shape
carat
color
clarity

PSers that Quilt

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got a few requests to post pictures of some of my quilts from folks over on Rocky Talky. This year, I fell off the Rocky Talky map while I worked on charity quilts. I committed to making 10 charity quilts for the holidays with a focus on boys that are in foster care. I finished 5 done myself. When I knew I would not make the deadline, I enlisted my mom to make 4 and a friend to make 3. So, together we mailed off 12 before the holidays.

As is always the case, I mailed mine them off before taking proper photos. This is the last of 5 like this I made in the same color palette to appeal to older boys in foster care. Piecing these takes about 4 hours each and the quilting takes about 15 hours each. This is the last one in this color set.

On this last one for this round and I'm about 2/3 done. I quilt the thread designs free-hand using a long-arm machine that I sit down at (called free-motion quilting). I use clamps and bungee cords to hang the quilt into order to make it move a bit better under the needle. Its a bit like sketching with thread. There are also words of love and support and strength tucked into the quilting here and there. They are like little easter-eggs for the kids to find.

20190107_193438.jpg 20190107_193417.jpg

20190107_193441.jpg

I was asked to make a quilt for the same charity for a wheel-chair bound boy with FAS. They sent me a list of his favorite things and this is what I came up with. I quilted in words and spirals in the lower half of love and support. There are hearts and a few little sparkly unicorns pieced into the back.

20181018_195659.jpg
IMG_20180929_212916_283 (1).jpg

Art quilts just for me.

turtle1.jpg

Quilt given to my sister for a big birthday this year.
IMG_20180724_184918.jpg

Do you have quilts to share? Please feel free to post your quilts!!

Attachments

• 20190107_193431.jpg
    20190107_193431.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 14

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
9387F454-BE8B-4E84-94A4-706B508BBC1D.jpeg I don’t quilt, but I have long admired the beauty, craftspersonship and art of quilting. Here in Sydney we have a few “fairs’ and I enjoy going along and being wowed by the magnificent creations. One year the winning quilt was a Great Barrier Reef theme (your lovely Turtle reminded me). Magnificent.
Me, I crochet. I’m currently working towards a Guinness Book of records for the largest single granny square (that’s just going around and around). It will need to be about 12 meters square. The photo is at about 4 meters square, it’s now over 6 meters square. I only really need to do another 2 1/2 meters more because it’s allowed to be “stretched out” for measuring,

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Those look amazing!!

While I’ve done a little quilting, most of my sewing these days is on garments. But I can appreciate the work, creativity, and love that you put into those quilts!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I quilt,but like you, I give most away. I know I have posted them here before. I make a lot of baby blankets these days. They are really simple. My grandson calls them ya-ya’s. I made them for my own kids and they loved them. They are really just two 45 inch pieces of flannel with satin blanket binding around them. I often embroider the baby’s name on them.
I am making 6 for my daughters best friends baby as well as a baby quilt from a Country Threads pattern. And have about twenty more to make just to have on hand for other babies. I just got the fabrics for the 6 starched. It makes them easier to work with.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
F3A94994-925F-443D-B387-032EF9D4E2DD.jpeg Here is my set of fabrics for the next batch of blankets. After that, I will be making this Lisa Bongean pillow for my bunco group in February.

Attachments

• AA353297-F009-423E-994D-3F090C34EF3C.jpeg
    AA353297-F009-423E-994D-3F090C34EF3C.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 17

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would love to own a long arm. I currently sew on a Bernina 830. I understand that Bernina new machine will come out in a couple years. If that machine is awesome I will purchase it- I can quilt just fine on my current machine but would love some of the updated embroidery features that some of the other machines havelike the pinpoint laser placement. I also am looking at a handiquilter Avante with the small frame.
I am way invested in my Bernina to switch brands, and I just like the feel of them. Rocky, what kind of longarm do you like best?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! These are all so beautiful!! I have been wanting a nicely made quilt, but MAN... are they expensive these days! I remember going to my hometown's "Old Fashioned 4th of July" celebration each year as a kid, and there were at least 3-4 quilt booths set up. You could buy a full or queen sized quilt for less than $100!! I know times change, but it's virtually impossible to find one for less than $300!

