daily so they tend to be more fragile or special, glamorous!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Strangely enough, my hot pink sapphire is exactly the same carat weight as Bella - 4.56cts - what are the odds? :shock:

That’s too funny! Also—kind of an interesting concept to think about (having ‘balanced’ rings). I think it sounds lovely and like they were meant to be with you.

Yes, no problem here at all.

Definitely. I have no rules when it comes to bling except for the rule that when I purchase it I must love it and envision wearing it often. To make it PPW acceptable. Now that does not always pan out as I have big eyes and sometimes purchase more than I need or want or can ever wear but those are my ground rules before purchasing. Best of intentions. But you know what one says about intentions.:cheeky:

I have a RHR bigger than my ER and I love wearing it (my black opal) and no issues whatsoever that it is bigger than my ER. The RHR wouldn't look as beautiful if it was smaller and the size is just right IMO. But if my ER was as big as my black opal it would be too big (probably...:lol:).

Great point on PPW, Missy! Heheh I also sometimes have big eyes and buy more than I need or want; I think there is almost a bit of a natural evolution to the learning/loving process with jewels—at least for me—I started with a love and some small pieces (many were gifts), bought a little more as I learned, made some minor boo boos/learned more and also learned more about myself and what I like along the way, bought some more, then began a little refinement and paring down to what I love and getting a little better at buying too.

I like you bling rules! Takes some ‘stress’/anxiety from the process and puts the focus back on fun :roll2:. And of course, I have to give a shout out to your Cartier opal, it’s one of my favorite pieces on PS :love:

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If it was just an occasion ring I would wear one bigger than my e-ring, but not on a daily basis. I would also have an issue with a RHR being more expensive than my e-ring. My e-ring wasn't that much in PS terms but I'd feel it was competing with my e-ring or making it seem "better", and that would be weird

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd have multiple diamond rings that I wear on my left hand. I don't think I'd wear a larger diamond on my right hand than my left, as I may as well wear the larger one on the left when I am in the mood for a larger ring! Of course, so much depends on the styles of the rings, too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results