shape
carat
color
clarity

Pawn Shop Splurge

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone,

I had read about pawn shops being an option for finding old cuts, and was passing a shop last week and stopped just because the PS community was on my mind that day (I wear a beautiful wonky small OMC with a chip, and maybe I was feeling a bit wistful about it).

Inside, past the lawn mowers and DVD players, there were some vintage pieces in floodlighted cases, with wildly inflated prices. I didn’t find anything good, so I thanked the youngster behind the counter and moved toward the door to leave. I softly said, “I don’t suppose you have any old broken stuff in the back” and she perked up, offering to ask the boss. He came out with a tray of more overpriced vintage 1970’s junk and I thanked them and started to retreat again, when another tray was presented from the back, this time with plastic bags of actually broken mountings and some old oddities.

I immediately spied a large silvery scrap heap of what must have been ring tops, old earrings, and a crooked bale. They’d been hastily soldered together in what could only be experienced as a Migraine of stones, and slapped on the very end was a nice clean old cut in a delicate earring mount, with a sweet satellite old cut struggling to hang on for dear life.

The pawn boss asserted proudly that they were Rose cuts in platinum, and very very good…. and I did my best not to react at all because even a newbie like me knew better. I kept my best pie-eyed expression, agreeing to everything he said, and even though my 60X loupe with built-in UV/blue light was in my purse, I dared not pull it out. I mumbled that I was blind without my glasses and he offered a filthy 10X loupe. Even then, it was breathtaking.

I didn’t haggle very much. I could have pressed harder, but this beautiful old soul lay helpless before me and I just loved her and knew it was right somehow. She needed rescuing! I think the boss really believed they weren’t going to sell, so he set a price for the stone. I just asked nicely if there was any way to bring it down just slightly since they hadn’t been able to sell it. We exchanged pleasantries and he was very mannerly. Not intimidating or condescending at all.

As they rang me up, the bench jeweller in the back snipped apart the cluster headache of a pendant into this glommed duo. I hadn’t planned to buy the little orphan on the end, so I never really louped it! Naturally, I didn’t complain because the price he gave me was pretty good for just the one stone so I felt like the little baby was a gift.

The baby is sparkly, white, and just over 2.5MM, and the main stone is just over 6MM, a disco ball with only a slight yellow tint. Of course, neither is Rose cut, and as for platinum, I think it is unlikely. The receipt stated “.84 diamonds TCW (2)” and that’s not reliable but it doesn't matter as they aren't shallow and the spread is lovely. I feel that the baby girl is a Mine cut, and the main stone is either Mine or Transitional but I leave that up to wiser brains. As for the weight, that’ll come when they are reset (separately).

I’ll get two settings after the holidays (ahhh budget bust) but in the meantime, they hang on my antique lavalier and I’m having fun looking for the right mounts. The pics really don't do them justice. There aren't any visible inclusions even at 60X!

Thanks for letting me share their story. I’m feeling happy and hopeful, and I wish the same for everyone here. <3
FullSizeRender-2.jpeg oldcutLagniappe.jpeg FullSizeRender-1.jpeg

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    146.1 KB · Views: 19

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a lovely find!! :love: Thank you for sharing with us! Do you know how you plan on resetting it?

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I was thinking the baby could be a casual DBTY style, a miniature version of the milgrain bezel that Brian Gavin does. I've never worn that fixed-pendant style before and it might be great... but who knows?

As for the main stone, no real thoughts on it yet. I'm still swooning :)

ETA, maybe the main stone belongs on the Lavalier, but in a better basket?

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
what a great find. You're a lucky PSer!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG I Just love them on the necklace like that!!! What a good find! Meant to be! Wow.

Sooooo how good a deal did you get? Was it a happy dance (pretty darn good), a jump for joy (crazy good) or a high jump into galaxies of happiness (practically criminal)??! :lol-2:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Lol PearAffair!
Ok I’m sorry if it is vulgar to share the price, but since you asked, it was $420 and no tax. Now, I know that’s not the best deal I could have gotten, but I’m an amateur and it was low enough to cheer me up on an otherwise sad day. In comparison to my Avatar here, I paid one-fifth the price of my ring for this new pair of stones and got better clarity and cut. So, I suppose a bargain is a relative term! I hope it isn’t rude to share that info.

Hmmmm maybe I should swap my new stone into my avatar setting? Improve the ring?

Last edited:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very beautiful- and wonderful that they are in such good shape. Both look like old European cuts to me and the larger one at a tad over 6 mm is probably right around the .8 carat mark. You did very well at paying the price that you did.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Very beautiful- and wonderful that they are in such good shape. Both look like old European cuts to me and the larger one at a tad over 6 mm is probably right around the .8 carat mark. You did very well at paying the price that you did.
Thank you so much. I really appreciate your input!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Omg..My heart would have skipped a beat if I found them! I can’t wait to see what you do with them! :love:

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a great find! I think that you sharing the price that you paid is very helpful for others who may be trying to score amazing deals.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I know what you mean about haggling with dealers when you’re already giddy about what you’ve found. :whistle: I never thought to ask about broken pieces! That is a good idea!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh how fantastic! You did great with those - the table on the wee baby is so teeny :love:

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great find! Looking forward to seeing what you're going to do with them, they're so pretty!

JmeeMrie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone,

I had read about pawn shops being an option for finding old cuts, and was passing a shop last week and stopped just because the PS community was on my mind that day (I wear a beautiful wonky small OMC with a chip, and maybe I was feeling a bit wistful about it).

