shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about setting a stone on a gold ring

helphelp911

Rough_Rock
Hi, i bought a spinel and a 14k white gold ring setting from ebay. I bought them to one of my local jeweler to get them set. They quote me $200 because after the stone being set. The ring needs to do rhodium plating. Thus total is $200

i wonder for a brand new 14k white gold setting, do i need to do rhodium plating? he said he has to do it else the prong will be yellowish.

Thanks

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What color is your stone? Because yes, there may be a tiny bit of yellowing/greying on the prongs, if they have to do any work on it, but depending on your stone, it may look fine. I had a purple stone set in a 14k white setting and they let me see it before rhodium dipping it, so I could decide for myself if it was worth it. I liked the goldish prongs, so left it be. Did you ask how much just setting it would be?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m presuming the ring mount is already Rhodium plated, white gold is normally Rhodium plated to hide the slight yellow tone.
To set the Spinel the jeweller will have to work on the prongs, he will cut the seat in for the gem, possibly use the torch to realign the claw prongs, then he will polish the prongs. This work will end up removing part of the Rhodium plating. This is why he needs to re-plate after finishing the setting.
You will need to have your ring re Rhodium plated annually, about $50.

helphelp911

Rough_Rock
its a dark purplish grey spinel. The jeweller told me my 14k white gold ring setting has Rhodium plated and that's why its white.

So for setting 3ct spinel + Rhodium plated, is $200 a good price?

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
200 seems fair to me, depending on where you are of course, big city etc.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
What he says he has to do is true but he is basically charging whatever he wants. If you had bought your setting from him, he would have done it for free or only charged a small fee.

Frankly, that’s why I tend to buy or make my settings locally so that I can get the jeweller to set my stones without a fuss. My goal is to find a bench and develop a relationship with them so they will be willing to do all my small jobs.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think it's a bad price.

My very competent jeweller (works with coloured stones) charges $150 AUD to set a stone brought from outside. That's local currency so yours sounds about right for where you are.

helphelp911

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback. I am quite suprise setting a stone cause so much. My stone is $150, setting is $500. I guess next time I will get a local setting so I can save $200 and trouble

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There are also 14K white gold settings that are not rhodium plated.........just something else to consider.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given it's a brand new setting, I think the price is high assuming that the stone fits without a lot of work. But I also know that my local benches charge less than a lot of retail stores so may be totally out of touch. Given rhodium plating is required, I assume there is significant work being done in which case the price might be fine.

helphelp911

Rough_Rock
Thank you. Next time i will try local jewelry store first before ebay diamond setting

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results