shape
carat
color
clarity

Question on preloved 3ct ‘pigeon blood’ ruby

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Hi, came across a preloved 3ct GIA certified ‘pigeon blood’ ruby recently. Approx $10k. Wondering if it’s a good buy?

I have a soft spot for nicely shaped ruby hearts and this one looks like it has a gorgeous shape.

Am concerned about the lack of translucency and dark coloration from the vendor pic (more on that in a while). Or would it be fine since it is certified as “pigeon blood”?

Also it is heated with minor (flux?) residue. While not so keen on that, I don’t think I can afford a nice sizeable unheated ruby so is that an acceptable trade off?

98ACB341-F9FB-4B1F-BFF7-0E3EDADF090C.jpeg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Ok used to think that I would like more translucent rubies but recently I came across one that was sleepy but caught my heart as it was more glowy than the other clearer rubies.

Lower left pic is my attempt at capturing the glow. Unheated Mozambique.

171455AF-0390-4BE2-8E9F-8EE65074681B.jpeg

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also it is heated with minor (flux?) residue. While not so keen on that, I don’t think I can afford a nice sizeable unheated ruby so is that an acceptable trade off? 98ACB341-F9FB-4B1F-BFF7-0E3EDADF090C.jpeg

Flux is a foreign material so like other materials that can fill cracks/fissures in a ruby is generally considered unacceptable to most here.

Basic heat treated only is more acceptable as it dissolves rutile inclusions to improve clarity/color with out introducing a foreign material.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Flux is a foreign material so like other materials that can fill cracks/fissures in a ruby is generally considered unacceptable to most here.

Basic heat treated only is more acceptable as it dissolves rutile inclusions to improve clarity/color with out introducing a foreign material.
I feel like it's insanely overpriced for having flux residue. You can find flux treated ones for a tiny fraction of that cost, and I think this will look "dead" in most lights.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok used to think that I would like more translucent rubies but recently I came across one that was sleepy but caught my heart as it was more glowy than the other clearer rubies.

Lower left pic is my attempt at capturing the glow. Unheated Mozambique.

171455AF-0390-4BE2-8E9F-8EE65074681B.jpeg
This is lovely!!!! I would take something like this over the other one you posted .

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is lovely!!!! I would take something like this over the other one you posted .
Agreed!

I have a smaller unheated Mozambique Ruby...under a loupe, it looks like a mess. But when wearing, all you see is a beautiful stone that glows. It just catches your attention and you find yourself constantly staring at.

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
Agreed!

I have a smaller unheated Mozambique Ruby...under a loupe, it looks like a mess. But when wearing, all you see is a beautiful stone that glows. It just catches your attention and you find yourself constantly staring at.
Please share a picture of that ruby? I could look at rubies all day long. :P2

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Firstly there is no such thing as a “bargain” ruby. Rubies are extremely valuable and good ones worth a fortune.
While $10,000 for a 3 carat Burmese ruby seems very cheap, it’s because it’s a lower quality ruby with residue. Some would say it’s more likely an overpriced rubbish ruby.
It looks quite translucent and minor residue could be an issue. I don’t believe GIA quantifies residue level unlike some other labs.
GRS Swiss lab is very descriptive. There is H (a) which really is only minor residue but there’s also H (b) and H (c) and H (d). Most would accept H (a) while H (b) is less acceptable and H(c) and H (d) are rubbish composite rubies. If the vendor offer a “no problem to return for full refund” you could buy it and see how you like it.
I suspect away from bright light / sunshine and inside at night it will look quite “blah”.
Don’t get all tangled up in the color label “pigeon blood red” apart from “subjective labeling by labs” the colour is rather deep and dark and not everyone likes it. Personally I think a vivid red is a better color.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

Thank you. It is mine but am awaiting resize for this :P2

AV_

Ideal_Rock
There are better ways to make synthetic ruby & it shows. Funny that the nice synthetics are priced as they are; poetic justice.

If you like translucent rubies, you will find one with fine color untreated - not tremendously more expensive. These things become available in unpredictable weaves... as things come out of the ground in some part or other - it is a sort of patient fun.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Firstly there is no such thing as a “bargain” ruby. Rubies are extremely valuable and good ones worth a fortune.
While $10,000 for a 3 carat Burmese ruby seems very cheap, it’s because it’s a lower quality ruby with residue. Some would say it’s more likely an overpriced rubbish ruby.
It looks quite translucent and minor residue could be an issue. I don’t believe GIA quantifies residue level unlike some other labs.
GRS Swiss lab is very descriptive. There is H (a) which really is only minor residue but there’s also H (b) and H (c) and H (d). Most would accept H (a) while H (b) is less acceptable and H(c) and H (d) are rubbish composite rubies. If the vendor offer a “no problem to return for full refund” you could buy it and see how you like it.
I suspect away from bright light / sunshine and inside at night it will look quite “blah”.
Don’t get all tangled up in the color label “pigeon blood red” apart from “subjective labeling by labs” the colour is rather deep and dark and not everyone likes it. Personally I think a vivid red is a better color.

GIA cert does say minor reside and the color descriptor is ‘vivid red’. I checked with my usual jeweller (not the seller of the ruby heart) and he said minor residue is equivalent to H(a) which i’d read in other posts as being acceptable.

Let me check if I can get another video or phone pics of the heart.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for your honest opinions! Really appreciate it. :)

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't care for it. If I had 10k to spend I would ask Wink (hpd) to source me the best ruby he could find in that range, and not worry so much about the specific size and shape.

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
3k/ct for heated and filled ruby and still looking milky? Nope. You can get these on gemrockauction for 500/stone.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I must have written the previous post half-:sleep: (foot in mouth) ... Yes, I agree that GIA's 'minor residue' comment indicates heat tretment well below what could turn corundum dust into ruby.

The step cut example is a DREAM: I doubt that any foggy ruby glows - it depends on what the texture looks like & I have never seen this point discussed in more detail than this example:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrnPJwwn1qk/

I am guessing that the parallel streaks on the surface of the heart are lines of heavier silk that did not take a polish - and they sugest that this stone would have been a cat's eye or weak star :cry2: (a tall cab would glow with a moving reflection - not as defined as eyes & stars) had it not been heated o_O ; I cannot be sure, but cabs with this sort of shimmer are as unusual as the subtler glow of the step cut ruby in those pictures.

I love fog ::)

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah i think you can do better for that price :read:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had Burma stones and some of them are heat with minor residues, this is nothing like glass filling but on the flip side of that it's not heat only or untreated either. It's quite common in Burmese stones and poses no durability issues.

I don't know if they are bad vendor pics, maybe try and get a video but the stone (the heart) looks dead and flat which is not what you want to see in a good ruby unless it's a cheaply priced one.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Just to update...Tried getting more pics but no response from the vendor so it’s a definite no go for me. Plus I need to take a break for a while from all the crazy shopping... :P2

Thanks again for all your advice and feedback!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results