shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess Cut Sapphires

swmr1120

Rough_Rock
I'm hoping to have some assistance in my hunt for a blue sapphire. I've read a few other threads since I was attempting to research some vendors (specifically GemsNY). Sounds like for the most part people weren't a fan of what they had to offer. I limited myself to looking at anything that was at least GIA certified, but it sounds like AGL is better with colored stones? We are looking at purchasing a ring for myself that has blue sapphires in it, and my soon to be wife has decided to make her center stone a blue sapphire to match, instead of a diamond. Due to the size, I am definitely OK with this due to the general price difference. We are looking for a roughly 2.5 cts that is a princess cut. I am definitely no expert on this, and our jeweler is having difficulty finding one as well. So I figured I'd start to educate myself more, and see if there were some suggestions out there for where to look. I'm hoping someone here would be able to provide some insight, some education for me, and perhaps the perfect gemstone :).
In reading through the threads, this seems to be a pretty open, honest forum. So I'd appreciate any and all feedback/suggestions. Thanks everyone!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your budget for the stone? That will help us make appropriate recommendations. Also, does it have to be princess cut? That will make it significantly more difficult.

swmr1120

Rough_Rock
I apologize for not including my budget. We are pretty open, as we had a decent chunk set aside from our home sale for a possible diamond. She currently has her ring with a cheap couple hundred dollar stone right now. We would consider most options and are looking for a nicer stone rather than one with some fillers. Also, yes to the princess cut. She loves that cut, and the ring is currently set up with it in a kited setting. And the ring we found for me has kited square saphire stones as well. Thanks and hopefully that helps?

voce

Ideal_Rock
I would highly recommend Inken Krause, who recently helped me find an awesome square cushion ruby whose cut somewhat reminds me of princess. She actually specializes in larger sized ruby and sapphire and knows quite a few people in the trade. Many other PSers have done business with her before, and she is friendly, helpful, and above all honest. She will tell you her best price up front without making you go through the haggling process. You can contact her through her Etsy shop at https://www.etsy.com/shop/EnhoerningJewelry?ref=ss_profile
Screenshot_20190123-145945.png

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
B1827FFA-6571-4B31-A789-041FAB47E1B1.jpeg 96861C0C-C164-428E-B4FB-36ECC68FDB92.jpeg Africa gems has one, but I much prefer the radiant (also a screen shot).
Princess cut isn’t a “standard” shape, so it will be slim pickings I think. Other square shapes ie radiant or square will be more frequently encountered. There are also a few vendors who might be able to source some rough and cut a gem for you.
Sapphires are more dense than diamonds so for the same visual size, the sapphire will have a heavier carat weight. So if you are after a “size” check the dimensions of the gem as well as the carat weight.
An AGL or GIA lab report is recommended, most sapphires will have had heat treatment which is acceptable (unheated are harder to find and more expensive). Chose a vendor who accepts no hassle return if not 100% happy. Sometimes you need to see the gem in person to be sure.
Happy searching.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You might find it is more difficult to see the facet pattern on a sapphire, as apposed to a daimond. So there isnt as much benefit in strictly conforming to the princess cut style. Meanwhile even in daimonds people have trouble with chips forming on the corners of the princess cut stones -- I would guess these are extreemal and are more easily snagged on stuff, and all the wear and tear just accumulates in one place causing it to be more likely to crumble. Sapphires are softer, so I would imagine this problem may be even more persistant in sapphires. But I honestly dont know, perhaps this is completely off base.

voce

Ideal_Rock
You can try Pristine Gemstone Jewelry https://pristinegemstonejewelry.com/ or their Etsy shop https://www.etsy.com/shop/PristineGemstones?ref=l2-shopheader-name

Andrea and Rogerio are easy to work with and very patient when you have a plethora of questions. What's even better, they have a 20% sale going on now too!
I'm sad that they are retiring. The only reason why I never bought from them before was a lack of lab reports. I kept hoping that they'll start to offer them, but instead they're leaving the business.

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
I tried to find a definition of princess cut vs scissor or others but failed.
Is the 2nd gem from Africagems not a square emerald cut?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've seen CS princess cuts but they are far and few between. It has to be the princess cut pattern rather than a square?

swmr1120

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all of this information! So, a few things I've discovered in some conversations, and what I've seen here, is that it will be the dimensions that are more important rather than the cts. We currently have a cheap stone in the ring, and were looking at placing a diamond in at a later date (see pictures). We are looking for one that would fit this ring. I guess my thought pattern was based on what cuts I know of for diamonds, a square cut could work in this instance (please correct me if you think that is incorrect). Since we recently moved, I need to locate the paperwork for it still, but I'm working on getting the specific dimension of it. I can say an emerald cut really won't work. IMG_20190123_195721.jpg IMG_20190123_195727.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are not set on the cut pattern, a square stone will work, be it square step cut, square cushion or some other square outline.

pristine

Rough_Rock
Trade
I'm sad that they are retiring. The only reason why I never bought from them before was a lack of lab reports. I kept hoping that they'll start to offer them, but instead they're leaving the business.

Just to clarify (this is Andrea from Pristine Gemstones also known as Pristine Gemstone Jewelry), we do offer appraisals (a legal document more in depth than a lab report) prepared by a 3rd party, GIA trained gemologist and licensed appraiser. GIA trained gemologists are required to disclose all treatments in sapphires other than heat treatment (so if you don't see mention of treatment, there aren't any treatments other than you can assume heat treatment). Please read our following blog on Heat Treatment for further clarification: https://pristinegemstonejewelry.com/blogs/blog/non-heat-treated-sapphires-by-pristine-gemstone-jewelry

The reason we don't send our stones to the actual GIA main lab, is because it is in the US, and we are in Canada, and we carry 1000's of gemstones. It just isn't feasible for a multitude of reasons to send our stones back and forth across the border for testing, plus, there are plenty of well-trained gemologists in every major city. That being said, if someone purchases a gemstone from us, and they want to take it to the main GIA lab, they are more than welcome to do so. We have a flexible and fair return policy. We are also very flexible and fair and treat individual situations accordingly.

Every one of our listings should state that we offer complimentary appraisals on items over $1800USD and for items below that amount, there is a $60USD charge for an appraisal.

All of that being said, we are very open, honest, and fair people, and if anyone has any questions about our products or services, we are glad to answer, so please reach out!

Sincerely,
Andrea Van Wilgenburg

pristine

Rough_Rock
Trade
ps. We are indeed leaving the business, but as I stated, we have 1000's of gemstones, and it will be a couple of years before we depart. Even then, we will always be available for past customers.

Thank you!
Andrea

Shijitake

Shiny_Rock
That's a pretty ring @swmr1120 !
I'm still waiting for an answer from Pristine Gemstones from a message I sent Tuesday

pristine

Rough_Rock
Trade

Shijitake

Shiny_Rock
I'm asking about the light blue/lavender sapphire on etsy. I asked for a comparison shot with another sapphire

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results