If anyone has used a specific vendor and has been pleased with the quality and design of their quilts, please pass it on to me. I'd like to have one for the living room (just to cover up and cuddle with) and one for the new baby's room.

This one is so nice! I really like the pattern and vibrant colors.

img_20180724_184918-jpg.669033

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know a lot of quilters...I've made 2, and they were very simple baby quilts. Here's a thread from a quilt show I went to last year:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/indiana-heritage-quilt-show-pics.238495/

AGBF always has great contributions re quilts, maybe she will chime in here. I can't remember if Cozystitches makes quilts, I know she sews a lot. There were several other PSrs who make quilts, I beileve.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amazing, what a talent.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I quilt! :D Currently working on my eldest's graduation quilt. She graduates in May of 2020, so I have some time, but I'm doing it all by hand: quilting AND sewing. :D I agree with quilts being expensive. So very expensive (the batting was over $30 for a TWIN, I use wool and I like it better). I spend money on quality fabric from an actual quilting store vs JoAnns or Walmart. I made a quilt for my dad several years ago, fabric from wherever (mix of Joanns & WM), and the fabric doesn't looks very worn :( I don't think it helps by going into the dryer. The fabrics from the quilt store are just better. I don't really know how much money I've spent on her quilt, but I'm happy at how it's looking so far, and so is my daughter :D The center panel is my own design (Dresden flowers and a pieced butterfly from some pattern online), the wide "borders" are the Mischief pattern by DIY addict it's English Paper Piecing and is wonderful because it's portable! :D Daughter picked out paint samples to represent colors that she wanted, and I went to the store to find matches (and then found some fun ones as well). :D Edited to add a pic of the center alone :D
20190103_191220.jpg

IMG_20181125_194716 (1).jpg

Last edited:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
9387F454-BE8B-4E84-94A4-706B508BBC1D.jpeg I don’t quilt, but I have long admired the beauty, craftspersonship and art of quilting. Here in Sydney we have a few “fairs’ and I enjoy going along and being wowed by the magnificent creations. One year the winning quilt was a Great Barrier Reef theme (your lovely Turtle reminded me). Magnificent.
Me, I crochet. I’m currently working towards a Guinness Book of records for the largest single granny square (that’s just going around and around). It will need to be about 12 meters square. The photo is at about 4 meters square, it’s now over 6 meters square. I only really need to do another 2 1/2 meters more because it’s allowed to be “stretched out” for measuring,
Wow!!! just wow. I can't crochet to save my life. I just can't read the patterns.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I quilt,but like you, I give most away. I know I have posted them here before. I make a lot of baby blankets these days. They are really simple. My grandson calls them ya-ya’s. I made them for my own kids and they loved them. They are really just two 45 inch pieces of flannel with satin blanket binding around them. I often embroider the baby’s name on them.
I am making 6 for my daughters best friends baby as well as a baby quilt from a Country Threads pattern. And have about twenty more to make just to have on hand for other babies. I just got the fabrics for the 6 starched. It makes them easier to work with.
What a nice idea. So fast. I have to keep telling myself that everything does not need to be quilted to death!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would love to own a long arm. I currently sew on a Bernina 830. I understand that Bernina new machine will come out in a couple years. If that machine is awesome I will purchase it- I can quilt just fine on my current machine but would love some of the updated embroidery features that some of the other machines havelike the pinpoint laser placement. I also am looking at a handiquilter Avante with the small frame.
I am way invested in my Bernina to switch brands, and I just like the feel of them. Rocky, what kind of longarm do you like best?

My Juki uses the same stitch regulation system and many other features of your Bernina. I like that feature quite a bit, although I find dark back fabric can confuse it a bit. My Juki can move to a frame, if my house every grows another room. I bought it for that feature, figuring that I'd be able to use it to grow into a larger machine and frame. I wake up every day hoping my house grew! My dream is for a 14-foot frame.

