shape
carat
color
clarity

Please tell me how rare hexagon cut diamonds are

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi, after seeing @Menlikediamondstoo post his , it seems I'm seeing them 'everywhere' (as in I've seen two) but up until his post, hadn't seen a single one. So, after a serious case of FOMO, I have realized that I desperately want one. It has all the appeal of an asscher but faces up better for it's weight. I blame PS for this newfound 'need'.

The one I just found today is a 1.46 h (generously estimated as I could discern tint, so maybe an I/J) 'SI' that was NOT eye clean going for 4800. Flat to flat it was 8mm.

It had all sorts of opaque white inclusions going on under the loupe. And at about 12 inches I could see a cluster of inclusions that didn't bounce about the whole diamond but were definitely there. It has a very wide table, the whole face is basically table. But, it was lively and well cut in that the steps were appealing to me and symetrical all the way to the centre of the stone.

So, my question. If I don't buy this one, will I be kicking myself and searching for the next decade for one? I am not a wealthy pser. This kind of money would mean not buying anything else at all for a year, as I'd pay in installments. I don't love the idea of not eye clean, but if it is between never having a hex and having a hex with some beauty marks, I can live with it.

My searches online have turned up moissanite and czs but very few diamonds... please advise! Thanks.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@737lizakg It’s funny you say that because I’ve noticed a few as well popping up in random browse sessions, LT, etc. I can’t say how rare/common they are, but like anything else, if you hunt long enough, you can probably find another one.

I do feel your pain about feeling like you’re possibly settling on eye-clean clarity. I kind of thought about that with my Tycoon cut ... I really have to hold it super still & up close to find the crystal inclusion; otherwise, it behaves by hiding itself neatly among the light/facet play when it’s moving about. Had I been able to find even one other tycoon close in size/shape to the one I bought, I might have thought more about holding out for a VS1 vs. SI1, but I couldn’t find a single one in the same shape anywhere on the internet. So I made the decision I would not let that one inclusion that I can only see at about 3” in the ‘perfect’ circumstance keep me from otherwise loving that diamond. And I do love it.

All of that to say, only you can decide if you can love, live & be happy with the diamond you found. If you can’t “get there” pretty easily/quickly based on your gut feel about potential alternatives, then perhaps it’s best to hold off so you aren’t typing up funds for something you feel you’re ‘settling’ for, if that makes sense.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I was looking for one too! I saw 2 on Leibish. One brown and one yellow. I wanted the yellow one but it wasn’t as step cut-y as I was hoping for (if that makes sense) and my husband thought it was weird, so it didn’t happen.

I saw someone said some of the MMD are available in hexagon shapes if you’re interested in that.

Menlikediamondstoo

Shiny_Rock
Oh boy! Here we go lol!

Let me start by saying I obsessed and I mean obsessed over the hexagon. I reached out to 82 (yes, I kept a list) diamond dealers around the world. Most told me they could not find one- many told me they can cut one from a rough- and some told me they can take a 4carat and cut it down (crazy).

The bottom line is that they are out there- just rare to find. To my knowledge, the touch has to be very specific.

As price is concerned, you are paying a premium for the cut. The price you stated above is really good!

Do you have a photo of the one you found? What is your total budget?

Here’s the thing- I reached out to soo many people about the diamond that some are still getting back to me. I know of a 1.46 g vs1 gia certified that is out there as well as a few others. The guy who found mine is icerock_diamonds on Instagram. He actually found it at a trade show.

All of my obsessing may have done you good! Let me know!

Menlikediamondstoo

Shiny_Rock
One more thing- they do have windows. When they are set you don’t really see it. Here is a picture of mine. It looks like steps are going all the way down- but if I were to press my finger on the bottom, you would see my finger in the middle.

They are still lively- just in a different way. I actually love how they sparkle from the edges.

7E592F5F-FA17-48D9-831A-380166BA2873.jpeg

Attachments

• 1910F407-AA83-48AA-A5F3-693AF315022B.png
    1910F407-AA83-48AA-A5F3-693AF315022B.png
    619.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 4F4C07AF-0DAD-4706-A782-2B49B9D8FB60.jpeg
    4F4C07AF-0DAD-4706-A782-2B49B9D8FB60.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 39074FAD-AE3F-4A2B-AF79-F40FE6CC0F7F.jpeg
    39074FAD-AE3F-4A2B-AF79-F40FE6CC0F7F.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 051FDF51-6C7B-491E-8EAE-4BACBEDEF4DA.jpeg
    051FDF51-6C7B-491E-8EAE-4BACBEDEF4DA.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 37F0E06C-3E8B-46F7-8A5C-1B604198CD01.jpeg
    37F0E06C-3E8B-46F7-8A5C-1B604198CD01.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 40

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh boy! Here we go lol!

Let me start by saying I obsessed and I mean obsessed over the hexagon. I reached out to 82 (yes, I kept a list) diamond dealers around the world. Most told me they could not find one- many told me they can cut one from a rough- and some told me they can take a 4carat and cut it down (crazy).

The bottom line is that they are out there- just rare to find. To my knowledge, the touch has to be very specific.

As price is concerned, you are paying a premium for the cut. The price you stated above is really good!

Do you have a photo of the one you found? What is your total budget?

Here’s the thing- I reached out to soo many people about the diamond that some are still getting back to me. I know of a 1.46 g vs1 gia certified that is out there as well as a few others. The guy who found mine is icerock_diamonds on Instagram. He actually found it at a trade show.

All of my obsessing may have done you good! Let me know!
I don’t want to thread jack but I’m really curious about your experience with IceRock Diamonds. I follow him on ig and he posts some incredible things but would be interested in hearing from someone who actually worked with him.

