carat
color
clarity

Photographing emerald

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
s-l16001.jpg s-l16002.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
Is it possible that the emerald on the hand shot is a different emerald than that of the rest? The first two show the emerald looking mushy and cloudy... no?

I read multiple times from experienced PSers that the uglier the emerald on photos may be much prettier in real life, but this hand shot looks too different… shouldn’t I be skeptical if I am to consider buying it?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s the same emerald but it is heavily included. Emeralds are type 2 gems so inclusions are expected and part and parcel of the crystal structure. It looks better in the hand shot because it’s a stronger direct light source. The colour is nice. Does it come with a lab report ? And does the vendor have a no hassle return policy?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me that would be a little too included. I think it's the same stone in all 3 pics.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
@Bron357, thank you for commenting the post. I was hoping that you would stop by. Judging strictly based on the photos, you said that this emerald under strong direct light looks better (hand shot), does it mean that under normal indoor light setting/cloudy day, it would stay mushy at least 1/2 of the time? :think:

It does come with some cert but not an AGL though. I will need to pay the return shipping fee and have never deal with this seller before. Don't know how smooth the whole transaction would be in case of return. I very much like to see it in person but am nervous about the buying it in case the whole thing doesn't work out. Sigh!

@partgypsy, thank you for your comment too. I thought the same when I saw the low light setting shots but do love the hand shot. The glow isn't very uniform and systematic like if it's an emerald cut emerald. I am starting to like a glowing ball of green look lately. Setting isn't my cup of tea so that's another issue to have to consider.

arglthesheep

Rough_Rock
Trade
@Rad_Fan
depending on the stone variety the more light (and what kind of light) helps to make a stone better. That is an issue on fairs, as many sellers know this issue. So normally if you buy stones try it in differen light conditions. E.g. go outside or just step a few steps back from the sellers booth.

in your case the stone is included so this stone will keep looking sleepy or mushy as you use the word. With these kind of inclusions you wont get a big brilliance out of it. Colour is a second point as it can get better with better light but thats it. hope it helps.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
@Rad_Fan
depending on the stone variety the more light...
in your case the stone is included so this stone will keep looking sleepy or mushy as you use the word. With these kind of inclusions you wont get a big brilliance out of it. Colour is a second point as it can get better with better light but thats it. hope it helps.

Thanks.@arglthesheep. 2 votes for it being too included at this point, I am not sure how confident I am to order and see it in person. Seeing a cloudy green oval most the time won't be ideal. :doh:

arglthesheep

Rough_Rock
Trade
Please have in mind, that photographing emeralds is a pain ;-)
First is the colour difficult to get and second inclusions look far more prominent then in real normally.
So let them send you a video or if possible look at it in real.
But check the treatments of the stone. Normal oiling is common for emeralds and accepted. any other treatments you have to know.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems youywant a big emeralde and while emeralds are never going to be inclusion free, a stone with that many inclusions is going to be fragile and more prone to breakage. To me it's worth it to get a smaller size with less inclusions. How much less inclusions, a personal preference but I think you can do better. There are some nice emeralds at Linton gems, including a 1.5 carat cabachon.

Last edited:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Much too included to the point I'm having trouble seeing though the emerald.

What are you looking for in your emerald?
What is the level of treatment?

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
@partgypsy, I am after a faceted emerald. Been checking Linton a while but their description on treatment is very nonspecific...no?

@chrono, 3 no votes, that oval is out! I am looking for a medium to intense hue/tone, emerald/oval/pear cut, minor treatment & a 10"x9" ish spread lively emerald. No preference on origin.

I read 90%+ of the emeralds are oiled at the mines and many vendors would stay that "traditional oiling only", but isn't that a type/level of treatment to begin with? Confused!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There’s minor, medium, and major oiling.
Oiling with what type oil?
Any dye included?
Any resin added to the oil?

These are rarely disclosed!

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
There’s minor, medium, and major oiling.
Oiling with what type oil?
Any dye included?
Any resin added to the oil?

These are rarely disclosed!

No joke!

I should say that I am hoping to get a AGL Minor one in hope of avoiding future structure issues on the gem.

I even offered to pay for the cert prior to a purchase, but all I got was a no reply from that vendor.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you don't mind one on the lighter side this one is big! http://www.embassyemeralds.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=664

Here's an even bigger one!
http://www.embassyemeralds.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=663

Both of these I feel the inclusions are not so detracting.
It looks like they do not come with certs, so you would have to have a conversation with them about that, either have them do it for an additional cost, or pay for report with agreement that if any undisclosed treatments show up will return the stone.

eta I see that you say you want a stone with minor only oiling. I would talk to whatever vendor you are working for, for them to identify stones that are considered minor oiling only.

Last edited:

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
@partgypsy, thanks. Prefer the emerald shape more and the $100/ct higher price definitely reflects the deeper color. It's still included but not as mushy as the oval posted above.

