shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help with spinel ring CADs!

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Finally getting around to setting the spinel I got about a year ago and would love some feedback on the CADs! The inspiration ring I have is below. but I did request two modifications - double claw prongs instead of the six in the picture and one bezel around all three sidestones rather than each stone bezeled separately. Also I’m using a pair of small bullet diamonds I already have instead of baguettes.

Here’s a photo of the stones I have

BDD52123-114E-4CD0-B056-EF42988AB9E6.jpeg

And the inspiration ring

5D962AB9-A99D-4B2F-9ADB-59B5CFB1D5A6.png

And here are the CADs I got.

upload_2019-2-20_20-16-52.jpeg
Overall, I really like the ring and like how open the gallery is since my stone is quite dark, but I also se a few issues.
- The most obvious thing missing is the double prongs of course, I’ll ask to have them changed.
- I’m also not sure about the sidestones, it seems like they’re a bit too big and there’s perhaps too much metal around the rounds?
- I also can’t quite tell if the bezel is two separate parts, it seems like the part that surrounds the tip of the bullet is kind of on its own, or am I not looking at it correctly?
- Also, is 2.6 a bit wide for the band? Should I ask David to taper it a bit towards the bottom?

Any other thoughts you care to share? I’d rally appreciate it!

Attachments

• 2D23EE6A-E302-4BE4-944D-A6B4C574E19A.jpeg
    2D23EE6A-E302-4BE4-944D-A6B4C574E19A.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 21
  • A5914740-23B9-46DA-9D00-A556B4C117BF.jpeg
    A5914740-23B9-46DA-9D00-A556B4C117BF.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 22

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the design! love that you put in is that bullets? instead of just regular baguettes. I've been on a milgrain kick lately... do you like milgrain? if you do, I would perhaps add to basket and around your sidestones that are bezelled. Definitely agree with the open gallery!

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks D&T! I do love milgrain and asked David to add it, but I don’t think it would be in the CAD.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No his millgrain will not show up in cads
The gallery feels unresolved. What does the gallery in the inspiration look like

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually I see you like that. I think once that middle prong is moved it will look better. I don’t like that middle prong sprouting out of no where - but if you’re removing that it will not be an issue

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah see if they can take the rounds down to maybe 1 pointers?

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting. I can’t wait to see the finished product! :mrgreen2:

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Neil, thanks so much for sharing your thoughts! The gallery of the inspiration ring is not very inspiring, I didn’t even send it to David, but here it is. The middle prong definitely needs to go.

CCE7C53B-B5E3-417C-A6DF-A863052A471A.png

My main concern with the gallery is to keep it open, but if you have any thoughts on how to improve it, let me know! I’ll also ask about getting smaller rounds or making a smaller bezel, or both.

Actually I see you like that. I think once that middle prong is moved it will look better. I don’t like that middle prong sprouting out of no where - but if you’re removing that it will not be an issue

Elle, thanks! I’m looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

Hivona

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the middle prong on the CADs. It looks like a natural extension of the swooping elements of the gallery. Now the middle prong on the inspiration picture terribly out of place....

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the middle prong on the CADs. It looks like a natural extension of the swooping elements of the gallery. Now the middle prong on the inspiration picture terribly out of place....

Thansk Hivona! I actually wanted double claw prongs, so the one in the middle has to go anyway. But I agree, I like the one in the CAD much better than the inspiration photo.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A8A2270C-41FD-42DF-AAB2-04004628025D.jpeg
Revised CADs are here! I think it looks better with the double prongs, but the sidestone combo still looks too big me. Anything else I should be concerned with?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the sidestones now. Before the metal around the accents what’s wider than the stone. Overflowing almost. Now it doesn’t seem to go past the prongs.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
However I would specifically ask him the width of those “wings” because I would not want them wider than my stone at all. Even .1 mm

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much Niel! I agree, I think they’re still too big. I really want the whole thing contained between the prongs, will ask David to use smaller diamonds if needed. I also feel like the overall shape of the wings is not quite right, but I’m not quite sure how to explain exactly what I want. I think maybe the bullets need to be outlined separately somehow.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well yes the difference between your ring and the inspiration is the bullets are bezeled in the inspiration
That will make it even wider tho.
Maybe ask him to take them down to 1 pointers and bezel the bullets?

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, that’s exactly what I’m having trouble with! I want the bullets clearly visible, but worry the bezels would add even more to the sides. I asked David exactly this, add a bezel and make the rounds smaller. I hope this works! Thanks again!

Well yes the difference between your ring and the inspiration is the bullets are bezeled in the inspiration
That will make it even wider tho.
Maybe ask him to take them down to 1 pointers and bezel the bullets?

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
6EFE51F0-E9DF-4272-BB17-9DC5BC1B224D.jpeg Round 3! I think I’m happy with the way the sides look now, just wonder if the metal could be thinner?

@Niel, would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am glad he got more definition in the baguettes/bullets.
I don’t think that metal width is fine. You can always ask them to thin it and see if it could

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Niel! I’ll ask him about thinning the metal.

Also not sure why the stone is lowered compared with the first CAD, but I think it would benefit from being raised a bit to get more light. I think we’re almost there!

I am glad he got more definition in the baguettes/bullets.
I don’t think that metal width is fine. You can always ask them to thin it and see if it could

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not sure raising it will get much more light. I guess it’s a trade off- I prefer them lower as I don’t want them swinging around getting knocked and abraded

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore the Art Deco design. Take tons of pics when it’s done!!!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
6EFE51F0-E9DF-4272-BB17-9DC5BC1B224D.jpeg Round 3! I think I’m happy with the way the sides look now, just wonder if the metal could be thinner?

@Niel, would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks!

This one is definitely a winner for me. I love the sides now. :love:

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The four round melees in the inspiration photo sit lower than the baguettes . Is your round melees going to sit lower than the bullet shaped diamond?

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I thought it was just because because the bullets are bezeled, but you’re right, the rounds do sit lower in the original ring, good catch! I actually wanted them all lined up; without the bezel, it might I think they’d look better at the same height.

The four round melees in the inspiration photo sit lower than the baguettes . Is your round melees going to sit lower than the bullet shaped diamond?

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
7463CFD2-5B45-4C09-B462-E1B9DBB8DE58.jpeg Final CADs are here! I can’t think of single thing I want to change. Unless someone else sees anything, I think this is it!

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
@alene I think it looks great, I really like the element of the side stones now. I also got my final CAD today for a ring I am working on with DK. Are you going to insure your stone while being set, or just have it insured with the shipper while in transit?

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks Scouty!
I usually just unsure with the USPS. Not sure if David has insurance for setting, but it’s not a particularly expensive stone anyway.

Excited to see your ring too! We should be get them around the same time!

@alene I think it looks great, I really like the element of the side stones now. I also got my final CAD today for a ring I am working on with DK. Are you going to insure your stone while being set, or just have it insured with the shipper while in transit?

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
@alene David said his bench is insured during setting!

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

voce

Ideal_Rock
Alene, I'm not the best person for nitpicking CADs, but I think you picked a nice setting style, and I'm looking forward to seeing your spinel ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results