Inside, past the lawn mowers and DVD players, there were some vintage pieces in floodlighted cases, with wildly inflated prices. I didn’t find anything good, so I thanked the youngster behind the counter and moved toward the door to leave. I softly said, “I don’t suppose you have any old broken stuff in the back” and she perked up, offering to ask the boss. He came out with a tray of more overpriced vintage 1970’s junk and I thanked them and started to retreat again, when another tray was presented from the back, this time with plastic bags of actually broken mountings and some old oddities.

I immediately spied a large silvery scrap heap of what must have been ring tops, old earrings, and a crooked bale. They’d been hastily soldered together in what could only be experienced as a Migraine of stones, and slapped on the very end was a nice clean old cut in a delicate earring mount, with a sweet satellite old cut struggling to hang on for dear life.

The pawn boss asserted proudly that they were Rose cuts in platinum, and very very good…. and I did my best not to react at all because even a newbie like me knew better. I kept my best pie-eyed expression, agreeing to everything he said, and even though my 60X loupe with built-in UV/blue light was in my purse, I dared not pull it out. I mumbled that I was blind without my glasses and he offered a filthy 10X loupe. Even then, it was breathtaking.

I didn’t haggle very much. I could have pressed harder, but this beautiful old soul lay helpless before me and I just loved her and knew it was right somehow. She needed rescuing! I think the boss really believed they weren’t going to sell, so he set a price for the stone. I just asked nicely if there was any way to bring it down just slightly since they hadn’t been able to sell it. We exchanged pleasantries and he was very mannerly. Not intimidating or condescending at all.

As they rang me up, the bench jeweller in the back snipped apart the cluster headache of a pendant into this glommed duo. I hadn’t planned to buy the little orphan on the end, so I never really louped it! Naturally, I didn’t complain because the price he gave me was pretty good for just the one stone so I felt like the little baby was a gift.

The baby is sparkly, white, and just over 2.5MM, and the main stone is just over 6MM, a disco ball with only a slight yellow tint. Of course, neither is Rose cut, and as for platinum, I think it is unlikely. The receipt stated “.84 diamonds TCW (2)” and that’s not reliable but it doesn't matter as they aren't shallow and the spread is lovely. I feel that the baby girl is a Mine cut, and the main stone is either Mine or Transitional but I leave that up to wiser brains. As for the weight, that’ll come when they are reset (separately).

I’ll get two settings after the holidays (ahhh budget bust) but in the meantime, they hang on my antique lavalier and I’m having fun looking for the right mounts. The pics really don't do them justice. There aren't any visible inclusions even at 60X!

Thanks for letting me share their story. I’m feeling happy and hopeful, and I wish the same for everyone here. <3
FullSizeRender-2.jpeg oldcutLagniappe.jpeg FullSizeRender-1.jpeg

I always secretly hope to find things like this in pawn shops or antique stores.. hasn't happened yet. Congrats on the beautiful find.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’ve never been in a pawn shop..but now I’m looking for them in my phone! I bet antique dealers know what a stone is worth and had them appraised. Do you think you can get a deal in them? Don’t they get their things appraised before selling them? I know lots of antique places don’t have a return policy so you would have to bring a loupe and take your best guess..I’m excited to check all the antique places near me!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
would have to bring a loupe and take your best guess

This is how I felt at the time. Idon’t carry my diamond testing pen around but maybe I should. I checked for single refraction, and then exhaled on the stone to see if condensation would cling. There was no carbon/feathers, so I was thinking that at least my risk was limited to fracture-filled, etc. Mom always said “if something seems too good to be true, it probably is” lol!

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think you got a great price and these two lovely stones were just waiting for you to rescue them!! They’re beautiful :)

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is how I felt at the time. Idon’t carry my diamond testing pen around but maybe I should. I checked for single refraction, and then exhaled on the stone to see if condensation would cling. There was no carbon/feathers, so I was thinking that at least my risk was limited to fracture-filled, etc. Mom always said “if something seems too good to be true, it probably is” lol!
Diamond testing pen? Boy I get an education on here! Where do I buy one of those? :read:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice fine...keep us posted what you do with them!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Diamond testing pen? Boy I get an education on here! Where do I buy one of those? :read:

I bought mine on amazon, along with a gold chemical testing kit, a spectrometer, a digital scale, a set of steel files, and a 100X loupe. I might have gone a little overboard. But they’ve all come in handy so far.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bought mine on amazon, along with a gold chemical testing kit, a spectrometer, a digital scale, a set of steel files, and a 100X loupe. I might have gone a little overboard. But they’ve all come in handy so far.
:eek2: You girls are out of my league! I do have a digital scale from when I went to WW and I have used it! I have a loupe that’s stronger than my regular 10X but I usually use my 10. If I start bringing out all the other stuff...my family will really think I’ve lost it! :lol:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
So, I trimmed them apart, and tried each of them on this old scrap chain. I wore the tiny one for quite a while but then DSS happened, and I finally put the baby away and swapped out the big mama, and have been enjoying. Still no decision on how to set them, but at least this is wearable and comfortable for the moment.

I've been driving past the pawn shop lately and have resisted. Too many projects! Too much indecision!
IMG_3793-1.jpeg IMG_3816-1.jpeg

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Girl I need to go pawn shopping with you! That’s a great price for those lovelies

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
@KK we would be dangerous to any pawn shop owner! lol

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results