I read about the vendor a few times on PS and it seems to have decent reviews. Don't think anyone has requested them to sent it to lab in advance though. Not sure if they like that. I often thing that many vendors have this "take it or leave it" type of business practice.

Is that really true that setting could deepen the color of an emerald? I think I read it somewhere here a few times.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
@voce, thanks. it's worth $1800/ct in your opinion? Pictures were taken under "special" light, wonder if it would look dull under normal setting.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I think as long as you can return it, what's the risk of getting it to see in person? It's also almost 10 carats, so IMO $1800/ct is worth it because it's much rarer than the 5 ct stones for the same quality. I know if I could afford it, which one I would prefer to pass on to my children of grandchildren in the future.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
@voce, You really think LONG term...:lol: I just prefer not to have to fuss with return. Never have deal with the vendor and have not idea how big of headache it would be.

BTW, what is the difference between buying from sellers on eBay vs on Etsy?

voce

Ideal_Rock
For me it's a litmus test. I only want to buy pieces that will hold their value over time, or have a decent chance to. Hence, no diamond center stone unless it's colored.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Interesting logic.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me, I buy what I love, and what I think it is worth price-wise at the time. Why buy a 10 carat ring when you would be more comfortable (hand and wallet) wearing a 5 carat ring? I do have a preference for smaller but higher quality stones though.
Assuming any gem or jewelry is going to appreciate significantly more than inflation is speculative. If you want to invest in jewelry, buy 22 carat gold close near spot price. Otherwise wear it because you love it.

I purchased a stone from Embassy emerald, after buying and then returning 2 emeralds from other storefronts (the stones looked significantly different than from website). In contrast their stones looked as good (or better) than their photos, and at least the stones I got were nicely clean. I did sell my emerald from them because I was going through a lot of life changes (still am!) but have nothing but good things to say about them as well as their stones. I was comfortable purchasing stones from them sans grading reports. There's not too many places I feel like that re: emeralds.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The gemstone project has a nice untreated one (but pricetag is comensurate)

https://www.etsy.com/sg-en/listing/...-untreated-very-clean?ref=shop_home_active_96

Otherwise OTL has one for sale with an AGL brief, you could ask her what the treatment level was

https://www.etsy.com/sg-en/listing/...-classic-vivid-bluish?ref=shop_home_active_38

Finally Yvonne Raley can almost certainly source one for you. You would just need to negotiate with her that you want the vendor to say it is oil only, and also an AGL brief saying minor treatment.

I would normally say emerald embassy, since their prices tend to be much lower than these other options and their inventory is large. But if you are interested in minor treatment only and a GIA or AGL report to back that up, then I don't think they are the best vendor.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
If you want to invest in jewelry, buy 22 carat gold close near spot price. Otherwise wear it because you love it.

+1

I purchased a stone from Embassy emerald, after buying and then returning 2 emeralds from other storefronts (the stones looked significantly different than from website). In contrast their stones looked as good (or better) than their photos, and at least the stones I got were nicely clean. I did sell my emerald from them because I was going through a lot of life changes (still am!) but have nothing but good things to say about them as well as their stones. I was comfortable purchasing stones from them sans grading reports. There's not too many places I feel like that re: emeralds.

Thanks for sharing your experience with EE. I hope things are going better for you even though we don't know each other. I did save a copy of your emerald ring for reference a while back because the color with the YG was awesome! You did capture the emerald very well!

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
@qubitasaurus. Thanks for the detailed comment, appreciate it. The 2nd one is delish looking!

I did reach out to another vendor in a similar way but ended up not buying it. I felt that when it's not an "in house" stone, the typical store policy doesn't apply. It's more like a "take it or leave it" situation. The stone didn't sing to me from pictures and I was kind of nervous about the uncertainly of buying it unseen.
I felt somewhat "vulnerable" unless I see what's currently available from vendors...!

Would love to hear from someone with a successful story otherwise.

Regarding EE, they have decent reviews on PS and majority of the listings say "Cedar Oil", so what does it mean...?
Should I automatically consider them at least AGL moderate or GIA F2 + level of treatments? Somewhat worry about having to retreat the emerald a few years later.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Is "oiled" do not count as "treatment" on emerald? :confused:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It does count as a treatment, but it almost universally done. It is a less invasive type treatment than say resin, plastic, or colored oils. I would ask the vendor for any particular stone whether the oiling is considered light, moderate, etc. Basically the clearer the stone, the less surface-reaching fissures there will be, and less oil introduced. I honestly think that x01 5 carat emerald at Embassy Emeralds seems like a good deal because the inclusions are pleasing rather than detracting, and it has prominent cut corners which you don't always get. I don't like that it doesn't have a side view photo though.

Last edited:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I consider oiling as invasive as other methods. For me, what counts most is the stability and level of treatment. I have no issues with the very modern resin as long as it isn't coloured, it is stable, permanent, and minor.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
@partgypsy, thanks for sharing those. I like the looks and will study them in detailed later. Didn't realized that vendor offers videos. X01 might have windows?

@chrono, yep and nobody tells it like AGL.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results