I've used long-arms on frames where I pay by the hour. My favorite are the Handiquilters and Grace machines. I do like when they are stitch regulated, although I often turn my off. I've done free motion for so long that I find the stitch regulation distracting for some patterns. But, my 9-year old LOVES it. Ist a like driving a car and "Zooms". I was not a fan of some of the APQS machines, but there were certainly older. I really like to have a clear threading path as my eyes age. I think in a few years you'll see quite a bit of innovation and convenience added to the more basic machines.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! These are all so beautiful!! I have been wanting a nicely made quilt, but MAN... are they expensive these days! I remember going to my hometown's "Old Fashioned 4th of July" celebration each year as a kid, and there were at least 3-4 quilt booths set up. You could buy a full or queen sized quilt for less than $100!! I know times change, but it's virtually impossible to find one for less than $300!

If anyone has used a specific vendor and has been pleased with the quality and design of their quilts, please pass it on to me. I'd like to have one for the living room (just to cover up and cuddle with) and one for the new baby's room.

This one is so nice! I really like the pattern and vibrant colors.
Thank you. This was a labor of love for my sister. For cost estimates, there are 12 yards of fabric (*$10/yard in the US = $120), the batting was $40 (wool/silk). I quilted on this for 30 hours (*$30/hr = $900). So, that would put the cost at $1160 if I were charging someone. If I had not custom quilted this, that would bring the cost down to around $600. Its a very expensive art form.

But, I did a bit of sleuthing on Etsy.

Something like this is a faster-pieced quilt with less intricate quilting. IT has the batik fabrics like the one I made. https://www.etsy.com/listing/658738...k-quilt-rain-forest-40?ref=shop_home_active_8

This one is lovely and has more white space and intricate piecing.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/646710...=sr_gallery-1-17&organic_search_click=1&frs=1

The black contrasting with the batiks is a classic combination I use all the time.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/221838...ilt&ref=sr_gallery-1-9&organic_search_click=1

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I quilt! :D Currently working on my eldest's graduation quilt. She graduates in May of 2020, so I have some time, but I'm doing it all by hand: quilting AND sewing. :D I agree with quilts being expensive. So very expensive (the batting was over $30 for a TWIN, I use wool and I like it better). I spend money on quality fabric from an actual quilting store vs JoAnns or Walmart. I made a quilt for my dad several years ago, fabric from wherever (mix of Joanns & WM), and the fabric doesn't looks very worn :( I don't think it helps by going into the dryer. The fabrics from the quilt store are just better. I don't really know how much money I've spent on her quilt, but I'm happy at how it's looking so far, and so is my daughter :D The center panel is my own design (Dresden flowers and a pieced butterfly from some pattern online), the wide "borders" are the Mischief pattern by DIY addict it's English Paper Piecing and is wonderful because it's portable! :D Daughter picked out paint samples to represent colors that she wanted, and I went to the store to find matches (and then found some fun ones as well). :D Edited to add a pic of the center alone :D
20190103_191220.jpg

IMG_20181125_194716 (1).jpg
What a gorgeous pattern and I love that the colors all play together so well. I use a lot of batiiks, so I find these neutral palettes so eye-catching. Please post some progress shots! I can't wait to see where this goes.

Edited to add. One way I save on fabric, it to use sheets for solids and piecing. As long as you stick with 80% or more cotton (not sateen...its a fur magnet) and 300 tpi or less, its an amazing way to save on fabrics. I use higher thread count, but just need to be mindful to slow down during quilting. I can't think of a single quilt I've made in the last decade that did not have sheets in it. I also use minky blankets for backings. I wait until BJs has a close-out and stock up on all the less complex patterned one. They show the quilting to beautifully and I love the soft feeling. Here in New England, i'll still add batting.

