shape
carat
color
clarity

Poll: 4ct pendant or pendant-earring combo?

which would you rather be given?

• 4ct pendant

Votes: 24 44.4%
  • 2.5ct pendant and 3.4ct earring set

Votes: 30 55.6%

• Total voters

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I posted here awhile back about giving my wife a pendant upgrade. My budget allows for either a pendant and earring upgrade, or just a big pendant upgrade (with the earring upgrade waiting for some further point in time).

OK, which would you rather have? I found a gorgeous 4ct super ideal stone that I would like to give my wife. She has nice earrings (AGS000 studs, 2.2 carats total). She wears both the earrings and the pendant most days; probably 5 or 6 days a week. Options within my price range are:

-option 1: upgrade her pendant from a 1.7ct to around a 2.5ct, same color (M) she has now, and upgrade her earrings to 3.4 carats (total). The ones I found are J in color, also super ideal.

-option 2: give her the massive 4ct pendant, which eats up the entire budget, but seems like a pretty special stone! She already gets so many more compliments on her pendant vs her earrings. It faces up in certain conditions bright white, and certain conditions with a hint of vanilla. Both are RB cuts. Leave earrings as-is.

Please vote below! What would you rather have?

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is she sporting for her ering? Maybe ask her what she prefers? She might surprise you!

Me personally- I would probably want another (bigger or different shape) ering. I only have four now. :whistle:

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
What is she sporting for her ering? Maybe ask her what she prefers? She might surprise you!

Me personally- I would probably want another (bigger or different shape) ering. I only have four now. :whistle:

I hinted and as always, she won't say for fear of me thinking she "wants" something. The decision is on me

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hinted and as always, she won't say for fear of me thinking she "wants" something. The decision is on me

Yes - got it. But can you pls tell us what her e-ring situation is? For instance, if her e-ring is 2ct, I'd definitely say buy her the combo. But if it's 6ct, go for the pendant.

So - some deets on the e-ring pls, so we can advise you.

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Haha, I'm like that with my h, as in the past I've inadvertently said things that talked him out of buying me jewels I would have loved.
Now I shut up and tell him ill love whatever he chooses.

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
"Yes - got it. But can you pls tell us what her e-ring situation is? For instance, if her e-ring is 2ct, I'd definitely say buy her the combo. But if it's 6ct, go for the pendant"

Sure! E-ring is 4ct RB, K color. Band is Cartier love in WG (they don't sell it w/diamonds in platinum). Sorry for the bad pic: airport check-in area lobby lighting!

IMG_9759 2.JPG

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted to upgrade pendent and earrings, but after reading the thread I changed my mind- I think you should upgrade the pendent only now.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not the pendant. Not with an e-ring of the same size. I'd be looking for a pendant in the 2.75ct range, but in a J or K color.

Also - does she have her dream e-ring? Is there any interest in upgrading that?

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yes - got it. But can you pls tell us what her e-ring situation is? For instance, if her e-ring is 2ct, I'd definitely say buy her the combo. But if it's 6ct, go for the pendant.

So - some deets on the e-ring pls, so we can advise you.

Haha, I'm like that with my h, as in the past I've inadvertently said things that talked him out of buying me jewels I would have loved.
Now I shut up and tell him ill love whatever he chooses.

I will say: she likes surprises, and has never once (to my knowledge) looked up anything online or done any diamond research; He has no idea what color or clarity diamonds she has, only that they are brilliantly cut and get tons of compliments, and that I did my homework when I bought them (I think for her, it shows that I really care, and am also a little bit nerdy in that I just don't walk into a store, hand over a credit card, and call it good (like most guys would)).

I like to surprise her, and by checking out the forums here, I get lots of good advice and ideas!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would she want a tennis bracelet or a right hand ring?

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Not the pendant. Not with an e-ring of the same size. I'd be looking for a pendant in the 2.75ct range, but in a J or K color.

Also - does she have her dream e-ring? Is there any interest in upgrading that?

Do you think it will be out of proportion with the e-ring and the pendant the same size?

