shape
carat
color
clarity

Question About Setting Tolerances

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How far off from measurement can you be before a gemstone doesn't fit in a stock setting? Are tolerances different for different shapes? Does it depend on the setting material (gold vs platinum)? Would a 6.5 X 4.5mm oval stone fit in a 7 X 5mm setting? Or a 6 X 4 setting? I tried looking through old threads and found a little information, but it was somewhat vague.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The first paragraph in this link from a Barry touches on setting tolerances. I have been safe staying within 0.2mm like he mentions, but have definitely pushed it beyond that depending on the setting style. https://www.acstones.com/info/setting.asp
I would go with the 5x7 mount for the stone size you mentioned in most setting styles if I had to go with a stock size.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends on how "fussy" you are and how flexible your jeweller is imo.

My stock setting store in Sydney wants to make a sale and they have a really good jeweller. He's pretty flexible in terms of what he can and can't do with a setting. They have even modified round settings to fit a square stone for me.

They would definitely make the measurements you posted work but it depends on what result you are looking for. I know PSers expect very precise results with settings so there's probably less room to wiggle if that's your standard.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends on the setting and the skill of the jeweler/bench and how tolerant you are to a ring who's main stone may not look perfectly set in the ring. I have had stock settings made for round stones used for some of my oval gemstones and they worked nicely, but if you look close you can tell there is something off about the setting. I also have had jewelers modify settings to set smaller stones, and for that they added gold and somehow made the prongs work. I have been told by jewelers that platinum is harder to work with than gold. Don't know how true that is, I just take their word for it.

This chrysoberyl was set in this setting after a larger gemstone was removed. The difference was at least 1mm. You can see with the magnified photo how the stone is not set perfect, but with the naked eye the ring is very pretty.

001.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results