Menlikediamondstoo

Shiny_Rock
I don’t want to thread jack but I’m really curious about your experience with IceRock Diamonds. I follow him on ig and he posts some incredible things but would be interested in hearing from someone who actually worked with him.

Of course! Although his posts might seem a little intimidating, he works with all budgets and is as friendly and professional as they come. Trust me, he had to work for my sale. I must have called and texted him 30x a day. For something rare or unique, he will take requests and specifically look for you on his trips to Israel, Hong Kong and various Jewelry shows around the country. I was beyond impressed.

Also, if I were him, I would have ignored or blocked me after day 2

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve been a fan for a while but haven’t seen one in person yet. They’re such an interesting look!

Dream Diamond Limited has hexagon diamonds but they’re trade only. I think Dolly of xothebijouxbox on Instagram has purchased from them before, but I’m not positive.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BuB5I0mF8Un/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1kpayfw6ay09u

Alex Park of Parks Fine Group has fancy cuts and might be able to source a hexagon as well.

Menlikediamondstoo

Shiny_Rock
I’ve been a fan for a while but haven’t seen one in person yet. They’re such an interesting look!

Dream Diamond Limited has hexagon diamonds but they’re trade only. I think Dolly of xothebijouxbox on Instagram has purchased from them before, but I’m not positive.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BuB5I0mF8Un/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1kpayfw6ay09u

Alex Park of Parks Fine Group has fancy cuts and might be able to source a hexagon as well.

When I was looking for my hexagon I reached out to dream diamond limited and they gave me a price! I didn’t know they were talrade only!

Under a carat- they are out there. Above a carat is a tough one. I would love to see a photo of the 1.46 @737lizakg found. It sounds lovely and has an incredible spread.

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Screenshot_20190319-223100.png Screenshot_20190319-223055.png
These are screenshots of a video I took. I'm going to go back for another look and will take my macro clip with me.

@Menlikediamondstoo if sub carats are easily found I may pass on this one, as something along the lines of 1k is more my speed (unfortunately).

@winnietucker @the_mother_thing @JPie @leukolenos thanks for the tips and contributions. deal or not, for that kind of money I don't know if I'll be able to get over the inclusions. But am going in again this weekend now that I know it is a decent price for what it is.

Menlikediamondstoo

Shiny_Rock
I’m just going to say the price is incredible and it looks amazing! I paid 12k for mine knowing it was a lot but I just had to have it.

It is hard to be picky with these because you kind of have to take what you see. You can’t pick your color and clarity - But if the clarity is going to be your decision but if the clarity is going to bother you, don’t jump. This is why diamonds are so personal. I would prefer a colorless stone with a black carbon spot right in the middle rather than a totally clean K color. It’s all personal preference!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Last edited:

FlashyFlamingo

Shiny_Rock
I would reach out to MyDiamondZone on eBay. They had a petite hexagon several months ago and have a really interesting octagon now. They sometimes carry more unique shapes. Might be worth asking to see if they have anything in their back stock. Here is the octagon that they have now:
87FD635B-EE1E-47D4-B56E-C1357F4F5FE1.jpeg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A couple of the MMD sellers I found the other day had Hexagons (and a load of other unusual shapes) listed - obviously we can't talk about them here but custom-cutting MMD could be an option if Mined versions are difficult/impossible to source/custom-cut within the available budget.

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok, what I lack in videography skills i make up for in volume. I have 5 videos and a handful of photos. the images appear far more tinted and cloudy than real life, but the inclusions on down by 7 and 8 o'clock are there to see, a cluster of pinpoint black and brown dots.

APOLOGIES FOR THE LOUD CONVERSATIONS GOING ON, TURNOFF THE VOLUME IF YOU WATCH THE CLIPS

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMAG0496.jpg IMAG0495.jpg

Menlikediamondstoo

Shiny_Rock

Videos are great!

Would you keep it in the pendent, or make a ring? As a ring, I see where the inclusions might bother you- especially in a step cut.

Price is still good in my opinion.

I was going through my messages on instagram and found this one I was offered. 1.01 GIA I VS2 $4,500. Just as a comparison.

833E610D-33E1-494D-BE56-CCF63A8316C7.png

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@AV_ how were you supposed to wear it? it looks like it tapers. I want it as a mini crown to put on a hamster or something! yes, I'm still a 6 year old girl at heart.
@FlashyFlamingo I like that one too!
@Menlikediamondstoo thanks for giving me a point of reference for prices. It really helps. About the inclusions. That's the thing, I wouldn't keep it as a pendant as I can't admire it if its around my neck. Unless, of course, I stood in front of the mirror all day, or mounted a little side view mirror to my shoulder... which I'm not ruling out:D. It's also REALLY dirty. The pavilion is crusted over with stuff. Why on earth it wasn't cleaned is beyond me. But I am scared that if I point out that it is dirty, it will get cleaned, and shoot up in price because they'll realize it's a much better stone.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
It is an archer's ring meant to be worn on the thumb (the finger which pulls the bow) - pointing downward & toward the palm. I trust that these rings are protecting in some way, but haven't found any good account of how! I am rather interested to try out, truth be told ,) (mentioned elsewhere & will).

This ring is too fancy & fragile & beautiful to use, but I wonder if some owner has indeed used it to pull a bow, because of the odd damage to the ring: the gold rim closest to the edge of the large diamond is crushed & the diamond is crushed there also (by a twang?)...

The thing is huge! For the thumb if a man. I doubt kundan can get better. The stones are perfection... A DREAM.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results