"her dream e-ring"; yes, but only because she hasn't tried on anything else that is close. She wouldn't want to go bigger at this point: I think her patients would probably ask for discounts if it were any larger! 4ct or larger isn't that unusual where we live, but she practices in a lower-income, blue-collar area and would feel a bit self-conscious. Her fun car is a 2014 911 GT3, but daily drives an Audi A4 for the same reason.

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Would she want a tennis bracelet or a right hand ring?

She seemed "meh" on the tennis bracelet idea for some reason: she typically wears either one David Yurman cuff (or a stack) or a tubogas bracelet (stuff her mom passed down when her dad retired, moved to the country, and she no longer wore nice jewelry).

I think she would like one however.

She would love a right-hand ring, I bet. I am not very creative and don't know the first thing about jewelry design. As you can see, her e-ring is as basic as they come, and the band was her idea. I have a matching Love band in PT (no diamonds though).

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
What about a badass full eternity for her right hand???

Like 25-30 pointers? Oh, I would totally die!

I could look into that as well!

One thing I know about her: she likes simple, clean, elegant. Does an eternity ring fall into that category?

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe a simple eternity is very classic. A simple setting that showcases the stones. It is not a subtle look but it is elegant. If she wears a 4 ct ering daily, I think she would be ok with an eternity.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you think it will be out of proportion with the e-ring and the pendant the same size?

"her dream e-ring"; yes, but only because she hasn't tried on anything else that is close. She wouldn't want to go bigger at this point. 4ct or larger isn't that unusual where we live, but she practices in a lower-income, blue-collar area and would feel a bit self-conscious.

Yes, I do. I do think, tho, that a 2.5 - 2.75ct pendant would be lovely. On the other hand, upgrading the color and setting of her e-ring might be nice as well; there's more ways to upgrade an e-ring than size alone, which is why I asked if this is her dream e-ring. Who did the setting? - the prongs look very chunky, but it might just be the angle. A larger pendant and an upgraded e-ring would be a killer combo. I don't think I'd be going to an M colored stone if it isn't the same color as her other pieces - in my opinion it would be too big and too warm - ie it would stand out from 2 different directions. Which is not to say (being very clear here) that it wouldn't be a fabulous piece! I just don't think it would go well with the pieces she has.

Failing upgrading the e-ring, I'd do the pendant / earrings combo, and line up the colors more tightly.

DiamondsAndDior

Rough_Rock
If it were me, I would prefer a large upgrade to both earrings and pendant, versus a super large upgrade in one. If the pendant was a lot smaller, then I may prefer one very large upgrade (i.e. from 0.5ct to 2ct). But given the current size of your wife’s pendant, I would probably suggest option 1 (upgrading both).

DiamondsAndDior

Rough_Rock
I also love the idea of an eternity band for a right hand ring! Does your wife like to stick with round diamonds only? Round eternity bands are very pretty, but if she’s open to other shapes, I think elongated 30-50 pointer emerald cut eternity bands are jaw droppingly beautiful.

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yes, I do. I do think, tho, that a 2.5 - 2.75ct pendant would be lovely. On the other hand, upgrading the color and setting of her e-ring might be nice as well; there's more ways to upgrade an e-ring than size alone, which is why I asked if this is her dream e-ring. Who did the setting? - the prongs look very chunky, but it might just be the angle. A larger pendant and an upgraded e-ring would be a killer combo. I don't think I'd be going to an M colored stone if it isn't the same color as her other pieces - in my opinion it would be too big and too warm - ie it would stand out from 2 different directions. Which is not to say (being very clear here) that it wouldn't be a fabulous piece! I just don't think it would go well with the pieces she has.

Failing upgrading the e-ring, I'd do the pendant / earrings combo, and line up the colors more tightly.

Thank you for the advice! Both her earrings and pendant are currently M color; they match well. The e-ring was a setting done by a vendor here; they do good work, but aren't Victor Canera quality.

To upgrade her e-ring would be great, but I would have to go a different direction, as trade-in values are a factor, and I need to reach out to that vendor and see if they even have anything that might work.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, if that's the case, I'd do the earrings and pendant upgrade in a K color. Would be a lovely set.