I'll have to pull out some other quilts to photo, but I had to put away all my bed quilts. I have a cat with an utter obsession with chewing on my handmade quilts. Its like living with a cookie cutter shark. After he went for my batik quilt wiht houses, they had to be put away. I'm working on making a wall hanging system so that I can at least see more of them. I have a few art quilts on the walls, but it just not enough.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you. This was a labor of love for my sister. For cost estimates, there are 12 yards of fabric (*$10/yard in the US = $120), the batting was $40 (wool/silk). I quilted on this for 30 hours (*$30/hr = $900). So, that would put the cost at $1160 if I were charging someone. If I had not custom quilted this, that would bring the cost down to around $600. Its a very expensive art form.

But, I did a bit of sleuthing on Etsy.

Something like this is a faster-pieced quilt with less intricate quilting. IT has the batik fabrics like the one I made. https://www.etsy.com/listing/658738...k-quilt-rain-forest-40?ref=shop_home_active_8

This one is lovely and has more white space and intricate piecing.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/646710...=sr_gallery-1-17&organic_search_click=1&frs=1

The black contrasting with the batiks is a classic combination I use all the time.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/221838...ilt&ref=sr_gallery-1-9&organic_search_click=1

Dang... I was way off base in my expectations versus the reality of how much quilts cost! Thanks so much! I will certainly check those out!! :kiss2:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dang... I was way off base in my expectations versus the reality of how much quilts cost! Thanks so much! I will certainly check those out!! :kiss2:
I'm glad I could point you to a few leads. I think we just live with quilts surrounding us, if we are lucky. They seem so loving and part of life. They are like a hug. How do value a hug or gift from a loved one? I once went to a quilt auction with my mom, and there were quilts going for $10k and more simply due to the beauty of the workmanship. I'm decidedly average compared to anyone at that level! I love that quilting allows me to play with color and pattern (in a way that costs far less than gemstones and platinum :lol-2:)

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous pattern and I love that the colors all play together so well. I use a lot of batiiks, so I find these neutral palettes so eye-catching. Please post some progress shots! I can't wait to see where this goes.

Thanks! :D I love the look of batiks, but they HURT to handquilt. There are some batiks included in this quilt that I will cry when it comes to quilting them. I post quite a lot on Instagram you can find me there under the same name. ;-)

AV_

Ideal_Rock

:clap::clap::clap: To all who quilt!

I do miss that heavy-ish wormth of wool quilts... - & saw those being made by hand in our house (somewhat differently, with sparse hif¡dden stitching done with finger-long needles - else it'd take years not days & the wool would ball up) - rather in awe with it all. Had almost forgotten ::) ... [promisse not to up & start one - for now]

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium

:clap::clap::clap: To all who quilt!

I do miss that heavy-ish wormth of wool quilts... - & saw those being made by hand in our house (somewhat differently, with sparse hif¡dden stitching done with finger-long needles - else it'd take years not days & the wool would ball up) - rather in awe with it all. Had almost forgotten ::) ... [promisse not to up & start one - for now]
This sounds like a wonderful quilt. It must have been hand quilted using a long doll needle. I do that too when I'm hand-tying. I use a really long needle so I don't have any thread-tails sticking out. My son loves heavy quilts and I'm always looking for way to reach that goal. If you decide to give it a try, show us!

Last edited:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! :D I love the look of batiks, but they HURT to handquilt. There are some batiks included in this quilt that I will cry when it comes to quilting them. I post quite a lot on Instagram you can find me there under the same name. ;-)
Oh yes. Hand quilting batiks would be agony! But, I have so little patience for hand sewing that all of it is agony for me. I adore the look and outcome, but just can't make myself implement it.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
[promisse not to up & start one - for now]
But, its so much fun...think of how snuggly you'll feel being under a quilt of your own making??? ;)2:twisted2:

Oh yes. Hand quilting batiks would be agony! But, I have so little patience for hand sewing that all of it is agony for me. I adore the look and outcome, but just can't make myself implement it.

