shape
carat
color
clarity

Pink Sapphire

Hammieboy

Rough_Rock
F1B5E6AF-3D29-4140-85FA-B6638C50D148.jpeg 77383B7D-BDAA-4A1B-92D2-FA45EF695612.jpeg Hey there. I have a pink sapphire rung that belonged to my great grandmother. She would be 120’ish years old if she was still alive so the ring is fairly old. My mother had the setting of the ring re-built about 25’ish years ago because the filigree was crumbling, but I don’t remember any other details about the ring. Unfortunately, my mother is no longer living so I can’t ask questions.

I would like o have the stone re-set for Christmas so I asked 2 jewelry stores if the stone was real vs lab created. The first was a large chain store that I happened to be near in my travels today. The second was a family owned local jeweler that I definitely trust more. Both jewelers agreed that they believed the stone to be authentic and both said that the only way to know for sure was to do further testing. The second jeweler is who I would use to set it and he said he felt confident enough to re-set it, knowing this was a pre-requisite for me.

I guess my questions is, with what what level of confidence can jewelers make this assumption using the tools in their shop? I have no reason to distrust them but thought it would be worth asking one more place before I invest in the stone.

I’ve included a couple of photos...excuse the manicure. ;-)

Sorry this got so long and thanks for any info!
KTC

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
To know what it is they need pro-lab testing but: This setting seems risky to open, as opposed to prongs. The bezel sits so high over the edge, I'd be scared. You might need to re-cut/polish after taking it out.

Hammieboy

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply! I spoke to a few reputable jewelers and chose one to remove it from its setting for further analysis. He did warn me, as you have, that it would be a delicate process. He explained in great detail how they would remove it so hopefully it will go ok. This piece has been in my Jewellery box for almost 30 years and I would love to make use of the stone so I am hedging my bets...fingers crossed!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not have the stone removed because it is bezeled
I would not take the jeweller's word since they do not have the necessary equipment to test the stone properly. Labs can test the stone without removing it from the setting.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You don't want to send it to GIA? They will test mounted stones.

Hammieboy

Rough_Rock
Thanks, everyone, for your replies. Not 100% sure what I’ll do as I know I am not likely to wear it in its current setting. I’ve been watching it languish in my jewelry box for 25 years. I’d love to use the stone tho so I will have to give it some thought! Thanks again!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
93F4B502-5170-4470-B225-3B748979A945.jpeg Lovely ring. But yes, they have been making synthetic sapphire (it’s the material chemical composition but grown in a lab) for over 100 years now. A jewellery who is using a Presidum gem tester can’t distinguish between natural and lab grown - same thermal conductivity.
Most jewellers aren’t also a gemologist (and certainly just a sales person behind a counter in a Chain jewellers will know even less).
Because synthetic can be so like natural, usually a gemologist with a microscope needs to check it. That’s what the AGS lab does, they can give you a lab report for around $70.
If you’re not a ring person, it would make a lovely pendant, but I prefer rings so I can admire it as well!
Here’s my pink sapphire (a lot smaller) in a pre loved ring mount I bought (cheaper!). Pink sapphire looks best in yellow gold I think.

Hammieboy

Rough_Rock
I live in a small suburb of a large city and luckily we have a couple of locally owned jewelers stores...one of whom has a gemologist as an owner, so I think they could probably be of some help. They’ve looked through the microscope but I can definitely leave it with them for more info.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you re-set the stone if it is determined to be a lab or synthetic stone? If you would not, I recommend that you send it to GIA in the setting first as suggested by @MrsKMB even though that is more expensive than sending it loose.

If you are going to re-set it either way then once it is removed have your jeweler send it to AGL or GIA. You will only know for sure if you send the stone to a reputable lab. The ring is beautiful and the color of the sapphire is gorgeous.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Lovely stone! I actually quite like the setting but alas I'm sure itd make another beautiful ring or pendant (:
What ideas do you have for setting this beauty?

And Also I'm going to echo what others have basically said here:
-Jewelers dont have the equiptment and cannot tell you with certainty and precision. They are subjective.
-A reputable lab has the exact tools and training necessary and they have it down to a science. That lab report will be objective and if it is a natural pink sapphire will only aid you in the future to obtain.

Good luck (:

Hammieboy

Rough_Rock
Thanks @Garnetgirl! It definitely is a pretty setting but Just doesn’t feel like my style. I was thinking of creating a second engagement ring possibly? I have my mother’s engagement diamond and wedding band that is very special to me and I love and also have a right hand ring that was my grandmother’s that has the same sentimental value and that I love. So I thought it might be fun to have a second, unique option as an e-ring? But I’m really not sure.... I have had so much fun stalking these message boards tho...I told my husband today that I have decided that I would like to be a jewelry designer “when I grow up”.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results