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
I like the big eternity band idea. She could ideally wear it on either hand. Beautiful on her right hand or in place of her e-ring some days.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I initially voted for the 4ct - badass pendant, hehe. But after having read all the comments, I changed my vote to option 2. I'd also upgrade both the pendant and earrings to a matching colour (J or K colour), and both to ideal or superideal cut.

Last edited:

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone! Please keep the comments coming!

The only issue with the "smaller" upgrade is that the vendor I am working with has almost nothing in the 2.5ct range. An upgrade from 1.7ct to 2.0ct isn't much of a size increase: color upgrade, sure, but I would like the size increase to be noticeable as well.

We are OK with earrings, as I am targeting the 1.5-1.7 ct per side. Plenty of options there

Last edited:

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I initially voted for the 4ct - badass pendant, hehe. But after having read all the comments, I changed my vote to option 2. I'd also upgrade both the pendant and earrings to a matching colour (J or K colour), and both to ideal or superideal cut.

the current stones are all superideal, M color, 1.7ct pendant and 2.2ct TW studs. What would be a good upgrade in terms of size? I agree, J/K to match her e-ring and not break the bank.

This is perhaps a bit more than I want to spend if I am also doing the earrings, but it would make a spectacular pendant, don't you think? Then again, if I spend that much, I might as well grab the warmer 4ct I was looking at originally. The price difference is only $4500.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4072158.htm

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
the current stones are all superideal, M color, 1.7ct pendant and 2.2ct TW studs. What would be a good upgrade in terms of size? I agree, J/K to match her e-ring and not break the bank.

This is perhaps a bit more than I want to spend if I am also doing the earrings, but it would make a spectacular pendant, don't you think? Then again, if I spend that much, I might as well grab the warmer 4ct I was looking at originally. The price difference is only $4500.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4072158.htm

That stone looks rather included, although WF says on the site that it's "eyeclean". I'd ask WF to send you more pics of the stone, and a video too.

How about these as earrings, if your budget allows?

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4068028.htm
(Ask for further pics and video of this one too, to make sure that it's absolutely eyeclean).

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4018653.htm

Or alternatively, these:

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3925329.htm

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4022276.htm

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nah, go BIG or go home!
Seriously, I think you have found a rather special 4 carat diamond and they are hard to find at the best of times so I say buy the 4 carat diamond!
Your wife could always decide to pop that diamond into the engagement ring (whoa!) and swap the ER diamond to a pendant.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Nah, go BIG or go home!
Seriously, I think you have found a rather special 4 carat diamond and they are hard to find at the best of times so I say buy the 4 carat diamond!
Your wife could always decide to pop that diamond into the engagement ring (whoa!) and swap the ER diamond to a pendant.
+1

If you don't go this route my thoughts are to be a little careful with the earrings as the size of your DW's earlobes has to be taken into account. When my DW bought her studs she tried on a bunch of different sizes and eventually decided 1.40ct per side, 2.80tcw, was the maximum size that looked right on her ears. Also they only get worn on special occasions as she's more comfortable with her smaller pair for daily wear.

One more thing, I know a lot of ladies love their eternity rings, but my DW thinks the feel of gemstones between her fingers is not comfortable. She will no longer consider trying one on, even if very attractively priced. This would be something you might want to check out before buying one for your DW!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nah, go BIG or go home!

This is exactly my thought. I would choose the big beautiful honker diamond every time. You can always upgrade the ER diamond or change it but a big beautiful diamond is special. And I always say (for me) Go Big or Go Home and I live it too.

Really comes down to what your wife desires and prefers. Because she is the one who will be wearing and enjoying it for decades to come.

Forget the rules and follow your hearts.

gobigorgohome.gif

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Earrings a nice, if she is an uber chick who loves earrings then go for the set, but I'm with the go BIG crowd.. I have 2 sets of studs okay in my life/price range they are both .50 carats a piece, now my ear lobes have one hole that needs at least a one carater and I'm just can't afford that, so I am giving the MRB earrings to my son as a push present for his wife (as it was MY push present for him 31 years ago).. If I had a choice of a 4 ct mrb I'd die and go to heaven.. so you have to take my thoughts with a grain of salt. Do you have daughters who would inherit this stuff? then earrings could be split up easily.. basically I want your wife's jewelry.. ha! come back and let us know what you did Please!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results