I like hand quilting because it's quieter than my machines. :lol: Husband doesn't fuss as much, and I enjoy it. :D

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad I could point you to a few leads. I think we just live with quilts surrounding us, if we are lucky. They seem so loving and part of life. They are like a hug. How do value a hug or gift from a loved one? I once went to a quilt auction with my mom, and there were quilts going for $10k and more simply due to the beauty of the workmanship. I'm decidedly average compared to anyone at that level! I love that quilting allows me to play with color and pattern (in a way that costs far less than gemstones and platinum :lol-2:)

I’m from the South, so I grew up with quilts, many handed down from relatives... so I had absolutely no clue how expensive they were to make! I wish I’d taken better care of the ones I have... :sick:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But, its so much fun...think of how snuggly you'll feel being under a quilt of your own making??? ;)2:twisted2:

I like hand quilting because it's quieter than my machines. :lol: Husband doesn't fuss as much, and I enjoy it. :D
LOL. My husband is a woodworker. No tool I own can possibly be as loud as his tools. I wear blue-tooth head phones when I use my long-arm and he uses them when using his tools.

But, I AM currently winning the "most expensive tool used for a hobby" in the house with my Juki Miyabi.

I wish I’d taken better care of the ones I have... :sick:
Maybe. But, every quilter just wants the quilt to be used and loved. To wrap you in a hug. I'd be heart-broken if a quilt I made was still perfect a decade after I gifted it. I offer a life-time repair service for any quilt I make and gifted to make sure people will actually use them. For little kids, I often will cut off the first binding and add borders to make it bigger as they get bigger. Just love the quilt (and don't use them to line a dog crate or wrap furniture during moving).

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Juki uses the same stitch regulation system and many other features of your Bernina. I like that feature quite a bit, although I find dark back fabric can confuse it a bit. My Juki can move to a frame, if my house every grows another room. I bought it for that feature, figuring that I'd be able to use it to grow into a larger machine and frame. I wake up every day hoping my house grew! My dream is for a 14-foot frame.

I've used long-arms on frames where I pay by the hour. My favorite are the Handiquilters and Grace machines. I do like when they are stitch regulated, although I often turn my off. I've done free motion for so long that I find the stitch regulation distracting for some patterns. But, my 9-year old LOVES it. Ist a like driving a car and "Zooms". I was not a fan of some of the APQS machines, but there were certainly older. I really like to have a clear threading path as my eyes age. I think in a few years you'll see quite a bit of innovation and convenience added to the more basic machines.

I know quite a few people that have the Juki and love it. Everytime I go to a show I spend a bit of time playing with the long arm machine. I totally agree with you-I didn't like the APQS machines at all. Gammil was ok, some of the cheapo long arms were ridiculous. I can't believe people buy them. The skipped stitches and were so jerky. I have a friend who is an educator with Handiquilter, and she started with a Gammil and then moved to an Avante. She loves it. I keep wanting to take the classes so I can use a Handiquilter. I need to get ahead of the game because when I have a quilt finished I don't want to wait. I am pretty proficient at quilting with my home machine but I love the fluidity of the long arm. I think I want to start with the Little Foot frame and then progress to the larger as my older kids leave.
Cant wait for the next show here in two weeks. Road to California. If you have never been, it is worth a road trip. One of the best in the country, I think.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe. But, every quilter just wants the quilt to be used and loved. To wrap you in a hug. I'd be heart-broken if a quilt I made was still perfect a decade after I gifted it. I offer a life-time repair service for any quilt I make and gifted to make sure people will actually use them. For little kids, I often will cut off the first binding and add borders to make it bigger as they get bigger. Just love the quilt (and don't use them to line a dog crate or wrap furniture during moving).

They've certainly been loved! They were given to my family by my grandmother (made by my great great aunt). My family has used them for over 40 years! Now I have one that is so worn that the batting is coming out (and has been for years) -- but it's soooo soft and comfy! Holes, stains... I don't care. It's pretty muchy my favorite comfort item.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They've certainly been loved! They were given to my family by my grandmother (made by my great great aunt). My family has used them for over 40 years! Now I have one that is so worn that the batting is coming out (and has been for years) -- but it's soooo soft and comfy! Holes, stains... I don't care. It's pretty muchy my favorite comfort item.
Then, your foremothers are thrilled. That is the job and purpose of the quilt. To give love and comfort.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results